Completed SLATE-CASE AQ >>Status Update - Finalizing Order Fulfillments!

TaylorChiller

Super Magical Detailer
Original poster
Oct 10, 2019
Thanks for the reply! I think this is definitely an improvement compared to an all-covered design, and I get you want things to look nice, but I still believe it is causing more issues than it is solving.

If you simply had a passthrough window at the back like the Meshlicious and SV540, you'd be able to cover all scenarios, and only those constantly unplugging and replugging items to the back of the case (the minority) would be affected.

The only item I'd have a port for at the back is power, the rest should be fine to work through motherboard and front IO, in my opinion. Anything more just introduces points of failure and ports that become obselete as technology improves.

This isn't a laptop that's constantly being plugged into new displays/devices. For most, a device that is 20L and this weight remains stationary on a desk.

TL;DR: IMO, you should save yourself and everyone the headache and costs and leave the back gap fully open with an AC Cable extention only.
@BRSxIgnition @robojim Since this has come up several times, I will look into making a simple survey so we can see accurate numbers. I think what we all agree here is that there is a balance between two options that needs harmony. Also, please take note that this rear IO plate is specifically designed to be removable. Making a new plate with updated cable geometries and options becomes more straight forward. Wherever we choose that is balance lands on, know that there is always room for improvement.

Thanks again for this feedback!

MODZERO

Average Stuffer
Jul 9, 2016
www.instagram.com
Stumbled across your chassis on Instagram. I'm so into this!! I've recently completed a couple FAB Sliger builds, but I'm aching for something they'll show off the internals a little more.. Glad I've not missed preorders.

Signed up for the email newsletter, look forward to doing a MODZERO effort in this case.

Keep up the great work chaps.

J.

Reactions: TaylorChiller

Stinkybear

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Apr 7, 2020
@BRSxIgnition @robojim Since this has come up several times, I will look into making a simple survey so we can see accurate numbers. I think what we all agree here is that there is a balance between two options that needs harmony. Also, please take note that this rear IO plate is specifically designed to be removable. Making a new plate with updated cable geometries and options becomes more straight forward. Wherever we choose that is balance lands on, know that there is always room for improvement.

I agree with what's been said. I haven't been paying as much attention because I'm waiting for the air version but I've seen other cases where the display cable compatibility is an added headache. I see dedicated ports being needed only when standard cable parts don't fit in the bottom. Once parts are plugged, they rarely need swapping. If I did need to, between io being under and in the back, it's still a minor pain to access anything that isn't front/top. I have usb ports on my monitor that serve that purpose of easy plug and unplug because it's easier to access than a rear io. I would treat the rear and back ports that same as plug it in and don't touch it so IMO just a cut out for pass through works for me with a bonus of reducing cost (I don't know how much) and no real loss in my use case.

kippenvel

Efficiency Noob
Jan 12, 2021
Hey everyone!

Just want to touch base and let you know I've been busy working. It seems there is always a new thing to solve when working with factories. I will have some updates for you this Saturday!
Maybe today? I'm very much looking forward to this case for my new build!

TaylorChiller

Super Magical Detailer
Original poster
Oct 10, 2019
I assume this got delayed?
Yes, unfortunately it is taking longer. I should have messaged you all the other week. Progress is moving forward though. We had some items to resolve with the sheet metal factory. Long story short we are working on a more specific timeline this week based on the factory's capacity. It will determine whether we need to push into the beginning of 2022 or if the factory has capacity for producing end of this year.

I estimate we will still open for preorders within the end of this year, and we will be able to ship product beginning of 2022.

(I'm sorry this is taking longer than expected. I've also had some personal matters to take care of; and I want this project to launch well so I will take all necessary steps to ensure a good product).

Best,

Taylor

Pyotr

Caliper Novice
Oct 2, 2020

Discovered this today, and super interested since im looking for a dual rad vert case - Will there be STL files released to make custom rear IO panels? i route everything over thunderbolt, so I can get away with a more minimal setup if I can just print one to fit!

Signed up for email alerts, so really looking forward for this launch!

TaylorChiller

Super Magical Detailer
Original poster
Oct 10, 2019
Hey Everyone,

Just wanted to let you all know that I am just recovering from Covid. We have been very safe here and I still got to have an experience with it. It slowed some progress down, but now we are picking back up again. I will work harder on giving updates and posts more frequently. I'll focus on doing this every Thursday. Hope all of you are doing well!

Best regards,

Taylor

Gilles3000

Airflow Optimizer
Oct 6, 2018
Hey Everyone,

Just wanted to let you all know that I am just recovering from Covid. We have been very safe here and I still got to have an experience with it. It slowed some progress down, but now we are picking back up again. I will work harder on giving updates and posts more frequently. I'll focus on doing this every Thursday. Hope all of you are doing well!

Best regards,

Taylor
Yeah, its ridiculously contagious, know an old couple that basically didn't have visitors and didn't leave the house since the first lockdown other than for the weekly groceries trip, an they still caught it...

Just take it easy and focus on recovering, shit's no laughing matter.

Fitchew

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 2, 2019
Hey @TaylorChiller hope you doing well.
I have a few questions. Is it possible to pass through tubes inside case under the top cover to bring them out and connect an external radiator? Or is there somewhere place in the back wall to make holes for such a connection, for example, to put adapters like this or prepare holes in advance like in Ncase M1 backwall or somekind of passthrough connection like this or this?

Seyumi

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Nov 9, 2021
Just ran across this case last night and 100% ready to pre-order. You definitely have a customer here.

I think you have a very unique SSF case and will gain a lot of traction. They're pretty much killing off the NCase M1, and also the Winter One, so options are getting more limited overtime. Looks like Aluminum prices are killing off all these "premium" case manufactures (just like CaseLabs).

Your case has unique features that most ITX cases don't support:

-Dual 120mm AIO/Radiator support
-Moveable motherboard tray (very useful for larger AIO graphics cards for hose clearance)

I would like to see (at least the in the future, willing to buy again):

-Built in dust filters
-Customizable back IO tray (I use HDMI 2.1 for example)
-Possible fan mounting brackets on perforated side panels (looks like you can maybe fit slim 15mm 120mm fans on both chambers for extra cooling?)

Seyumi

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Nov 9, 2021
Sorry I meant dual 240mm radiator support. Where is the edit post button on this forum anyway? I don't see it anywhere. Is it because I'm a new user?

TaylorChiller

Super Magical Detailer
Original poster
Oct 10, 2019
Hey Everyone,

Gonna give a weekly update here. This should be short. Right now we are working on getting the schedule ready for production timeline as stated before. We are nearing the point to announce a preorder date!

-Because I need to validate the quality of finish we are choosing for the aluminum parts I've decided to order another set of samples. These should not hinder our schedule.

-We have received some additional samples from the cable factory and they look great.

@Seyumi good input, we have purposely left room between the grills for filters, but to keep some costs down this will be future addon or a user added item. As for the rear IO plate, there has been some good discussion on the the needs of different users. From my own research and feedback it seems 50% like the consolidated IO and 50% like an entirely open IO. I have already made accommodations to make a larger passthrough with the existing layout. While we are working some things out with the sheet metal factory, I am putting some time into what the future options are for this IO plate (I will most likely also provide users with CAD geometry so they can even print their own IO geometry since it is a very simple part).

@Fitchew good question about passthroughs for external radiators. This is a lower use case, however I have given it some thought. Right now the easiest way to accomplish this is by using the rear IO passthrough for this feature. Otherwise you will have to cut holes into the aluminum grill or not use the grill.

Hope this helps!

PS we have been paying attention with the recent increase of prices of material and shipping. This is a concern for everyone in the product development industry and it hurts new companies the most. Lets stay positive and I will continue to give updates on this topic.

Thanks everyone!

Matteomora

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Jul 19, 2021
Hey Everyone,

Gonna give a weekly update here. This should be short. Right now we are working on getting the schedule ready for production timeline as stated before. We are nearing the point to announce a preorder date!

-Because I need to validate the quality of finish we are choosing for the aluminum parts I've decided to order another set of samples. These should not hinder our schedule.

-We have received some additional samples from the cable factory and they look great.

@Seyumi good input, we have purposely left room between the grills for filters, but to keep some costs down this will be future addon or a user added item. As for the rear IO plate, there has been some good discussion on the the needs of different users. From my own research and feedback it seems 50% like the consolidated IO and 50% like an entirely open IO. I have already made accommodations to make a larger passthrough with the existing layout. While we are working some things out with the sheet metal factory, I am putting some time into what the future options are for this IO plate (I will most likely also provide users with CAD geometry so they can even print their own IO geometry since it is a very simple part).

@Fitchew good question about passthroughs for external radiators. This is a lower use case, however I have given it some thought. Right now the easiest way to accomplish this is by using the rear IO passthrough for this feature. Otherwise you will have to cut holes into the aluminum grill or not use the grill.

Hope this helps!

PS we have been paying attention with the recent increase of prices of material and shipping. This is a concern for everyone in the product development industry and it hurts new companies the most. Lets stay positive and I will continue to give updates on this topic.

Thanks everyone!
Finally!! 👏

TaylorChiller

Super Magical Detailer
Original poster
Oct 10, 2019
Hey everyone,

Sorry for the late update this week.

@Matteomora Yes we are nearing a decision. I'm looking into what will be the best decision for most people.

I know we have been pushing the suggested date further ahead for a while now. This has many reasons. Earlier this year we had a goal to open pre-orders in August, this didn't happen because we needed more time to solve some details and because we have been looking at how the production and shipping industry is doing and trying to make a solid decision for that as well.

As for the timeline we are looking at currently: (subject to change based on factory's schedule and capacity, economy, and user/market feedback)

Preorder date: Beginning - mid January.

Manufacturing/Production: Starts between end January and/or end of February, (1-3 month grace period to finish, first production round always takes longer in case of tooling alterations or tolerance changes).

Shipping: As late as April - May.

(We theoretically could start preorders in a few weeks from now, however it is a higher risk for us and for time. It is also competing with users' expectations for the Holidays and we need to be clear so everyone is on the same page).

How do you all feel about these dates? I know this is quite a bit later than our original goals, but we want to have a strong release.

Looking forward to your feedback! Thanks