Production Modultra LOBO: Direct die kit gauging interest.

What materail and finish would you be interested for your build?

• Stainless steel.

• Brass with nickel plating.

• Raw brass with internal nickel plating.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Alloy Craft

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Modultra
Oct 25, 2019
So paint is done on the heatsinks, they came out looking great. Pre order will open tomorrow and run for 3-4 weeks. This is introductory pricing and will never be this low again. After 4 weeks pricing will increase to full retail. I am only offering pump and heatsink combos for the preorders. Manufacturing on these is actually mostly done. All pump bodies, top mount plates, back cover plates, intel back plates and heatsinks are machined, all though the engraving on the tops are not done. The cold plates, back plate mount hardware, spring housing and cold plate adjusters are still yet to be made. I would hope to start shipping by early in May if all goes well. Please use the link below to view all of the availble products.

https://modultra.com/shop

There are 4 options for the heatsink and 2 color options.

Patterns
1. Plain $160 shipped inside the USA. - Retail $200 + shipping
2. Vector $175 shipped inside the USA. -Retail $215 + shipping
3. Wavy $175 shipped inside the USA. -Retail $215 + shipping
4. Celtic $175 shipped inside the USA. -Retail $215 + shipping

Colors
1. E250 titanium
2. E240 Carbon Grey

Plain

Vector

Wavy

Celtic

Last edited:

Qzrx

Buried under radiators
Dec 29, 2019
HI guys, I'm gauging interest in a solid metal low profile DDC pump block with optimized flow paths for intel 115x and AM4 socket. The bare block height would be 22mm, I believe this would be the lowest height DDC pump block available. The block would use a 5mm thick copper cold plate with 3d fin arrangement for pull though functionality. The block uses a 6 degree pump skew to help minimize flow restrictions inside the block. The Block would be made from either brass, or stainless steel.

The brass could be either nickel pated entirely or just nickel plated internally. Leaving a natural brass finish on the outside and nickel plated coolant channels.

Pros for raw brass with nickel plated coolant channels: It looks awesome when polished. Kind of like a gold bar sitting on your CPU!

Cons for raw brass: Brass will tarnish over time; luster can be restored with hand polishing. Also more expensive as machining would be required after plating. Not scratch resistant.

Pros for nickel plated brass: shiny, corrosion and scratch resistant.

Cons for nickel plated brass: kind of looks like everything else, shiny silver. Finish can corrode over time.

Cons for stainless steel: Expensive, machining stainless has a high attrition rate on tooling. Polished stainless is not highly scratch resistant.

Pros for stainless: Little possibility of corrosion ever. Raw stainless can have Shiny or matte finish. A multitude of secondary finishes can be applied. Stone wash, vapor deposition coatings, paint, Cerakote, powder coat, electro plating. Lifetime warranty.
Love the idea and would be interested in a stainless version, but for me it comes down entirely to two factors: cooling performance and pump noise.

Alloy Craft

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Modultra
Oct 25, 2019
How low profile are we talking? With a pump and heatsink on the pump?
Total height would depend on the pump used, but at a minimum add around 21-22 mm on top of the 22mm block, so total would be around 43mm. the only issue with the lower pumps is that at that point the fitting choice will be restricted to low profile right angle fittings. Honestly the block could go abit lower but I don't know if there is an good reason to do this. The lower you go the more restrictive the flow path becomes.

Reactions: Curiosity

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
This looks neat, could be an interesting alternative to the new Aquanaut design. Thermal performance and price would be crucial to me though. Still, subbing to see how this goes :)

Reactions: eedev and Fitchew

Alloy Craft

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Modultra
Oct 25, 2019
This looks neat, could be an interesting alternative to the new Aquanaut design. Thermal performance and price would be crucial to me though. Still, subbing to see how this goes :)
Performance should be very good, I am using a mathematically derived volute so pumping efficiency should be better that most pump housings on the market. Also the flow path through the housing is very short, this should also improve efficiency. As for pricing, machining and nickel plating brass is a bit more expensive than acrylic so I expect price to be a little bit higher than competing acrylic designs.

wywywywy

Airflow Optimizer
Aug 12, 2016
Is that cold plate fully machined? What tool/s did you use to cut the channels?
Looks like it may have been done with a computer controlled saw? That's really interesting. It doesn't look like EDM and I don't think a router bit can make channels that small?

cps_goodbuy

Caliper Novice
Feb 12, 2020
I really like your design, I'm 100% in for getting one wholly brass, wholly copper (would be amazing), or cerakote. I can prepurchase if it helps development.

Alloy Craft

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Modultra
Oct 25, 2019
Preliminary fluid dynamic testing is ongoing, and I will post more later. I am waiting on another rotometer for further testing, but I will tease a little bit of information. When I started the design on this I was hoping at a bare minimum to match the flow rates of the Barrow pump block. Testing so far has shown that this design has more than doubled the flow rate of the Barrow, using the same pump. This is even more impressive since the barrow is push though and we are using a pull through design. In addition our design uses an Oring that forces all flow through the fin array creating a higher pressure drop. Barrow does not use an Oring, meaning it is likely they have flow that is bypassing the fin array and thereby a lower pressure drop.

I really like your design, I'm 100% in for getting one wholly brass, wholly copper (would be amazing), or cerakote. I can prepurchase if it helps development.

Not ready to take deposits at this time. I will be looking for beta testers soon though.

DrHudacris

King of Cable Management
Jul 20, 2019
Preliminary fluid dynamic testing is ongoing, and I will post more later. I am waiting on another rotometer for further testing, but I will tease a little bit of information. When I started the design on this I was hoping at a bare minimum to match the flow rates of the Barrow pump block. Testing so far has shown that this design has more than doubled the flow rate of the Barrow, using the same pump. This is even more impressive since the barrow is push though and we are using a pull through design. In addition our design uses an Oring that forces all flow through the fin array creating a higher pressure drop. Barrow does not use an Oring, meaning it is likely they have flow that is bypassing the fin array and thereby a lower pressure drop.

Not ready to take deposits at this time. I will be looking for beta testers soon though.
Could you elaborate? You are measuring flow rate correct? And it seems like you are making some sort of assumption about o rings and the pressure drop? With the same pump and pump speed, if you have higher flow, it must be from lower pressure drop (less resistance). Maybe someone with a stronger physics background can correct me if I'm wrong here...