Production Modultra LOBO: Direct die kit gauging interest.

What materail and finish would you be interested for your build?

• Stainless steel.

• Brass with nickel plating.

• Raw brass with internal nickel plating.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Questors

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 28, 2018
I missed the poll. I would have voted for the nickel plated brass for the cold plate. Nickel plated for the entire assembly if that is the only choice to make the project viable. But boy oh boy do I love me shiny brass.

I find this very interesting. I have partial Ghost S1 build in the wings waiting patiently. I already have the Swiftech pump. I have been looking at the Nouvolo Aquanaut Extreme and now this. I don't particularly have a preference for solid metal, metal and acrylic, or metal and POM. That is unless I plan to highlight the build or a part of the build. This build is performance minded, so showmanship isn't the main point. I do have a preference for performance. This small system will run the R9 5900X and RX 6900XT. As per my nature, I will OC both as the system allows.

Waiting to see how things go with this great idea versus the other consideration.

Reactions: Fitchew

Alloy Craft

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Modultra
Oct 25, 2019
@JDuval I sent an email to you and the other beta testers, please let me know if you didn't receive it.

Right now the pump housings are getting their Cerakote done. There are 2 colors to choose from, I will post photos when I get them back. Other than that I am waiting on some hardware to arrive and they can ship out. However I do need to know what socket everybody is using so I can send the correct brackets. Also, does anybody know if all AM4 sockets retention standoffs are the same thread size?

Reactions: JDuval

JDuval

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Dec 8, 2020
It had hit my spam folder but I do have the email! I'll respond to it either tonight or tomorrow.

RE the AM4 backplate, I THINK they are all 6-32 but I remember having a hard time confirming that myself a while back. The backplate that came with my Gigabyte B550i definitely is 6-32.

griever

Average Stuffer
Apr 30, 2019
Been lurking on this project for a while. I'm quite interested in the LOBO. I feel like this is an easy buy considering promised performance and total height.

Do you intend on selling this packaged with a pump? What about a matching cerakote metal heatsink top?

eagerly awating more news, my friend.

Reactions: Questors

Alloy Craft

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Modultra
Oct 25, 2019
Been lurking on this project for a while. I'm quite interested in the LOBO. I feel like this is an easy buy considering promised performance and total height.

Do you intend on selling this packaged with a pump? What about a matching cerakote metal heatsink top?

eagerly awating more news, my friend.
@griever

At some point It may come with a pump, but for now, only the pump/cpu block will be available for sale. As you suspected, we will be releasing a heatsink for Laing DDC pumps. Still doing thermal testing on it, but here are some prototype photos.

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
@JDuval I sent an email to you and the other beta testers, please let me know if you didn't receive it.

Right now the pump housings are getting their Cerakote done. There are 2 colors to choose from, I will post photos when I get them back. Other than that I am waiting on some hardware to arrive and they can ship out. However I do need to know what socket everybody is using so I can send the correct brackets. Also, does anybody know if all AM4 sockets retention standoffs are the same thread size?
The AM4 standard is 6-32 threading, so all stock backplates should use that - otherwise they wouldn't be compatible with the stock coolers and cooler mounts after all. I'm on AM4 also. Just to check, you're staying within the AM4 keep-out-zone, right? I.e. we shouldn't expect compatibility issues/component interference on densely packed ITX boards?

Reactions: Questors

Questors

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 28, 2018
@griever

At some point It may come with a pump, but for now, only the pump/cpu block will be available for sale. As you suspected, we will be releasing a heatsink for Laing DDC pumps. Still doing thermal testing on it, but here are some prototype photos.

I appreciate a creative design, if it works.
The AM4 standard is 6-32 threading, so all stock backplates should use that - otherwise they wouldn't be compatible with the stock coolers and cooler mounts after all. I'm on AM4 also. Just to check, you're staying within the AM4 keep-out-zone, right? I.e. we shouldn't expect compatibility issues/component interference on densely packed ITX boards?
This last point interests me as well.

Alloy Craft

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Modultra
Oct 25, 2019
When it comes to compatibility, never say never especially with Intel boards. Motherboard manufactures love to push the limits of the keep out zones. On my Stix Z590 board the LOBO fits 3 of the 4 orientations. There is a heat pipe assembly near the 8 pin that is technically in the keep out zone, and it hits the rear portion of the LOBO. Also I'm using Gskill memory modules that are 9mm thick, and it touches the rear side of the LOBO with its heatsink but does fit. The Barrow block only fits in 2 orientations on this same board so the LOBO fitment is a bit better than it.

On my Am4 socket I didn't see any fitment issues, however if the fittings end is toward the memory it is a little close.

JDuval

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Dec 8, 2020
Can the block be positioned in 4 orientations on AM4? I know the Aquanaut was limited to only two orientations there but had full flexibility on Intel - not sure if you ran into the same limitation.

Nouvolo

Creator
Silver Supporter
Sep 8, 2018
www.nouvolo.com
Can the block be positioned in 4 orientations on AM4? I know the Aquanaut was limited to only two orientations there but had full flexibility on Intel - not sure if you ran into the same limitation.
AM4 mounting holes are 90(L)x54(W)mm, any blocks with length greater than 90 -10 = 80mm(L), will likely not fit along the longer end. DDC is 62x62, in order to achieve there is only 18mm left for port end with no buffer at all, and EK Quantum adapters are 24mm in diameter. I would have done it if it was doable 😉 .

Alloy Craft

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Modultra
Oct 25, 2019
AM4 mounting holes are 90(L)x54(W)mm, any blocks with length greater than 90 -10 = 80mm(L), will likely not fit along the longer end. DDC is 62x62, in order to achieve there is only 18mm left for port end with no buffer at all, and EK Quantum adapters are 24mm in diameter. I would have done it if it was doable 😉 .

As @Nouvolo graciously explained above there is just not enough room on the pump block to clear the Am4 hole pattern with the pump and fittings on the top surface. It may be possible to do it but you would need to use side entry and exit ports like the Aquanaut extreme or the Appogge drive 2. And even then most likely you would need to use custom low profile fittings as the Appogee does.

Torquednb

Cable Smoosher
Nov 16, 2020
following this thread, very interested in this product. Currently rocking the Aquanaut in my setup but was looking for something solid metal as a upgrade

Alloy Craft

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Modultra
Oct 25, 2019
Received four of the parts from the painter yesterday. Half of them have paint defects, so it looks like I need to find another painter. Anyway, here are some photos of the titanium (E-250) and carbon grey (E-240). If anybody wants to look at possible colors for these, go to the following link to see the available hues from Cerakote. We are going to be using their Elite series paints due to its high level of corrosion resistance and durability. Most likely we would only offer 3 or 4 of these colors since they would need be painted in batches.

The mounting hardware I show in the photos is not very user friendly so I am redesigning it today. As soon as this is done I will be shipping a few of the betas.

DrHudacris

King of Cable Management
Jul 20, 2019
Received four of the parts from the painter yesterday. Half of them have paint defects, so it looks like I need to find another painter. Anyway, here are some photos of the titanium (E-250) and carbon grey (E-240). If anybody wants to look at possible colors for these, go to the following link to see the available hues from Cerakote. We are going to be using their Elite series paints due to its high level of corrosion resistance and durability. Most likely we would only offer 3 or 4 of these colors since they would need be painted in batches.

The mounting hardware I show in the photos is not very user friendly so I am redesigning it today. As soon as this is done I will be shipping a few of the betas.

Thoughts on the transfer grey C-187 ? It seems to be the only one in their lineup that is specifically designed for high thermal transfer.

JDuval

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Dec 8, 2020
Looks great! The pump skew looks much more pronounced in these shots - makes for an interesting look actually; I like it.

What difficulty does the mounting hardware cause in its current configuration?

RE colour, I was actually loving the look of the unfinished brass but I understand the issues with corrosion.
As something a little different, I personally really like how Rebel and Jungle look for colour but something like the Carbon Grey you've shown is probably best for most people's builds.

Alloy Craft

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Modultra
Oct 25, 2019
Thoughts on the transfer grey C-187 ? It seems to be the only one in their lineup that is specifically designed for high thermal transfer.

The C-187 is a air cure so it will not be as durable as a oven cure paint. Also the thermal conductivity of the paint is not really important since the cold plate is not painted and the coolant will do the task of conducting the heat out of the cpu.

Looks great! The pump skew looks much more pronounced in these shots - makes for an interesting look actually; I like it.

What difficulty does the mounting hardware cause in its current configuration?

RE colour, I was actually loving the look of the unfinished brass but I understand the issues with corrosion.
As something a little different, I personally really like how Rebel and Jungle look for colour but something like the Carbon Grey you've shown is probably best for most people's builds.

On the mounting hardware, the combination of a flat head screw and a wider spring mean that the washer/cap skews as you tighten it. it usually flattens out when it hits bottom, but there is a possibility that the spring can get caught in the mounting plate through hole. And the washer cap will stay skewed. Not really a functional issue but looks bad. I am changing it to a socked head cap screw to help keep the cap straight.