Memory SODIMM to Desktop DDR4 Adapter: Compatible/Stable with AM4 Raven Ridge?

Hifihedgehog

Editor-in-chief of SFFPC.review
Original poster
May 3, 2016
www.sffpc.review
A family member is upgrading from a NUC and they would like to save money–especially with today's outrageously high RAM prices–by using two DDR4 SODIMM to DIMM adapters for their 2x16GB DDR4 2133 MHz HyperX SODIMM memory. The big question is Ryzen Raven Ridge's memory controller un-finicky enough to handle using one of these things? Technically, it is only for burn-in and testing, but someone got this adapter to work for regular everyday use by flipping the jumper (also described on the product page).

See the customer review here:
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=1B4-018E-00001

Product page:
http://www.mfactors.com/jet-5608ak-ddr4-sodimm-to-dimm-adapter-with-metal-guide/

Last edited:
Reactions: Soul_Est

Hifihedgehog

Original poster
May 3, 2016
www.sffpc.review
Update: The family member has gone ahead and purchased two of these adapters. I will be posting our results of testing them in dual-channel mode on my Ryzen 7 1700 ITX system. If it works out okay after some memory tests, we will go ahead and use his current SODIMM DDR4 in his pending Raven Ridge APU HTPC build. EDIT: We just got the motherboard and processor for him at Micro Center since we’ll be needing it, anyway. So we’ll be testing with that instead. EDIT 2: The dual-channel 16 GB 3200 MHz memory kit won after the fact. As such, we have cancelled the order of the SODIMM adapters, and will be using regular desktop DDR4 memory after all.

Last edited:
Reactions: Soul_Est

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
I used the DDR3 variants of these on an AMD Phenom based system and had no issues. (as in the system was stable under gaming loads for over a year of regular use). In saying that, the clock speeds of the memory was lower so your results may vary.

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
Whoa, these look pretty funky. What do you think the total height of the modules would be with the adapters attached? I'm guessing they'd be around Dominator Platinum height?

Hifihedgehog

Original poster
May 3, 2016
www.sffpc.review
I asked that very question recently, and I just got an answer back, straight from the manufacturer, here. The total height is 52.2 mm, or, put into perspective, just enough to limbo underneath a Streacom F7C Alpha's specified 55-mm CPU cooler clearance.

Last edited:
Reactions: jtd871