Production Modultra LOBO: Direct die kit gauging interest.

What materail and finish would you be interested for your build?

• Stainless steel.

• Brass with nickel plating.

• Raw brass with internal nickel plating.

Results are only viewable after voting.

xredlinexx1

Average Stuffer
Mar 18, 2019
Has anyone determined the minimum cooler height possible? Is it possible to fit in a 48mm max cooler height case, with say the Koolance low profile right angle fittings?

Edit: Being 20.5mm tall, looks like it should be able to. The koolance fittings are around 20mm. The ekwb class angles fitting might just fit to at 28mm (though might require slightly shorter motherboard standoffs to fit).

Does the 20.5 height include the in/out ports?

Last edited:

Vareen

Caliper Novice
Aug 21, 2021
Read back for the guys that did the initial testing, with photos. There's one there comparing it against an aquanaut.

Alloy Craft

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Modultra
Oct 25, 2019
Has anyone determined the minimum cooler height possible? Is it possible to fit in a 48mm max cooler height case, with say the Koolance low profile right angle fittings?

Edit: Being 20.5mm tall, looks like it should be able to. The koolance fittings are around 20mm. The ekwb class angles fitting might just fit to at 28mm (though might require slightly shorter motherboard standoffs to fit).

Does the 20.5 height include the in/out ports?

Total height from cold plate to fitting surface is 20.7mm (.813 in) Total height of unit with the Modultra conductor heatsink would be 44.5mm (1.751in). If you are brave enough to go with the stock Laing DDC housing total height is 41.6mm (1.635). Fittings are up to you at this point, but eventually we will be releasing a low profile right angle fitting as well as barb style fitting.

Last edited:

Alloy Craft

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Modultra
Oct 25, 2019
Apparently some people are having issues with 12th gen processors bowing due to high retention forces and flexible motherboards. I came across this in an article on Igors lab. Because of this I ditched the idea of using a plastic back plate and designed one specifically for the LOBO. Our Intel back plate will be made from 12Ga steel to help alleviate any issues with processor and mother board deformation. Unfortunately this will drive the cost for the Intel version up a little compared to the AMD version.

Also I am thinking about designing a one piece back plate that would replace the flexible stock socket backplate. and also retain the thermal solution. A 1 piece design would be loads more rigid than what comes with boards now.

And lastly the conductor heatsink is going to have a few different designs to choose from in regards to the pattern on top. Here is a photo of one of the designs. The engraving is purely cosmetic but is a good addition I think to keep things spicy.

The other 2 are going to be based off of these vector art files.

cps_goodbuy

Caliper Novice
Feb 12, 2020
Apparently some people are having issues with 12th gen processors bowing due to high retention forces and flexible motherboards. I came across this in an article on Igors lab. Because of this I ditched the idea of using a plastic back plate and designed one specifically for the LOBO. Our Intel back plate will be made from 12Ga steel to help alleviate any issues with processor and mother board deformation. Unfortunately this will drive the cost for the Intel version up a little compared to the AMD version.

Also I am thinking about designing a one piece back plate that would replace the flexible stock socket backplate. and also retain the thermal solution. A 1 piece design would be loads more rigid than what comes with boards now.

Nice backplate design and loving the DDC heatsinks.

Regarding the backplate, if the motherboards are prone to warping, perhaps the forces applied to the motherboard between the heatsink mounting points and the cpu socket are still an issue even with the metal backplate. Maybe consider a CPU socket and heatsink combo backplate to replace the stock cpu one? This eliminates bending forces because of a single mounting plane.

I use an old black EKWB MX backplate that served me well over the years, no warping or bending of motherboards and it sits flush against the motherboard which is perfect for sandwich sff cases.

GucksTV

Airflow Optimizer
Mar 13, 2018
www.youtube.com
hey guys! :) I received the first prototype of the LOBO. Thanks to @Alloy Craft for the oportunity to test this beautiful product. <3
It really is a masterpice of engineering and precision. Just for everybody interested: my unit is still a prototype that will differ slightly from the final product
and was allready in use. Eventhough it looks just stunning and BOY IS THIS THING HEAVY! :D

I've took some pictures during my video shoot that should give some insights and a better view on the product.

Lets start with the assembled LOBO:

Hope you like the pictures and that you will tune in for the videos! :)
Kind regards
Victor from GucksTV

Curiosity

Too busy figuring out if I can to think if I shoul
Platinum Supporter
Bronze Supporter
M...M...M...M...Multi-Tier...Subscriber...
Apr 30, 2016
I'm defibrillator wanting to, thigh I might have to make an allowance in my side panel for the pump to slightly protrude if I do..

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
So I finally got my beta LOBO last week (international shipping over Christmas during Covid is no fun!), and I'm in the middle of testing it currently. Results so far: very promising compared to the OG Aquanaut.

First, a note: I'm testing with a 5800X on a B550 board, and I'm not testing at fixed clocks or voltages. I want to see how this works in my real-world setup, but that means these measurements have added variability from a bunch of factors: auto boost/thermal regulation behaviour in both the CPU and motherboard, variance in background software, etc. This is also run under a completely unoptimized Windows install - my daily one, which includes a bunch of game launchers and other stuff running in the background. Still, my findings (so far) are consistent enough that I don't see this as a problem.

Due to my specific configuration (both HW and settings) I'm running two sets of tests: at a custom power profile for the 5800X (120/95/120) and at stock (142/95/140), and at three different fan/pump settings: 100% fans/45% pump, 65% fans/45% pump and 65% fans/20% pump (fan speeds are ~1600rpm and ~1100rpm; pump speeds ~3400rpm and ~1200rpm). I'm not done testing yet - I've run the stock power profile tests on both, but I'm just getting around to the limited profile testing with the LOBO.

I test using OCCT, 15m test runs, large data set, normal mode, variable load. (I should probably have set it to "steady", but I didn't spot that setting until I had swapped the cooler, so ... it is what it is). Auto thread count and instruction set, which means AVX2.

One thing worth pointing out here: the reason for the limited power profile is that the Aquanaut can't really handle the 5800X at stock, at least not without really cranking the pump speed, which gets noisy. Even then it struggles. This means that at stock, OCCT started throwing errors a bit into testing as the CPU got hot (nearing 80 degrees in various measurements) in anything but the 100% fan speed test. I didn't run the 20% pump speed test at full power with the Aquanaut simply because it was throwing tons of errors after just a few minutes at the 65%/45% setting. Throughout testing with the LOBO, I so far haven't seen a single OCCT error, even at 20% pump speed. That, regardless of absolute temperature changes, is a major difference. (And yes, I did try to eliminate those errors previously, with no luck, so I'm reasonably sure they were caused by thermals.)

I've got HWI64 screenshots for every test, plus data logs from there that I need to find some way of making sense of (any tips on that are much appreciated), ideally I'll be able to post some graphs for comparison. For now, here are HWI screenshots from the 100% and 65% fan speed runs at stock power.

As you can see there are clear thermal improvements with the LOBO, in the 2-5°C range mostly. I was surprised to find that the "CPU Die (Average)" reading is improved nearly as much as the hottest core temperature, which speaks to the effectiveness of the large microfin array in the LOBO and its flow characteristics. Also, you can see that all cores boost 20-25MHz higher in peak effective clocks, with the average change over the run being a bit smaller at ~15MHz. These are obviously tiny and immaterial changes, but they're still consistent throughout the run and indicate better overall thermals for the LOBO.
100%:
65%:

When I'm done testing hopefully I'll be able to give you something a bit more legible than a huge HWI screenshot ;) I'll also include a full hardware config + relevant BIOS settings etc.

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
Well now I'm kind of pissed. Thanks to my region settings, HWi defaults to comma as the decimal separator. It also defaults to comma as the CSV log item separator. Meaning that any application trying to read my benchmark sensor logs gets all confused, garbling the data. Yay. No idea how to fix this yet - there'll definitely be some work involved unless someone feels like helping me whip up some magic script to fix this. Guess I'll have to leave this for another day, sadly.

FiftyFifty

Average Stuffer
May 20, 2021
Well now I'm kind of pissed. Thanks to my region settings, HWi defaults to comma as the decimal separator. It also defaults to comma as the CSV log item separator. Meaning that any application trying to read my benchmark sensor logs gets all confused, garbling the data. Yay. No idea how to fix this yet - there'll definitely be some work involved unless someone feels like helping me whip up some magic script to fix this. Guess I'll have to leave this for another day, sadly.
Can you change the default value to anything other then comma on either one?

EDIT: There should be an option to specify a custom logging (CSV) delimiter.

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
Can you change the default value to anything other then comma on either one?

EDIT: There should be an option to specify a custom logging (CSV) delimiter.
Yes, I can. But that's kind of too late now, a dozen benchmark runs and a water loop reconfiguration later.