Smallest Ryzen build (Logic Supply MC600)

BlackKnight

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Jul 30, 2017
This is my second PC build:

My first build was last year:

So, I had to first choose a case. The S4 mini was too expensive / wouldn't get it in my hands anytime soon, so that was out. Then I came across Catz C1, but apparently the owner has disappeared. I was left with Logic Supply MC600, which is interestingly the first really small SFF case that I came across few years ago. You've been chosen MC600!

Then after tons of research over the past few weeks on this forum and elsewhere, I have come up with the following PCPartPicker list:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor (Purchased For $135.00)
CPU Cooler: Noctua - NH-L9a 33.8 CFM CPU Cooler (Purchased For $38.21)
Motherboard: ASRock - AB350 Gaming-ITX/ac Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard (Purchased For $105.55)
Memory: G.Skill - Flare X 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory (Purchased For $117.00)
Video Card: Zotac - GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB Mini Video Card (Purchased For $235.00)
Mouse: Logitech - G602 Wireless Optical Mouse (Purchased For $25.00)
Other: SUPERNIGHT (TM) 16.4FT 5M SMD 5050 Waterproof 300LEDs RGB Color Changing Flexible LED Strip Light (Purchased For $11.00)
Other: Steam Controller (Purchased For $35.00)
Other: Avantree Super Comfortable Bluetooth Over Ear Headphones with Mic, Wireless and Wired Dual Mode, aptX Hi-fi Sound, 40h Music Time Lightweight - Audition (Purchased For $48.00)
Other: DREVO Calibur 71-Key RGB LED Backlit Wireless Bluetooth 4.0 Mechanical Keyboard Blue Switch Black (Purchased For $61.00)
Other: Red Lemon Professional 1 Pcs Waterproof Mouse Pad 780*300*3mm Locking Edge Mouse pad for Game Playe(Red)) (Purchased For $8.00)
Other: Bluetooth 4.0 Adapter, Low Energy Micro Dongle Receiver Transfer Paring Bluetooth Headset/Speaker,Linux, Windows XP/VISTA/7/8/8.1/10,Mouse and Keyboard (Purchased For $6.00)
Other: Dell AC Adapter - 240-Watt with 6 ft Power Cord Dell Part # 331-9053 (Purchased For $88.00)
Other: Logic Supply MC600 (Purchased For $117.00)
Other: HDPLEX 160W DC-ATX (nanoATX Series) (Purchased For $55.00)
Other: SanDisk 512GB X300s Single Sided MLC 80mm (2280) SATA III (6G) M.2 NGFF OEM SSD - SD7SN3Q-512G-1002 (Purchased For $130.00)
Other: Custom acrylic top panel from Ponoko (Purchased For $37.00)
Other: PCIE PCI-Express16x Extension Adapter Riser Cable,GEN.3,300mm B.type (Purchased For $48.00)
Total: $1299.76
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-09-01 14:26 EDT-0400

As you can see, all the purchases are done, but I am waiting for some parts to arrive by tomorrow and then I can start my build. The biggest pain is the Noctua AM4 mounting kit which would take forever to arrive, so I will be installing the Wraith Spire temporarily. I have no idea why Noctua doesn't include it in the product. I made sure to let them know that if I had any other choice, I wouldn't have got the Noctua cooler solely because of this reason, but unfortunately this is the only cooler that would fit in my case. Stay tuned!

Last edited:

loader963

King of Cable Management
Jan 21, 2017
Looks like a tight build. Dumb q but isn't the wraith spire a pretty good cooler?

Edit: never mind totally over read the not fitting part.

BlackKnight

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Jul 30, 2017
So I set everything up and tested. I had 2 problems:

1. The 330W used Dell adapter I bought on eBay isn't working at all. So I've plugged in my ATX PSU for now. I've ordered a 230W HP adapter on Amazon now. I think that should be enough juice.

2. The PCIE riser I got was a bit short, so I've reordered the correct one. It works for now though, it's just taut and GPU is kinda misplaced from where I want it to be.

loader963 Yea, you can see here how tall the Wraith is :)

W1NN1NG

King of Cable Management
Jan 19, 2017
So I set everything up and tested. I had 2 problems:

1. The 330W used Dell adapter I bought on eBay isn't working at all. So I've plugged in my ATX PSU for now. I've ordered a 230W HP adapter on Amazon now. I think that should be enough juice.

2. The PCIE riser I got was a bit short, so I've reordered the correct one. It works for now though, it's just taut and GPU is kinda misplaced from where I want it to be.

loader963 Yea, you can see here how tall the Wraith is :)
take some measurements, take a circular saw to the roof of the chassis, and let that wrath hang out
itll be dope I promise

Reactions: AleksandarK

BlackKnight

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Jul 30, 2017
Testing Deep Cool RGB 350. It's a pain fitting everything in there, so I have ordered standard LED strip now to plug it into the mobo RGB header. Let's see how that works out.

W1NN1NG

King of Cable Management
Jan 19, 2017
Haha I'm sure, but it would be a pain to carry around.
You could always have someone here on the forums 3d print you something to go over the top of the fan(grill of some sort) that bolts down onto the lid making the lid 3d of sorts kinda similar to what Josh has done for people with taller ram on his lids but sort of put a cover over it. And you could smooth out and paint the object to match your case. I mean look up metallicacids inwin Chopin build he did something similar except no cover and with a much larger cooler. Lol

BlackKnight

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Jul 30, 2017
I have updated my PCPartPicker list in the OP as per the following.
  1. Power Supply: The 330W Dell power brick I got from ebay was DOA. I then got a HP 230W and it didn't provide enough juice to power on my system sometimes. Finally a 240W Dell power brick that @jhayjasa recommended was what worked.

2. Bluetooth: The included bluetooth sucked! My bluetooth keyboard and headset couldn't work together without being choppy (sometimes even one of them wouldn't work). I also had driver issues and the device doesn't even work anymore... So I plugged in a USB bluetooth dongle, and everything is perfect!

3. PCIE riser: I had originally got the 250mm D type riser from liheat48 but that was a bit too short, making the GPU lift up slightly on one side, as you can see in previous photos. So I got a 300mm B type from them which suits my needs perfectly.

4. GPU mounting: I wanted to mount the GPU upwards firmly but didn't want to make holes in the case. I made an acrylic backplate for the GTX 1060, mounted it on the PCB using 3M 4011 double-sided tape and then mounted the whole unit on the case using some 3M Dual Lock ;)

5. RGB lighting: I had initially got Deep Cool RGB 350 thinking I could connect the 2 strips to the motherboard, but there was no way to do that. In the previous photo I have shown it installed, but it was too cramped with the RF receiver, etc. Plus it is powered through molex which is not supported by HDPlex 160W. So I got a cheap 5050 RGB LED 5 ft. roll from Amazon, cut it to required length, mounted it to the case using some double-sided tape and plugged it into the motherboard. It worked out well.
Here is what it looks like now after all the above and some cable management:

I got my custom acrylic top panel from ponoko.com. All I am waiting for is the stupid Noctua mounting kit. Their support responded to half of my suggestion, so I am not going to bother trying to give them suggestions anymore.

Last edited:

BlackKnight

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Jul 30, 2017
13 days and I still haven't received the Noctua mounting kit... My internship at AMD ends this Friday and I have to drive back to New York to start school on Monday, so this is a bummer.....

Petano

Caliper Novice
Aug 24, 2017
I can see you are using Asrock AM4 board with HD-Plex 160W. Did you encounter some issues with this PSU unit related to memory fitment?
I mean was it just "plug and play" with no conflict with memory modules?
What about coil whine?

Currently I have same case but using HD-PLEX 400W and struggle with space a lot. So far it is ok but in future I may be forced to switch to 160W variant to conserve space so I am wondering if it fits.

BlackKnight

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Jul 30, 2017
Hey I had issues with my old motherboard MSI H81i layout and the hdplex 160W. Like you said, it clashed with the RAM. I saw that the Gigabyte AB350 layout would have the same issue. But the ASRock one doesn't have any issues, don't worry. And no coil whine so far.

Reactions: goerkem

VeeTeeF

Caliper Novice
May 12, 2016
What are you using for vertical feet on the MC600? I have the same case and am looking to make it vertical so I can free up some desk space.

BeerNsoup

Cable-Tie Ninja
Mar 12, 2017
Pretty cool build! I like how the light catches the slightly raised edges of the 1060's fan opening. Are your gpu temps a bit higher? It's a pretty creative solution to mounting the GPU, but doesn't the back of the card put out a fair of heat? Would think blocking it off might raise temps a bit?

milky

Case Bender
Sep 27, 2017
This is sweet! Do you have the design files for the ponoko.com acrylic top? Planning to go down a similar route.

TheHig

King of Cable Management
Oct 13, 2016
Your build turned out great! I really like the custom panel and the gpu orientation.

Also interested in what temps you are seeing.

Nice job!

BlackKnight

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Jul 30, 2017
@BeerNsoup @TheHig
Sorry for the late reply. Been busy with school. CPU temp under load is 77.5 and GPU temp under load is 83. Yea, I thought no vent on the back would raise the temps a lot too. My backup plan was to cut a vent on the back and put a mesh if needed, but 83 isn't so bad is it?

@milky
Here is my design. It's an inskape file: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BzuU6YqbgElzY25HNnJXSWdab0E
You might want to remove the screw holes and drill them instead on your own though, because they weren't exactly in the right place for me, but I managed somehow. And you might want to position the vents properly over the GPU and CPU :)

Reactions: TheHig and Soul_Est