Completed SLATE-CASE AQ >>Status Update - Finalizing Order Fulfillments!

TaylorChiller

Super Magical Detailer
Original poster
Oct 10, 2019

SLATE-CASE AQ First Round Project COMPLETED! - Jan 30​

Hey Everyone!

It's been a while since the very first post about the Slate-Case, and I just want to reach out and say "thank you" to all the supporters in this project. We have officially shipped out all of the pre-orders from May of 2022. There were some bumps in the road, but through diligence we were able to pull things together and hopefully bring you a product that you can enjoy.

I will post some additional details on the end of this thread so we can keep the discussion going. I hope all of you look forward to many good things for this new year. We will keep you updated with any new designs and further releases!

Best Regards,

Taylor, Protolyth

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LAST ORDER FULFILLMENTS - Dec 23rd​

Hey Everyone!

Some updates for you. We have finished processing all of the Dark Grey orders! 17 of which just need to be labeled/shipped. We will likely get to that next Tuesday as UPS is not picking up tomorrow because of the holiday.

As for the Natural Aluminum color. There are 19 orders remaining. We are scheduled to fulfill these by end of Jan. This is because there was a common defect with the perforated panels in this silver color and we strongly felt it would be better to have them replaced before shipping these last orders. Those that are affected by this will receive a personal email notifying them of the situation and updates that follow. I'm sorry if this creates inconvenience for you, but we want to maintain a quality product, even if it is just the last few.

I also want to send out best wishes for the holidays to all of you. It has been a long road since the first post for the Slate-Case. To be here is a blessing that comes from your support!

Best Regards,

Taylor, Protolyth

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last Warehouse Shipment Cleared -Oct 12​

Hey Everyone!

Just a quick update here. The last parts we have been waiting to eagerly for have now cleared customs and are expected to arrive tomorrow morning! This is big news as we are more likely to full-fill all orders by end of October, hopefully.

I will be sending out emails and updating the website. There will be a page dedicated to providing the Slate-Case Manual so you can prepare for your products to arrive.

Best regards,

Taylor, Protolyth LLC

-May 23rd​

Hey Everyone!

We want to formally notify you that the Pre-Order phase was successful this first run! Just this morning we also placed the last order with the factories and production will officially start. We are a few days later on schedule but are still within our projected schedule for the timeline.

I will keep you updated as we go!

Best regards,

Taylor, Protolyth LLC

-May 5th-
Just letting you all know that we are doing well and are excited for this next week and half to come. We have more content coming this weekend featuring a build with the 3090 ti and a HWlabs 280GTR on the CPU. A lot of you have been asking for compatibility for items like these.

As a reminder, we are pushing for some more pre-orders as we move forward. If we get just 50 more orders we can upgrade everyone with PCIe 4.0 riser cables!

Sffbuild posted some content of a quick build in the Slate Case just so you can see some interaction with the case:

Best,

Taylor, Protolyth LLC

-April 20th-

Our main driver to extending the pre-order window to May 15th was because we have had a lot of people requesting for Reviewer Samples sent to influencers. In order to meet that request we extended this window. We felt it was important for people to know that they are pre-ordering something high-quality and will feel good about their order. We sent a sample to the following youtubers:

Gear Seekers
Machines and More

They both are really good at explaining the details and should help answer a lot of your questions.

Best regards,

Taylor, Protolyth

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-April 13th-

The price for the PRE-ORDER Slate-Case AQ will be increased to $325 USD.

Hopefully this isn't a set back for you all, and we wish the best!

Also, please note that while selecting variations for the PRE-ORDER this will adjust if you want configurations that require higher cost parts.

We have also added the Trad Bracket, Display Port Cable, and Aluminum Feet as separate products that will be shipped with your Slate-Case PRE-ORDER.

Best regards,

Taylor, Protolyth LLC (April 14th, 2022)

>>We are very excited to open pre-orders this Friday, April 15th, and thank you all for your support!<<
We want to let you know there will be a limited number of cases produced every production run. This is based on our manufacturing capacity.

For regional availability, we have decided to focus on North America, Europe (in major select areas), and Australia for this first run. This is to the keep production process smooth.

General Shipping Estimates

-North America: $30-60
-Europe: $100-200
-Australia: $150-200

(Depends on rates and shipping time selection)

Project Updates

We have also been paying close attention to variations in the market for raw material costs and operational costs. As we do a final review of project quotes, it is possible that the price of the Slate-Case may need to be adjusted to meet those requirements.

However, we are committed to retaining a promotional price for this first run and look forward to your participation on Friday!

CHECK OUT THE WEBSITE: sign up for the waitlist and product updates!

www.protolyth.com

>Please view the new webpage updates - New Timeline Diagram<

-Improved visuals to help tell the build story, and technical details (more diagrams to come)

-Included the option for choosing the panels you want (one perforated option required).

-Color choice as well, although this is heavily based on order quantity.

Preorder Date: ->April 15th<-
Production Timeline Goal: May 1st - June 30th
Start Shipment Goal: Sept 1st (This is influenced by many factors, and is the earliest estimate date. Shipment date could change depending on the supply chain).

close.jpg Rear.jpg

Updated Product Specs:

-Dimensions: L - 294mm, W - 179mm, H - 373mm

-Volume: 19.7 liters

-GPU clearance: L - 325mm, W - up to 4 slots, H - 170mm (depends on setup)

-CPU cooler clearance: 80mm (with perf. panel)

-PSU support: SFX, SFX-L

-Storage: Up to Five 2.5in drives

Changelist: March 3rd, 2022
-Added some slots and holes for better cable management
-Removed one of the slot ribs for better airflow for blower style cooling
-Website content updates
-Timeline updated
-Better certified power cable

Changelist: June 10th, 2021
-Altered size of front and back I/O to accommodate passthrough (rear) and space for addition front connectors (audio and usbC).
-Consolidated aluminum columns and fanplate into one part, (this made assembly much smoother while also lowering part cost).
-Made adjustments to various brackets for clearance and rigidity (especially for the PCIE riser cable).
-Custom length PCIE riser cable.
-Front and Rear Grills are now aluminum, (they were injection molded nylon but I felt this didn't quite fit with the design given some feedback).
-Small adjustments to the System Core rail system (this is for ease of use and to ensure strong locking).
-Improved panel indexing geometry.
-Implemented a bracket shift so users can compromise CPU clearance for more GPU clearance (3.5 slots).
-Introduced dedicated brackets for DDC pump and 2.5drives (up to 6 drives).
-Support for 30 series GPUs
-Perforated panels

Future Endeavors:

-Looking into adding an additional DPcable extension for dual monitor users (so they don't need to use the passthrough.
-Considering an opening for a top cap lid so users can reorient their case into an upward motherboard alignment (like the phanteks shift ).
-Optional, interchangeable bed bracket to change the case from a dual chamber layout into and traditional layout, (like the Ncase, which would still allow dual radiator support; I actually already have this designed but it is set to release after first stage).
-Optional feet to turn case 90 degrees for traditional Motherboard orientation.
-Release of Slate-Case Air with be after successful release of AQ.

ARCHIVE CONTENT:
In the past two weeks I realized that the internal design of the original case was not strong enough. Considering some of the feedback I've received, I went back to the drawing board and made some very significant changes to the overall experience and features of the case:
-two different size options (19.9L and 15.4L) -added modular support for cooling -new internal structure (CNC ALUMINIUM) -rail system that increases access to component installation -removed all exterior screws, only sleek part lines -thinned out material thicknesses for lighter weight -full glass panel edge to edge
-supports up to 60mm thick radiators -dual radiators (recommend perforated panels) -support for mDTX motherboards

SLATE MT1 case

Looking forward to all your feedback! Please note that this case does not aim to be the smallest SFFcase, but to bring a fresh look and opportunity for those interested. If you like it, please share "why." If you hate it, also please share "why."

(Some have asked about adding an optional handle, what do you think?)

Enjoy,

Taylorchiller

Attachments

• product1.49.png
    product1.49.png
    99.4 KB · Views: 2,377
  • product1.55.png
    product1.55.png
    170.9 KB · Views: 2,391
  • Context.jpg
    Context.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 559
  • Poll shot.jpg
    Poll shot.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 299
Last edited:

TaylorChiller

Super Magical Detailer
Original poster
Oct 10, 2019
That is gorgeous. Layout and design look great.

As a mechanical keyboard enthusiast I like the Cherry MX switch as the power button but it does look out of place on such a sleek case.

If the screws on the aluminum end caps could somehow be hidden this case would be perfect.

I agree about the screws. They are positioned in line with other elements so they feel okay, but yeah that refinement may come later. It comes down to the complexity of assembly in manufacturing/production. Having no screws will increase costs, however if numbers add up well, then It is something I'd want to change also. A shallower key for the mxcherry might feel better too.

CountNoctua

(no relation)
Jul 11, 2019
I suggested a Kailh Choc switch in another thread (nice to see mechanical power switches is a thing now). Flatter stem should be more stable, and the heavy variant (~100g) would be well suited for a power switch.

Reactions: scatterforce

TaylorChiller

Super Magical Detailer
Original poster
Oct 10, 2019
I suggested a Kailh Choc switch in another thread (nice to see mechanical power switches is a thing now). Flatter stem should be more stable, and the heavy variant (~100g) would be well suited for a power switch.
Sweet, thanks for the suggestion. I guess it wouldn't be too much different to use those (Kailh Choc switch). If people are to customize their power switch they would just use the appropriate geometry.

Reactions: LegendsofMace

CountNoctua

(no relation)
Jul 11, 2019
I like the case design overall, too. Very nice symmetrical modularity. Dimensions and compatibility are pretty much perfect for me in what I was looking for in a case.

Reactions: TaylorChiller

Ukee

Efficiency Noob
New User
May 22, 2019
This is probably my dream case, it fits all my wants and needs.
78mm CPU cooler height, 280mm radiator, 320mm GPU length and looks good while at it, take my damn money already.

Really like the power button too, users can add more flair to it by using their own keycap, maybe an artisan one too.

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
Okay, thoughts:

In regards to the power switch: WOW. That is cool. I love it!

Case itself: I prefer it vertical.

Question: Who did you have manufacture it?

Reactions: CountNoctua

August

SFF Lingo Aficionado
SFFn Staff
Silver Supporter
Jun 19, 2019
gusmiller.com
You mention 280mm radiator support—is this in the front and back?! ?

Brilliant design. A kick of personality with the mechanical switch. Looks like it's got good bones, and some well-considered modular aspects. Eager to hear more!

TaylorChiller

Super Magical Detailer
Original poster
Oct 10, 2019
Can you make a video about the progress? I'd be happy to sub on youtube and lookout for this. also, do you have an estimated release date?
I will be making videos soon. I'll be making a second case so I can demo an air cooled setup vs a water cooled. You can follow me on Instagram if you like, @TaylorChiller, either way I'll keep you guys updated.

TaylorChiller

Super Magical Detailer
Original poster
Oct 10, 2019
You mention 280mm radiator support—is this in the front and back?! ?

Brilliant design. A kick of personality with the mechanical switch. Looks like it's got good bones, and some well-considered modular aspects. Eager to hear more!
Hey August,
Glad you are interested! As of right now the design supports up to one 280. This was a decision I had to make to keep the case design direction under 20L. However it would be possible to design an extension to the body, similar to the Louqe Ghost does with their top hats, except on the front. I'm not sure if the spacial requirements meets the gain though as one of the radiators would be using cycled air from the first based on the current layout. I'll be releasing more as this progresses. You can also follow me on instagram if you wish, @TaylorChiller

Reactions: CountNoctua

TaylorChiller

Super Magical Detailer
Original poster
Oct 10, 2019
Okay, thoughts:

In regards to the power switch: WOW. That is cool. I love it!

Case itself: I prefer it vertical.

Question: Who did you have manufacture it?
Hey Windfall and @CountNoctua
Thanks for the feedback! As more manufacturing this prototype, I had protocase do most of the sheet metal forming. There were some steps I made a tool to press. I did all the 3dprints, finishing and assembly. I have a workshop at the studio so that makes things easier.

Kylenol

Chassis Packer
Nov 15, 2019
I love how clean and sophisticated this case looks! The switch for power is a great idea. It would be cool to choose my switch type to my own personal preference like one of the heavier zealious switches. I'm planning to build a new relatively small gaming/workstation rig when rtx 3080 comes out and would love to use this case in the new year. Any ETA on this beautiful case?

youngdocument

Trash Compacter
Nov 15, 2018
Love to see a vertical layout and the power switch is a great detail. Does it have mounts/places for case fans? Are there parts of the design you can scale back to free up volume and increase GPU compatibility to triple slot?