slim ODD that works

jeffry7

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Mar 24, 2018
Hi,

I have a NCASE and have loved it except for one thing. The two optical disk drives I have gotten for it have both failed. One was DOA and the other took time to die.

Are others having this experience? I am tempted to get an external, but would prefer to have everything in the case.

Can anyone recommend a slim blu-ray ODD?

Thanks!

MultiDoc

Airflow Optimizer
Feb 2, 2018
Subscribed with interest and a bit worried too.

Fact is that it took me long weeks to find an ODD for my Ncase and I got it last week; but still waiting for the top panel with the slot so i can install it. So reading your post got me worried that the drive I got might even be DOA (it's a Panasonic UJ265 by the way).

Anyway, I'll wait to see what other members suggest.

jeffry7

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Mar 24, 2018
My UJ265 was fine at first and then eventually got so it could not read disks. I have no idea if that is just a fluke or what though.

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
What cable are you using to power it? I had a problem with a Silverstone slim SATA cable some years ago. In my case the drive didn't fail, it just wouldn't accept discs. Apparently the cable wasn't supplying the correct voltage to the drive.

jeffry7

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Mar 24, 2018
What cable are you using to power it? I had a problem with a Silverstone slim SATA cable some years ago. In my case the drive didn't fail, it just wouldn't accept discs. Apparently the cable wasn't supplying the correct voltage to the drive.

This is interesting. When it would not accept disks, what do you mean? Was it that you couldn't insert the disk?

In my case, the disk goes in, but the drive can't read it. It can tell what type it is, but it just makes noises for an indefinite period of time while trying to read the disk. I eventually have to force an eject by pressing the button on the slim drive.

I had to buy a special cable because the slim ODD has a combined power and data connector. The cable lets you plug in ordinary sata data and power connectors and the other end is the special connector for the slim drive.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009JXKQ9O/?tag=theminutiae-20

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
In my case you'd insert a disc and the drive would spit it right back out. Switched out the Silverstone slim SATA adapter for a different one and all was well. The one that worked for me looked a lot like the one in your link though, so that might not be the problem in your case.

ZeroPucks

Caliper Novice
Nov 28, 2017
I have a SilverStone SOB02, which is a re-branded UJ265, and didn't encounter any problems for the year and a half I used it. It came with its own SATA and power cable (90 degree angled plug was perfect for the ML08 case I was using), and again no issues there. It's a little alarming that your UJ265 eventually died over a long period of time, but I can't think of any other slim ODD of that size off the top of my head. It seems to be commonly used on PCPartPicker as well.

https://pcpartpicker.com/builds/by_part/XZx9TW

soundx98

What's an ITX?
New User
Nov 28, 2015
I have been using the SilverStone SOB02 without issue as well (v1.0). I have an eVGA Dual layer DVD in my other M1.
really no issues with either other than noise.