Production Modultra LOBO: Direct die kit gauging interest.

What materail and finish would you be interested for your build?

• Stainless steel.

• Brass with nickel plating.

• Raw brass with internal nickel plating.

Results are only viewable after voting.

JDuval

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Dec 8, 2020
My block has arrived! Running my pre-swap benchmark right now and hope to be able to report back today with some thermal data! If not today it'll be later this weekend.

A little teaser pic in the meantime:

This thing is HEAVY. Its awesome lol.

spdfrek

Trash Compacter
Nov 26, 2019
My build is currently a pile of parts on my work bench to make swapping things for testing a bit easier. I’ll be getting pictures and such in the next week or so, hopefully. In the mean time, I did get a chance to run my lobo, after I finished admiring the machine work.
The flow rate is impressive. So much so, that I had trouble getting air out of the system. At full speed I had so much movement in the reservoir it was mixing air back into the system. Once I finished leak testing and booted up, it was a bit easier to get the air out with the flow backed off a bit. At any rate, here’s what I found-

Push/pull noctua a12x25’s on hardware labs gtr 280 radiator. Delidded 10900k, 4.9ghz all core. 3080ti fe with ek block 114% power limit, stock clocks. Swiftech mcp35x pump. Fans were run at full speed, pump around 3000rpm. Aquareo 6 xt is what I used to monitor radiator intake/exhaust temps as well as loop temp while testing on the bench. In previous testing I found an ekwb supremacy evo to be the same temps as the apogee drive II when run using the mcp35x as a stand alone pump. I didn’t retest the supremacy on the 10900k however.

Apogee drive II, 51/63c GPU/cpu, intake 22c, exhaust 31.6c, loop 33.1c

Aquanaut, 50/74c, GPU/cpu, intake 22c, exhaust 31.6c, loop 32.8c

Aquanaut extreme 51/68c, GPU/cpu, intake 22c, exhaust 31.7c, loop 33c

Lobo 51/66c, gpu/cpu, intake 22c, exhaust 31.9, loop 33.4c

The apogee is still cooling the best, but is noticeably louder. And given the lobo flows so well, I could back the pump down and have it silent while still cooling fine. Not that it’s audible over the fans under loud anyways. On my mobo, I was able to mount it up in all 4 orientations with any fitment problems. It touched the ram heatsink, but didn’t put any pressure on it.

JDuval

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Dec 8, 2020
Build is complete and my first bit of testing is done!

My build consists of:
Case: FormD T1
Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus B550i Pro Ax
Socket: AM4
Power Supply: Corsair SF750
CPU: Ryzen 5600x
GPU: EVGA XC3 3080 with an EK block
Radiator: 1 XSPC TX240
Fans: 3 Noctua NF-A12x25s, top two sanded to fit in the T1.
Pump: EK DDC 3.2 with EK heatsink
Tubing: EPDM 16/10

Pictures first:

Some height comparison shots between the LOBO and the Aquanaut Extreme. Unfortunately I only have the one DDC pump so couldn't get a shot where a pump is mounted on both.

My measurements show that the cold plate to top of EK DDC height on the LOBO is 48.5 or 49mm at it's tallest point - the pump skew makes it shorter elsewhere as shown in the pictures. The same measurement on the Aquanaut was about 51mm.

Pump skew makes for an interesting look. I like it!

Onto a couple things I noted through the build process:
1. The port placement on the LOBO is great - it is close enough to the edge that the shortest Koolance swivel fittings we often use in SFF builds overhang in all directions. See the images below to explain what I mean. This means that you are not limited on fitting selection when using the Koolance fitting - this will be a real advantage when used in a situation where total height matters as you won't need to use an extender to use your fitting of choice after the Koolance swivel fitting. I'm excited about this personally for a dual radiator FormD T1 v2.0 build in the future where space between the pump block and the radiator will be very limited.

2. The pump bolts I had were a little too long and bottomed out in the body of the block before being tightened enough to secure the DDC pump to the block. I solved this with some washers, but the creator assured me that the threads for the bolts could be tapped further to solve this problem as well. I would assume this won't be an issue in future versions.

3. Bleeding was more of an ordeal in this build when compared to my previous Aquanaut Extreme build - I am actually still hearing water movement fairly often after a couple hours of bleeding, indicating that there is still some air in the loop. I think the main driver here is that in my Aquanaut build, I connected some tubing to the fill port which was able to act as a reservoir while the system was operating and continuously collect air from the loop.
Because the fill port on the LOBO is g1/8 rather than g1/4, I was unable to do this as I didn't have any g1/8 fittings on hand. I will order some in the future which I think will result in a simpler bleed process.

Now on to thermal data!

I ran a 30 minute Heaven benchmark on my old build with the Aquanaut Extreme and on my new build with the LOBO to compare thermals.
The builds were essentially identical - there is only one fitting that ended up being different in the entire loop.
I unfortunately goofed and did not reset the HWinfo stats to pull average data from the last 5 mins of the Aquanaut Extreme test so we'll have to compare to a run that I did a few weeks back when testing that unit instead - unfortunately I did not record ambient temp at that time but it would have been very similar to the ambient temp recorded today (21.8 C)

Aquanaut ExtremeLOBODelta
CPU Temp69.5 C71.6 C+ 2.1 C
GPU Temp60.9 C60.1 C- 0.8 C
Water Temp48.6 C49.5 C+ 0.9 C
Fan Speed1305 RPM1305 RPM0 RPM
Pump Speed1840 RPM1862 RPM+ 22 RPM

When considering possible differences in ambient temp, the results are very similar between both builds. Functionally, there's no difference here in my opinion.
One other consideration is that I know there is still some air trapped in the loop - this could be the driver for some differences as well.
I will perform additional testing once I've spent some more time bleeding.

Overall, I'm very impressed with this block - it packs in similar performance to the best blocks of this nature on the market, and manages to do it in a package that is the shortest option available. Unlimited fitting choice when using the low profile Koolance fitting is a huge win in my opinion as well.
Build quality is great, the thing feels like a weapon lol.

I intend to use it going forward in my builds, and I'll be sure to post more photos and info as I do so. Hope I get to put it to the test in dual radiator T1 2.0 soon ;)

Happy to answer any questions and thanks again to @Alloy Craft for having me in the beta program!

thelaughingman

SFF Guru
Jul 14, 2018

My build consists of:

Pictures first:

Some height comparison shots between the LOBO and the Aquanaut Extreme. Unfortunately I only have the one DDC pump so couldn't get a shot where a pump is mounted on both.

My measurements show that the cold plate to top of EK DDC height on the LOBO is 48.5 or 49mm at it's tallest point - the pump skew makes it shorter elsewhere as shown in the pictures. The same measurement on the Aquanaut was about 51mm.

1. The port placement on the LOBO is great - it is close enough to the edge that the shortest Koolance swivel fittings we often use in SFF builds overhang in all directions. See the images below to explain what I mean. This means that you are not limited on fitting selection when using the Koolance fitting - this will be a real advantage when used in a situation where total height matters as you won't need to use an extender to use your fitting of choice after the Koolance swivel fitting. I'm excited about this personally for a dual radiator FormD T1 v2.0 build in the future where space between the pump block and the radiator will be very limited.

2. The pump bolts I had were a little too long and bottomed out in the body of the block before being tightened enough to secure the DDC pump to the block. I solved this with some washers, but the creator assured me that the threads for the bolts could be tapped further to solve this problem as well. I would assume this won't be an issue in future versions.

3. Bleeding was more of an ordeal in this build when compared to my previous Aquanaut Extreme build - I am actually still hearing water movement fairly often after a couple hours of bleeding, indicating that there is still some air in the loop. I think the main driver here is that in my Aquanaut build, I connected some tubing to the fill port which was able to act as a reservoir while the system was operating and continuously collect air from the loop.
Because the fill port on the LOBO is g1/8 rather than g1/4, I was unable to do this as I didn't have any g1/8 fittings on hand. I will order some in the future which I think will result in a simpler bleed process.

Now on to thermal data!

I ran a 30 minute Heaven benchmark on my old build with the Aquanaut Extreme and on my new build with the LOBO to compare thermals.
The builds were essentially identical - there is only one fitting that ended up being different in the entire loop.
I unfortunately goofed and did not reset the HWinfo stats to pull average data from the last 5 mins of the Aquanaut Extreme test so we'll have to compare to a run that I did a few weeks back when testing that unit instead - unfortunately I did not record ambient temp at that time but it would have been very similar to the ambient temp recorded today (21.8 C)

When considering possible differences in ambient temp, the results are very similar between both builds. Functionally, there's no difference here in my opinion.
One other consideration is that I know there is still some air trapped in the loop - this could be the driver for some differences as well.

Overall, I'm very impressed with this block - it packs in similar performance to the best blocks of this nature on the market, and manages to do it in a package that is the shortest option available. Unlimited fitting choice when using the low profile Koolance fitting is a huge win in my opinion as well.

I intend to use it going forward in my builds, and I'll be sure to post more photos and info as I do so. Hope I get to put it to the test in dual radiator T1 2.0 soon ;)

Happy to answer any questions and thanks again to @Alloy Craft for having me in the beta program!
Man those pictures look AMAZING! congrats @Alloy Craft on a winner!

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018

My build consists of:

Pictures first:

Now on to thermal data!

Thanks for posting, that is really informative. Looks great, and performance looks decent too. Your liquid is hot, wow - I thought my loop ran hot when I was seeing low-to-mid 40s in stress testing :p Makes me glad I upgraded to a 280mm rad in the Meshlicious!

Reactions: JDuval

JDuval

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Dec 8, 2020
Thanks for posting, that is really informative. Looks great, and performance looks decent too. Your liquid is hot, wow - I thought my loop ran hot when I was seeing low-to-mid 40s in stress testing :p Makes me glad I upgraded to a 280mm rad in the Meshlicious!
Lol it is indeed quite warm.
I could get it down with more fan speed but I know it's still safe at these temps and is still relatively quiet.

Reactions: Valantar

Alloy Craft

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Modultra
Oct 25, 2019
The beta looks to be going well. Thanks to @JDuval and @spdfrek for getting your thermals up so quick. The carbon grey does look quite good in Jduval's T1.

So far the beta results are encouraging. Thermal performance is very close to the Aquanaut, and the flow rate is great. As I said earlier I think the LOBO would do very well in a multi radiator high restriction loop. I think the cold plate could do a little better and I will be tweaking the design a bit to that end, nothing major but will update when done. Also I am thinking about reducing the LOBO height by an additional 1 mm.

Next I want to talk about an interesting phenomenon I noticed in the beta and in thermal testing I have done here. Last week I performed some testing where temperature measurements were taken on the Laing DDC 3.1 PCB and coils during operation while attached to the LOBO and a Swiftech acrylic pump top. All tests were at full pump speed. and run for minimum of 1 hour, results are shown below.

Laing DDC 3.1 with stock housing on Swiftech acrylic pump top. Flow rate was 2.5 GPM: Max PCB temp = 93.6 C Max Coil = 99.1 C

Laing DDC 3.1 with Modultra aluminum heatsink on Swiftech acrylic pump top. Flow rate was 2.5 GPM: Max PCB temp = 76.8C Max Coil=89.7C

Laing DDC 3.1 with stock housing on the LOBO pump block. Flow rate was 1.9 GPM: Max PCB temp = 89.4C Max Coil = 70.8C

Laing DDC 3.1 with Modultra aluminum heatsink on the LOBO pump block. Flow rate was 1.9 GPM: Max PCB temp = 41.8C Max Coil=56.4C

What the data is telling us is that the Modultra heatsink reduced the pump PCB temp by 17C on the acrylic pump top and by 47.6 C when attached to the LOBO. If we look at the coil temps it becomes clear that LOBO is conducting pump heat load into the loop water. This makes perfect sense since the lobo is solid brass. And brass is around 70% copper and has a decent thermal conductivity. There are 2 conduction paths, one is through the pump base, the other is through the heatsink base where it touches the pump block. This is why the LOBO shows the highest water temperature in the beta tests. I estimate heat addition to the loop at around 10 watts at full pump speed. This also means that the LOBO is operating at a disadvantage during comparisons.

Why this matters:

Typically DDC pumps have a reputation for short life and early failure, and rightfully so. Testing shows that DDC's run hot on low to medium restriction loops. Our test pump coil nearly hit 100C during testing on the acrylic top, and I think overheating is the main reason for DDC failure in general. There is a common conception that D5 pumps are more reliable and I think this is due to its ability to dump its heat into the loop and thereby operate at a lower temperature.

Some people may view this as a benefit, some a penalty. It all depends on what your doing. Most likely you would be running your pump at 1/2 speed anyway, so heat addition to the loop would be less than 6 watts. For me I think that's a small price to pay for significantly lower pump temp and higher reliability. Just think of it as a DDC with D5 reliability. If water temps are critical to you I think you would want to run a pump with no heatsink on the LOBO and use the pwm to turn it down. Either way I am eager to hear your thoughts.

Quick note on colors:
I know everybody has a favorite color and I want to give people the option to get it. The easiest way to do this would be to offer an unpainted LOBO as an option. That way you could have a Cerakote shop of your choosing paint any of the E or H series finishes you wanted.

duynguyenle

Airflow Optimizer
Aug 20, 2019
I think it's fairly common knowledge (probably all the way back to the MartinsLiquidLab days) that the DDC pumps run hot, and it's pretty much a requirement to fit a heatsink to the pump electronics if you do plan on using a DDC long-term.

The D5 does indeed gets its reliability reputation from being able to shed its power electronics' waste heat directly into the steel body which itself is in contact with the coolant. I think with the proliferation of AIOs and more 'casual' approach to building custom loops, a lot of the more esoteric knowledge to custom loops have been lost to time. There's a good reason custom heatsinks are a very popular aftermarket accessory for DDC pumps.

Here's an article from MLL all the way back in 2011 about DDC pump heat https://martinsliquidlab.wordpress.com/2011/05/30/ddc3-2-pump-heat-scoping/

And here's one reviewing one of the popular DDC heatsink options back in the day: https://martinsliquidlab.wordpress.com/2011/06/06/swiftech-mcp35x-hs-ddc-heatsink/

If you look at the DDC offerings from most of the popular watercooling OEMs (EK, Swiftech, XSPC etc...), you will see that most of them (except for the very basic models) usually comes with either aluminium body with fins cut into the housing or some sort of add-on heatsinks, all in the name of keeping temperature in check.

robbee

King of Cable Management
n3rdware
Bronze Supporter
Sep 24, 2016
Some people may view this as a benefit, some a penalty. It all depends on what your doing.

I would consider this a USP of your product. I don't think a lot of people would purposely run their pump at 90C when there is your option of keeping it ultra low profile while also providing great cooling.

Shaving off another mm is also a good idea IMO as it gets you at the 47-48mm height range (with pump heatsink) that quite some cases are targetting.

Very impressed by the progress you're making, keep it up!

JDuval

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Dec 8, 2020
I would consider this a USP of your product. I don't think a lot of people would purposely run their pump at 90C when there is your option of keeping it ultra low profile while also providing great cooling.

Shaving off another mm is also a good idea IMO as it gets you at the 47-48mm height range (with pump heatsink) that quite some cases are targetting.

Very impressed by the progress you're making, keep it up!
Agreed on both fronts.
Every mm counts!

martinle

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Oct 16, 2021
Loving the progress and the look of this block. I've just ordered a 20mm taobao block that has mixed reviews. Would love to do a comparison between this block and the taobao block at some point. Keep up the great work.

WinterCharm

Master of Cramming
Jan 19, 2019
HI guys, I'm gauging interest in a solid metal low profile DDC pump block with optimized flow paths for intel 115x and AM4 socket. The bare block height would be 22mm, I believe this would be the lowest height DDC pump block available. The block would use a 5mm thick copper cold plate with 3d fin arrangement for pull though functionality. The block uses a 6 degree pump skew to help minimize flow restrictions inside the block. The Block would be made from either brass, or stainless steel.

The brass could be either nickel pated entirely or just nickel plated internally. Leaving a natural brass finish on the outside and nickel plated coolant channels.

Pros for raw brass with nickel plated coolant channels: It looks awesome when polished. Kind of like a gold bar sitting on your CPU!

Cons for raw brass: Brass will tarnish over time; luster can be restored with hand polishing. Also more expensive as machining would be required after plating. Not scratch resistant.

Pros for nickel plated brass: shiny, corrosion and scratch resistant.

Cons for nickel plated brass: kind of looks like everything else, shiny silver. Finish can corrode over time.

Cons for stainless steel: Expensive, machining stainless has a high attrition rate on tooling. Polished stainless is not highly scratch resistant.

Pros for stainless: Little possibility of corrosion ever. Raw stainless can have Shiny or matte finish. A multitude of secondary finishes can be applied. Stone wash, vapor deposition coatings, paint, Cerakote, powder coat, electro plating. Lifetime warranty.
I love seeing a well engineered concept, and really like that you're doing proper testing of the block. Awesome work. I'm interested for sure :)

Alloy Craft

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Modultra
Oct 25, 2019
Looks great, when will it be available to purchase? Or participate in the beta?
Beta is ongoing, I have 1 black beta unit available if you are interested. Still waiting to get them back from paint though.

Most likely a production run of these in brass will be late next month. I will be doing a acetal version for production early next month as well. I will post more tomorrow. but I will say pricing on the acetal will be $99. And Cerakoted, brass is looking to be around $160. Brass would most likely be available to market early next year as the paint and material takes awhile to materialize.

Heatsinks will also be available, pricing is still incoming, but I expect them to be around $45 mark for Cerakoted, and will include hardware and thermal pad.

LucyMorn

Trash Compacter
Nov 2, 2021
Beta is ongoing, I have 1 black beta unit available if you are interested. Still waiting to get them back from paint though.

Most likely a production run of these in brass will be late next month. I will be doing a acetal version for production early next month as well. I will post more tomorrow. but I will say pricing on the acetal will be $99. And Cerakoted, brass is looking to be around $160. Brass would most likely be available to market early next year as the paint and material takes awhile to materialize.

Heatsinks will also be available, pricing is still incoming, but I expect them to be around $45 mark for Cerakoted, and will include hardware and thermal pad.
Would love to, lets continue over DM?

JDuval

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Dec 8, 2020

Pricing sounds pretty reasonable!

This heatsink talk has me very interested, excited to hear and see more on that.

Alloy Craft

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Modultra
Oct 25, 2019
Update, part features and product specifics.

Versions:

There are going to be 2 versions of the lobo.

The first is the budget version made from black acetal @ $99.00 each. the budget LOBO uses non painted stainless back plate and powder coated non chamfered mounting plate. other than that it is identical to the LOBO premium. Acetal version as discussed earlier will not conduct pump heat load into the loop. Because of this a taller fin style heatsink would be advised. Modultra will be releasing a heatsink specifically designed for convection that will be a good mate for the acetal version. Total height with heatsink estimate around 49mm. This version of the heatsink is going to be called the Emitter. Production run is slated for Middle of next month.

The second is the full brass version or LOBO premium, with Cerakote @ around $160 each. Pricing right now is a little unstable due to inflation and material shortages, but I think these prices are very close to where they will be upon release. Colors available will be Cerakote E240 (carbon grey) and E250 (titanium). I may consider doing a run of the premiums with no paint. Customer would be responsible for finding Cerakoter to paint. If this option interests you please speak up. If there is little interest, I wont offer this option. Brass version will conduct pump heat load into loop. Because of this a smaller heatsink can be used @ a height of 44.5 mm. This version of the heatsink will be called the conductor. During testing we saw over 40 C temp reduction in the laing pcb using this configuration.

Changes from Beta:

Product height: Height of both versions has shrunk by 1.5mm, for a total height of 20.7mm from cold plate bottom to housing top.

Fin array: Fin count on the cold plate has increased by 8 fins for an area addition of 1.7 in^2.

Cold plate: Premium version will come with a adjustable cold plate. Cold plate bow can be adjusted by two set screws in pump housing. This can be advantageous if your IHS has some concavity or convexity. Ideally the cold plate will come slightly concave and then flattened with the adjuster set screws. Because of the nature of the fin array it will be possible to get one axis almost completely flat while the other will have a slight convexity. I would like to include this feature on the budget version but testing is ongoing. I don't know if the acetal will be able to withstand the screw forces in the long term with out the threads failing.

POM version