Production Modultra LOBO: Direct die kit gauging interest.

What materail and finish would you be interested for your build?

• Stainless steel.

• Brass with nickel plating.

• Raw brass with internal nickel plating.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Torquednb

Cable Smoosher
Nov 16, 2020
That E-240 looks sexy AF, especially in a blacked out system.

Do you think the fittings are going to clear the RAM with the "LOBO"

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
Thoughts on the transfer grey C-187 ? It seems to be the only one in their lineup that is specifically designed for high thermal transfer.
Is that necessary when it's not on the cold plate though? The thermal contact between the cold plate and pump housing is minimal after all (a thin band of metal around the edge, with an o-ring potentially keeping them spaced apart). The only benefit of this would be to more effectively transfer heat from the fluid to the block, which ... well, I don't think has much benefit - given the lack of surface area that block will be about the same temperature as the water pretty quickly regardless, and it won't be helping much in terms of dissipation.

I would agree with @JDuval on some fun colors being a bonus, but I don't see any in the Elite range that I'm particularly fond of. A deep teal or dark purple or something would be right up my alley though (like H-217, H349). Still, in lieu of that, any middle gray would my choice, and the E-250 (or E-160 Concrete) look very good. The amount of American flag-painted assault rifles (or otherwise nationalist-blinged out guns) on the cerakote site did kind of put me off, but I guess that's neither here nor there.

Reactions: JDuval

JDuval

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Dec 8, 2020
I'll change my votes to a dark purple or deep teal lol. I only looked at the first page that the link dumped onto but those other options sound nice.

Reactions: DrHudacris

griever

Average Stuffer
Apr 30, 2019
Received four of the parts from the painter yesterday. Half of them have paint defects, so it looks like I need to find another painter. Anyway, here are some photos of the titanium (E-250) and carbon grey (E-240). If anybody wants to look at possible colors for these, go to the following link to see the available hues from Cerakote. We are going to be using their Elite series paints due to its high level of corrosion resistance and durability. Most likely we would only offer 3 or 4 of these colors since they would need be painted in batches.

The mounting hardware I show in the photos is not very user friendly so I am redesigning it today. As soon as this is done I will be shipping a few of the betas.

These look so good. They def stand out in a way that's unique but still understated. They just enhance the look of the matte black feature of the board.

Questors

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 28, 2018
The amount of American flag-painted assault rifles (or otherwise nationalist-blinged out guns) on the cerakote site did kind of put me off, but I guess that's neither here nor there.
Which has no bearing on the topic of cerakoting this CPU water block.

Since you brought it up, I would enjoy an Armalite Rifle (not assault rifle) shaped/themed CPU or GPU water block with old Red, White and Blue. GPU block might work better, more with which to work.

An idea for those who know how?

Questors

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 28, 2018
... hence why I pointed that out myself?
I didn't see the relevancy of mentioning cerakote colors/schemes being displayed in a way that, "put you off." The point is simply to view the colors and schemes available and how the end product can look.

It's off topic for either of us to discuss further. No offense was intended in any part.

Looking forward the realization of this project and seeing performance results.

Alloy Craft

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Modultra
Oct 25, 2019
Did some thermal testing today with the LOBO and Barrow pump block on my setup. Testing was done on the bench no chassis. And yes that is a Starbucks Frappuccino reservoir.

The LOBO out performed the Barrow by around 9-10 Degrees on both tests. This is no surprise since the flow rate of the barrow was much lower due to its restrictive design. Test show that the LOBO had better performance at a lower flow rate than the Barrow. This means that not only is the pumping efficiency better, the cold plate design is more efficient as well. So I think this test shows the capability of the LOBO in a low restriction loop. However I think the LOBO may shine better in a higher restriction loop due to the pumping efficiency.

Test Rig

Test : Cinbench R23 Multi core. Each test was two consecutive 30 minute runs, data is from the last 5 minutes of second run.

Cpu: Intel I9 11900K

Thermal paste: Halnziye.

Motherboard: Asus Rog Stix X590-I LGA 1200

Memory: G.Skill Trident 16gb DDR4 4600

HDD: Samsung 980 m.2 2280 1tb

Radiator: Alphacool ST30 V2 240 X 120mm

Tubing: 1.5 meters of 10mm soft tube

Radiator fans: 2x Noctua NF-A12X25 PWM 2000 rpm

Cpu block: Test1 and 2 = LOBO with Laing DDC 3.1

Test 3 and 4= Barrow LTPRP-04 with Laing DDC 3.1

Test 1 Modultra LOBO cpu block with Laing DDC 3.1 pump. 100% fan and pump speed

Radiator fan speed2080rpm
Pump speed4400rpm
Average cpu load187 wattswatts
Average coolant flow1.9Gpm
7.19​
Liter/min
Average CPU temp60C

Test 2 Modultra LOBO cpu block with Laing DDC 3.1 pump. 60% pump and fan speed.

Radiator fan speed1140rpm
Pump speed2420rpm
Average cpu load191watts
Average coolant flow1.05Gpm
3.97​
Liter/min
Average CPU temp66C

Test 3 Barrow LTPRP-04 cpu block with Laing DDC 3.1 pump. 100% fan and pump speed

Radiator fan speed2070rpm
Pump speed4455rpm
Average cpu load191watts
Average coolant flow1.25Gpm
4.73​
Liter/min
Average CPU temp70C

Test 4 Barrow LTPRP-04 cpu block with Laing DDC 3.1 pump. 60% pump and fan speed.

Radiator fan speed1150rpm
Pump speed2532-4313rpm
Average cpu load194watts
Average coolant flow.65-1.25GpmPump pulsing due to thermal failsafe.
Average CPU temp75+C
System crash @ 22 minutes.

Last edited:

DrHudacris

King of Cable Management
Jul 20, 2019
Did some thermal testing today with the LOBO and Barrow pump block on my setup. Testing was done on the bench no chassis. And yes that is a Starbucks Frappuccino reservoir.

The LOBO out performed the Barrow by around 9-10 Degrees on both tests. This is no surprise since the flow rate of the barrow was much lower due to its restrictive design. Test show that the LOBO had better performance at a lower flow rate than the Barrow. This means that not only is the pumping efficiency better, the cold plate design is more efficient as well. So I think this test shows the capability of the LOBO in a low restriction loop. However I think the LOBO may shine better in a higher restriction loop due to the pumping efficiency.

Test Rig

Test : Cinbench R23 Multi core. Each test was two consecutive 30 minute runs, data is from the last 5 minutes of second run.

Cpu: Intel I9 11900K

Thermal paste: Halnziye.

Motherboard: Asus Rog Stix X590-I LGA 1200

Memory: G.Skill Trident 16gb DDR4 4600

HDD: Samsung 980 m.2 2280 1tb

Radiator: Alphacool ST30 V2 240 X 120mm

Tubing: 1.5 meters of 10mm soft tube

Radiator fans: 2x Noctua NF-A12X25 PWM 2000 rpm

Cpu block: Test1 and 2 = LOBO with Laing DDC 3.1

Test 3 and 4= Barrow LTPRP-04 with Laing DDC 3.1

Test 1 Modultra LOBO cpu block with Laing DDC 3.1 pump. 100% fan and pump speed

Radiator fan speed2080rpm
Pump speed4400rpm
Average cpu load187 wattswatts
Average coolant flow1.9Gpm
7.19​
Liter/min
Average CPU temp60C

Test 2 Modultra LOBO cpu block with Laing DDC 3.1 pump. 60% pump and fan speed.

Radiator fan speed1140rpm
Pump speed2420rpm
Average cpu load191watts
Average coolant flow1.05Gpm
3.97​
Liter/min
Average CPU temp66C

Test 3 Barrow LTPRP-04 cpu block with Laing DDC 3.1 pump. 100% fan and pump speed

Radiator fan speed2070rpm
Pump speed4455rpm
Average cpu load191watts
Average coolant flow1.25Gpm
4.73​
Liter/min
Average CPU temp70C

Test 4 Barrow LTPRP-04 cpu block with Laing DDC 3.1 pump. 60% pump and fan speed.

Radiator fan speed1150rpm
Pump speed2532-4313rpm
Average cpu load194watts
Average coolant flow.65-1.25GpmPump pulsing due to thermal failsafe.
Average CPU temp75+C
System crash @ 22 minutes.

Not gonna lie, I immediately scrolled past everything to see the Starbucks reservoir

JDuval

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Dec 8, 2020
Can you send that res along with the beta unit??

Jokes aside, results are speaking for themselves! Looking great.

Pyotr

Caliper Novice
Oct 2, 2020
after *extreme* disappointment with the other low profile combo block, I'm super interested in this to come to market. looks way better designed, and thought out. Super interested to pick one up when its available to replace my taobao combo block.

Questors

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 28, 2018
after *extreme* disappointment with the other low profile combo block, I'm super interested in this to come to market. looks way better designed, and thought out. Super interested to pick one up when its available to replace my taobao combo block.
Which low profile block would that be? There are several on the market. If you have had a poor experience, I hope you shared that with the maker and it could help to share it here on SFFF. I personally don't want to buy a poor product out of ignorance. A lot of specialty products don't have reviews or user write-ups.

Heli456

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Mar 24, 2021
Which low profile block would that be? There are several on the market. If you have had a poor experience, I hope you shared that with the maker and it could help to share it here on SFFF. I personally don't want to buy a poor product out of ignorance. A lot of specialty products don't have reviews or user write-ups.
I've heard poor reviews of the nouvolo aquanaut, perhaps that's the shade being thrown. I have yet to hear anything about the aquanaut pro, hopefully it's better reviewed

DrHudacris

King of Cable Management
Jul 20, 2019
I've heard poor reviews of the nouvolo aquanaut, perhaps that's the shade being thrown. I have yet to hear anything about the aquanaut pro, hopefully it's better reviewed
Reference is to a taobao combo block not the aquanaut. I hear the new aquanaut is better however.

Reactions: JDuval

spdfrek

Trash Compacter
Nov 26, 2019
I have the aquanaut and aquanaut extreme. I did some testing with them on my work bench back to back, along with my apogee drive II. Those results are posted over on the aquanaut thread. Whenever I get my hands on a lobo, I’ll run the same tests again, so there will be some data to compare.

Questors

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 28, 2018
Reference is to a taobao combo block not the aquanaut. I hear the new aquanaut is better however.
I hope so. I just bought an Aquanaut Extreme after seeing some good press.
I have the aquanaut and aquanaut extreme. I did some testing with them on my work bench back to back, along with my apogee drive II. Those results are posted over on the aquanaut thread. Whenever I get my hands on a lobo, I’ll run the same tests again, so there will be some data to compare.
I searched for information about the AQ Extreme here at SFFF and found the thread. I read through it. Unless I was sleep reading, I didn't notice any indication of a poor product, so I bought it.

Thank you two. I will move on so to not derail this topic.