Completed SLATE-CASE AQ >>Status Update - Finalizing Order Fulfillments!

ovenlite1

Cable Smoosher
Oct 25, 2022
Letss Goooo! Arrived two days early!! In person the slate case exceeds my expectations! The anodizing and fitment tolerances are of exceptional quality! Its actually smaller than I was imagining (which is a good thing) and is built like a tank. The renders really dont do it justice, neither do the videos or pictures; you really have to see it and touch it in person to understand the level of quality and attention to detail that went into this case!
The packaging was also of a high standard. It came in an extra thick cardboard box and was protected and insulated by thick quality foam packing inserts. I can see Taylor and the team arent taking any chances with shipping damage after what happened with fedex.
Ill have more time to start taking the case apart and start on my build tonight and this weekend (after thanksgiving), but wanted to share my first impressions with you guys. Im so happy I backed this project and will be using my slate case for my main computer for the next two years, if not longer! Fantastic work @TaylorChiller , you and your team have made, what in my opinion is, the best case of 2022! Imgur album link below:

So jealous! I know I'll probably be waiting a while but that looks so good and I can't wait! Might have to share pics to see if my cat is as excited about it as yours haha

• Haha
Reactions: N9neBreak3r

Gmoney

Average Stuffer
Oct 23, 2020
Man those pictures make me regret choosing natural silver. The satin grey looks super sexy.

Also, always happy to see soft cell foam used for packaging.

Hexxagram

Trash Compacter
Jul 8, 2018
Man those pictures make me regret choosing natural silver. The satin grey looks super sexy.

Also, always happy to see soft cell foam used for packaging.
Well, natural silver is more forgiving with messy fingerprints than the satin gray. 😉

XNine

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jan 11, 2022
My case is out for delivery! Only problem is, it's going to my business and no one is there on the weekends. Hope the weekend UPS guy holds it over till Monday and doesn't drop it outside... Eek!

Baka

Average Stuffer
Aug 5, 2022
My case is out for delivery! Only problem is, it's going to my business and no one is there on the weekends. Hope the weekend UPS guy holds it over till Monday and doesn't drop it outside... Eek!
Do you remember what your order number was?

TaylorChiller

Super Magical Detailer
Original poster
Oct 10, 2019
Hey Everyone!

Just a little update here. We are working very hard and we are a small team. We have a much better flow and will be getting a lot more shipped out.

Also, please refrain from posting and comparing order numbers. I know it is natural to do so, but it is not helpful for us since it can breed unintended discord.

Hope all of you had a great Thanksgiving!

Taylor, Protolyth

Cody K

Cable Smoosher
Nov 10, 2022
Does anyone know the length of the C13/C14 power cable? Looking to make or find a lower profile connector at the PSU.

crxss

Caliper Novice
Sep 22, 2022
Finished my build today. Such a sick case.

Some build comments that hopefully help ya'll:
  • The screws weren't magnetic enough for the ifixit screwdriver
  • I used all the pads in the box to lay all the panels down
  • DO NOT take off both the front and rear fan plates or your case could end up slightly slanted. If you need to work on the rear fan plate put the front back on before. It's a lot of extra screwing but it'll help prevent any misalignment. If the case does get misaligned you can take a level and make sure it's straight or fix the plates back on the case and have it lay on the front or back to make sure the top and bottom metal caps are even before tightening all the screws.
  • The thumbnuts that lock the rails came popping off sometimes and can get lost if you're not careful. Same with the plastic washer in between
  • Shifting the mid bracket makes the top rail really difficult to slide in. Had to loosen the thumbnut and keep it untightened so that it basically stuck between the PSU (which is already a tight fit) but made it a bit easier to slide in. That thumbnut can also get obstructed by the corner of the top outside PSU screw hole. The top thumbnut that gets blocked by the PSU (whichever way you orient it) seems like an oversight that hopefully gets improved for updated versions or the Air release
  • If you're looking to throw in an NZXT AIO or fans w/ RGB, I used the amazing multi-use bracket's smaller mounting plate to stick the NZXT cam controller on there with a magnetic back, which also only fit by shifting the mid bracket. Also stuck the USB hub on the side of the core assembly facing the rear fans. Definitely took some work getting NZXT in there but glad I was able to with the extra space on top.
  • Cable mangement is tricky but so thankful for the front and back sides to stow cables. And the multiple cutouts in the mid bracket. Great call
  • Spin your front fans to make sure they're not brushing up against the fan plates. If it is it could be the riser cable or something pressing up against the back of the fans
  • The riser cable gets pushed to the back of the GPU from the way it's threaded. Wasn't a problem with my FE card but may be an issue with other GPUs
  • The riser cable is also pretty tight to lock into the motherboard
  • Glad we got the GPU gap mod but the lock tab semi obstructs one of the screws
  • I/O cables are almost all perfect lengths. The only one that stood out was the dual rear USB cable that seemed too long imo
  • Would have been better to include a vertical right angle DP cable vs a horizontal one
That's just some of my takeaways from building. Enjoy, everyone! And so thankful for TC and Protolyth! Well worth the wait.

Last edited:

TaylorChiller

Super Magical Detailer
Original poster
Oct 10, 2019
Finished my build today. Such a sick case.

Some build comments that hopefully help ya'll:
  • The screws weren't magnetic enough for the ifixit screwdriver
  • I used all the pads in the box to lay all the panels down
  • DO NOT take off both the front and rear fan plates or your case could end up slightly slanted. If you need to work on the rear fan plate put the front back on before. It's a lot of extra screwing but it'll help prevent any misalignment. If the case does get misaligned you can take a level and make sure it's straight or fix the plates back on the case and have it lay on the front or back to make sure the top and bottom metal caps are even before tightening all the screws.
  • The thumbnuts that lock the rails came popping off sometimes and can get lost if you're not careful. Same with the plastic washer in between
  • Shifting the mid bracket makes the top rail really difficult to slide in. Had to loosen the thumbnut and keep it untightened so that it basically stuck between the PSU (which is already a tight fit) but made it a bit easier to slide in. That thumbnut can also get obstructed by the corner of the top outside PSU screw hole. The top thumbnut that gets blocked by the PSU (whichever way you orient it) seems like an oversight that hopefully gets improved for updated versions or the Air release
  • If you're looking to throw in an NZXT AIO or fans w/ RGB, I used the amazing multi-use bracket's smaller mounting plate to stick the NZXT cam controller on there with a magnetic back, which also only fit by shifting the mid bracket. Also stuck the USB hub on the side of the core assembly facing the rear fans. Definitely took some work getting NZXT in there but glad I was able to with the extra space on top.
  • Cable mangement is tricky but so thankful for the front and back sides to stow cables. Great call
  • Spin your front fans to make sure they're not brushing up against the fan plates. If it is it could be the riser cable or something pressing up against the back of the fans
  • The riser cable gets pushed to the back of the GPU from the way it's threaded. Wasn't a problem with my FE card but may be an issue with other GPUs
  • The riser cable is also pretty tight to lock into the motherboard
  • Glad we got the GPU gap mod but the lock tab semi obstructs one of the screw
  • I/O cables are almost all perfect lengths. The only one that stood out was the dual rear USB cable that seemed too long imo
  • Would have been better to include a vertical right angle DP cable vs a horizontal one
That's just some of my takeaways from building. Enjoy, everyone! And so thankful for TC and Protolyth! Well worth the wait.

Really great feedback!

About the DP cable choice: we considered all the angle options. We chose the included one because it fit best with having multiple monitors.

Reactions: crxss

ddollar

Efficiency Noob
Feb 8, 2022
Excited to get my case! Question with the traditional bracket will a 4090FE fit ? Can I install two 240 rads for the CPU in the configuration with the stock GPU air cooler max thickness for rads & fans for this config?

TaylorChiller

Super Magical Detailer
Original poster
Oct 10, 2019
Excited to get my case! Question with the traditional bracket will a 4090FE fit ? Can I install two 240 rads for the CPU in the configuration with the stock GPU air cooler max thickness for rads & fans for this config?
Unfortunately the 4090 will not fit with the trad bracket. This is because they decided to have the power cable come out straight instead of the the angled one on the 3090... The 4090 power cable will hit the panel, in fact theres a lot of cases that have this problem right now.

Reactions: NinoPecorino

ddollar

Efficiency Noob
Feb 8, 2022
Unfortunately the 4090 will not fit with the trad bracket. This is because they decided to have the power cable come out straight instead of the the angled one on the 3090... The 4090 power cable will hit the panel, in fact theres a lot of cases that have this problem right now.
Ah damn, it will fit in the sandwich layout though I assume?