Completed SLATE-CASE AQ >>Status Update - Finalizing Order Fulfillments!

Revenant

Christopher Moine - Senior Editor SFF.N
Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
64671217-70B8-462D-9F8D-5AD89E210F44.jpeg

FFEEDD38-74C4-4C83-BF0C-923506A6D6A4.jpeg
Preliminary pic. Wife put the legos on it.

The magnets all fell out in shipping so I’ve got to glue them back in place.

Upcoming changes will be: wiring, fix magnets, custom cables, 8.8 inch vertical LCD on the GPU side, NZXT AIO to replace the MSI. Hopefully, a RTX 5090 eventually. LOL.

Now I have to get back to running benchmarks for SFFN on the new REDACTED by REDACTED.

Last edited:

DASBOOT

Airflow Optimizer
Dec 31, 2017

Revenent's​

Favorite of all-time tool, all I ever wanted for Christmas. I don't see any hammer marks?? You really need a 5090 cruise ship anchor??

Revenant

Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017

Revenent's​

Favorite of all-time tool, all I ever wanted for Christmas. I don't see any hammer marks?? You really need a 5090 cruise ship anchor??

Properly used a rubber mallet won't leave marks....or evidence behind.

Reactions: NinoPecorino

Baka

Average Stuffer
Aug 5, 2022
Thread...I command thee to .....RISE FROM YOUR GRAVE!

Can't believe it's been a year already. I did the annual flush and upgraded some parts. Copied a few ideas from you fellas so thanks for the ideas! Still loving the case.
  • Replaced the DC-LTs with an EK DDC pump/res.
  • Upgraded from 5600x to 5800x3d
  • Switched to silicone wiring for better cable management.
  • Added an 8.8in screen.

Last edited:

DASBOOT

Airflow Optimizer
Dec 31, 2017
Who did the silicone? I have done it myself before and even with a real Molex crimp tool (over $300.00) getting a good crimp is hard as the silicone is so soft. I have used Dream Big Ray and he does an excellent job I have a white and baby blue alternating set on one of my builds, and a white and black one on one of my ITX test benches with a Lian Li SFF PS mounted to it. I see you have a couple of black molexes that need to lighten up to white.... Good job if you did the work.... BTW DBR has 3D-printed cable combs that fit the silicone perfectly but he does not sell them separately. That 10-pin right in front needs some location management love. Beautiful job on the hardline and data screen.

Reactions: Baka

Baka

Average Stuffer
Aug 5, 2022
Ha! You noticed the black heads. Mistakes were made with the 12pin length, and it could use a trim. But, I did use Dream Big Ray as well. They do good work and quick with the orders. I'm still waiting for the silicone molex cable but I'll prob wait until next year's maintenance. I forgot how much of a pain it is to bleed air out of a loop.

XNine

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jan 11, 2022
The spine can be tough to get in because of the slight curvature that happens when putting it fully loaded into the car. You have to either shimmy it back and forth or bend the case frame back.... I should know, I only pulled mine apart and put it back together 2 dozen times.

Reactions: Baka and Revenant

infinite winter

Efficiency Noob
Sep 27, 2022
The spine can be tough to get in because of the slight curvature that happens when putting it fully loaded into the car. You have to either shimmy it back and forth or bend the case frame back.... I should know, I only pulled mine apart and put it back together 2 dozen times.
Would lightly greasing the rails help? I don't have a case, so idk

TaylorChiller

Super Magical Detailer
Original poster
Oct 10, 2019
Can't believe it's been a year already. I did the annual flush and upgraded some parts. Copied a few ideas from you fellas so thanks for the ideas! Still loving the case.
  • Replaced the DC-LTs with an EK DDC pump/res.
  • Upgraded from 5600x to 5800x3d
  • Switched to silicone wiring for better cable management.
  • Added an 8.8in screen.
Super Clean build! Loving the screen!

TaylorChiller

Super Magical Detailer
Original poster
Oct 10, 2019
View attachment 3043

View attachment 3044
Preliminary pic. Wife put the legos on it.

The magnets all fell out in shipping so I’ve got to glue them back in place.

Upcoming changes will be: wiring, fix magnets, custom cables, 8.8 inch vertical LCD on the GPU side, NZXT AIO to replace the MSI. Hopefully, a RTX 5090 eventually. LOL.

Now I have to get back to running benchmarks for SFFN on the new REDACTED by REDACTED.
HAHAHA. I'm actually loving your experience. Really good feedback. I've already done some refinement to the rail system for better tolerance and better gliding.
It actually has a lot to do with there being too much play between one end of each rail and the other. So we decided to remove two of the thumb nuts and have the other end of each rail fixed. This doesn't change the holding strength much and ensures proper spacing while gliding in the rail.

As for the magnets... Some of the batches the factory didn't mix the two-part epoxy well enough, or apply it correctly. So, unfortunately some of them came out. We even tested all the magnets before shipping them out.

crxss

Caliper Novice
Sep 22, 2022
HAHAHA. I'm actually loving your experience. Really good feedback. I've already done some refinement to the rail system for better tolerance and better gliding.
It actually has a lot to do with there being too much play between one end of each rail and the other. So we decided to remove two of the thumb nuts and have the other end of each rail fixed. This doesn't change the holding strength much and ensures proper spacing while gliding in the rail.

As for the magnets... Some of the batches the factory didn't mix the two-part epoxy well enough, or apply it correctly. So, unfortunately some of them came out. We even tested all the magnets before shipping them out.
How’s the SLATE AIR coming along thooooo

Revenant

Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
@TaylorChiller What size megnets are holding the side panels. I measured about 10 x 5 mm on the calipers. Do you have a recommended make and model for it?

TaylorChiller

Super Magical Detailer
Original poster
Oct 10, 2019
@TaylorChiller What size megnets are holding the side panels. I measured about 10 x 5 mm on the calipers. Do you have a recommended make and model for it?
Hey Chris, sometimes I don't get an email notification for sffnetwork... anyway the nominal magnet size for the panels is 3/8in Dia by 3/16 thickness.

TaylorChiller

Super Magical Detailer
Original poster
Oct 10, 2019
Here is a link

Reactions: infinite winter

Revenant

Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
Hey Chris, sometimes I don't get an email notification for sffnetwork... anyway the nominal magnet size for the panels is 3/8in Dia by 3/16 thickness.

Thank you. I see you're using Freedom Units to measure them. 😁

For those that don't know about Freedom Units, this explains it.

Last edited:

Revenant

Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
Well…I got the magnets in. That was not fun. Lots of clean up due to the adhesive. A few lessons learned:

1. Use a bunch of magnets stacked together and jam the last one into placement hole, otherwise it won’t work.

2. Have a roll of paper towels and some wet ones nearby.

3. have Cotten balls and acetone to clean up the glue residue.

4. this takes about 30 minutes and it’s mostly cleaning.

5. you can cut the time down if you use masking tape (several layers) to protect the case first.

6. always wear gloves and do this in a very well ventilated area. I did the former but got a headache from the later. Room wasn’t ventilated enough.

7. You may need a hammer to fully tap the magnets in. Slate logo should include some sort of hammer at this point.

The side panel is on. All that’s left for this build are cables. Still waiting on them. I’m also going to make a cover to hide the cables on the GPU side. Not sure if I’ll do metal, 3D print, or repurpose.

Excuse the RGB ram. It’s normally blue.

Things I wish I did differently: ordered a second glass panel and second black panel, and used an AIO with the tubing on offset to one side.

Full specs:

I9-13900K
MSI Z790i Edge
64GB of G.Skill DDR5-6400
Samsung 980 Pro / WD SN850
EVGA XC3 RTX 3080 10GB
NZXT 280mm AIO
4X Phanteks D30-140 fans in a front to back flow through config.
Corsair 1,000 watt SFX-L

Attachments

• 01F51F56-0C62-4934-A1D8-203FDD2C49FD.jpeg
    01F51F56-0C62-4934-A1D8-203FDD2C49FD.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 12
  • CF1EDD6E-547B-42A7-ACE5-21205689381B.jpeg
    CF1EDD6E-547B-42A7-ACE5-21205689381B.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 12
Last edited: