Completed SLATE-CASE AQ >>Status Update - Finalizing Order Fulfillments!

TaylorChiller

Super Magical Detailer
Original poster
Oct 10, 2019
Hey Taylor, super excited to get my case. Some questions for you if you can spare the time:

1. Just so I can visualize - what is limiting one side from going to 30mm rad + 25mm fans? FWIW I'm fine going with a 30mm rad and a 20mm rad... I'm just curious what that radiator is hypothetically crowding in on.
  2. Assuming I use an EK waterblock on my 3080ti FE (205mm width), at most I can fit an FLT80 reservoir (80mm width) next to it (with 16mm M-M fittings connecting the two to keep width to a minimum) and not an FLT120 (120mm width). Does this sound right to you?
  3. Is there a different place where I should consider putting a reservoir (like the FLT120) instead?
Hey,

1 - The lower half of the inner bracket assembly (or spine in some terms) close into the space of the lower fan. If you used a 20mm and a 30mm then you should be able to use all 25mm fans. Note that there is only "1" fan that needs to be 15mm while using 30mm rads (28mm rads work best).

2 - FLT120 is hard fit. Only way to make this one work I think is placing it where the rads would go, or if you use the trad layout, but that limits your rad space ( for now). The FLT80 should fit fine along side your waterblock (I have that same waterblock)

3 - I think I answered this in #2, honestly people are always doing so many creative things. I'm sure people will figure out ways to build that I haven't even considered.

TaylorChiller

Super Magical Detailer
Original poster
Oct 10, 2019
@TaylorChiller So with the final design and the core shifted for more GPU space the AQ supports 327mm x 170mm x 4 slots of depth but only 3 PCIE expansion slots tabs without modification correct? Just trying to figure everything out with the upcoming 4000 series Nvidia gpus.
So, the PCIE expansion slot clearance, is more just clearance. The bracket is not typical in this sense as to allow more clearance for air to pass. We made an update to the design (before production). While in 3 slot clearance you should have 3 PCIe slots. Whith 4 slot clearance you should have 4ish slots, this is because of the goemetry. If you're using an ITX motherboard this topic is a bit unnecessary as you only have one PCIe connector on the board.
If by chance someone decides to mod their case and use a mATX board using the Trad Bracket then there would be limitations place on your additional PCIe connectors past the first one, (your GPU usually blocks those these days).

Reactions: firassasin

TaylorChiller

Super Magical Detailer
Original poster
Oct 10, 2019
Got my power button keycap ready for my slate case! What are you guys going to use?
Love the key caps! Also I cannot guarantee that all caps will fit. The cherry switch is a bit recessed in its location. I do know that some key caps with sharp corners may need a slight rounding to take off a bit of the sharpness to glide properly. I am more than willing to help anyone that has questions on this or could use some help with some simple CAD.

Reactions: N9neBreak3r

N9neBreak3r

Airflow Optimizer
Jul 17, 2020
I think something simple would suit the majority. I'm planning on finding an aluminum artisan or something like this-
Hey @chev_chelios check out these keycaps, their pretty close to what your looking for:

Reactions: chev_chelios

Baka

Average Stuffer
Aug 5, 2022
Also, say some kind person decides to include a special gift in with your case for being pre-orderers... Whats all of your favorite themes for artisan key caps? Starwars, LOTR, LEGO, etc? (no promises though)
shoot..I'd go for anything that's a 1st edition related-accent. Let's get that signed autograph keycap!

Reactions: TaylorChiller

TaylorChiller

Super Magical Detailer
Original poster
Oct 10, 2019
Hey Everyone!

Just a small update. We are seeing some delays for this last freight delivery. We are still shooting for September to fulfill orders though. I'll keep you updated on this.

Best,

Taylor

Gmoney

Average Stuffer
Oct 23, 2020
Man all of the 4080/4090 AIB cards are 340mm+ and 3.5+ slots.

FE remains the same dimensions as the 3090 FE but given how huge the partner cards have become I don't think the FE is a wise choice this generation in terms of temps/noise.

• Haha
Reactions: thelaughingman

XNine

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jan 11, 2022

FE remains the same dimensions as the 3090 FE but given how huge the partner cards have become I don't think the FE is a wise choice this generation in terms of temps/noise.

I don't think the 4xxx series is wise at all given the temps and power draw. And I ONLY do custom loops, so noise/temps aren't a huge concern... but I'll wait a generation, my 3080 will do fine til then.

TaylorChiller

Super Magical Detailer
Original poster
Oct 10, 2019

I'm actually quite disappointed with Nvidia this time around. Instead of focusing on efficiency, they decide to just throw more power requirements into something that we don't even need yet. From a design/environmental perspective it is concerning to me. I think most people who are wanting to do 40 series cards in SFF will have to watercool at least the GPU.

HWI

Average Stuffer
Sep 6, 2022
I'm actually quite disappointed with Nvidia this time around. Instead of focusing on efficiency, they decide to just throw more power requirements into something that we don't even need yet. From a design/environmental perspective it is concerning to me. I think most people who are wanting to do 40 series cards in SFF will have to watercool at least the GPU.
The rumors for AMD 7000 cards is that they aimed at efficiency, so that might be something to look forward to.

Reactions: rfarmer

TaylorChiller

Super Magical Detailer
Original poster
Oct 10, 2019
So i just wanted to help clarify something for anyone who is wondering about the new FE 40 series cards. There are floating numbers that the cards are 336mm or even as low at 304mm length. I took some time, and I scaled the gpu that the nvidia ceo held in his hand at the reveal according to the pcie dimensions. Comes closer to 304mm length.

What this means: based on my estimate, all of the FE cards should fit in the slatecase. Obviously we still can't say anything about the cards from other suppliers, (Asus, Gigabyte, etc.). Still, remains final validation when they actually get released.

For the Trad Bracket: I do not think the 4090 or 4080 FE cards will "completely" fit in this traditional layout. This is because the new power connector cables come straight out and are not very flexible. They will lightly block the side panel, unless someone finds a low-profile adapter, but this is pretty early for those to be around.

Gmoney

Average Stuffer
Oct 23, 2020
Yeah I don't think many partner cards will fit.

Strix = 357mm, 3.75 slots
TUF = 343mm, 3.5 slots
SUPRIM and Gaming X = 330mm+
Zotac AMP = 350mm+

Only ones besides the FE with confirmed lengths are from Asus but the others you can estimate based on fan size and equivalent 3090 Ti model.

This isn't just a Slate Case problem, it's a entire SFF problem because most SFF cases will not accommodate them.

Rybamech

Chassis Packer
Feb 20, 2022
Only option to fit a high end 4000 series GPU into SFF case would be watercooling.
From the picture of Asus Strix it seems the PCB would be around 260-280mm.
I'm happy that I ordered Slate Case, as I'm ready for two 280mm rads.

Reactions: N9neBreak3r