Completed SLATE-CASE AQ >>Status Update - Finalizing Order Fulfillments!

TaylorChiller

Super Magical Detailer
Original poster
Oct 10, 2019
will the glass panels be flush with the surface of the aluminum? Or are they thicker?
The glass is flush with the aluminum. However if you take a magnifying glass you will notice there is a tolerance difference between the two materials. you may measure about 0.25ish MM difference (slightly thinner glass) if using calipers. Visually unnoticeable.

TaylorChiller

Super Magical Detailer
Original poster
Oct 10, 2019
-- UPDATE August 10th, 2021 --

TimeLine:

This post is to bring you all up to speed with the timeline. We are working hard to get things where they need to before pre-ordering phase.
Initially we made a goal earlier this year to announce pre-ordering late August 2021. This has changed and been expanded to late September. If the factories run into any hurdles, (exp: material demand/shortage, covid-19 influence, shipping restrictions/delays), this goal could be extended into October possibly further. I would like to ask you all to be patient and thank you for your support so far!

Current Tasks:

-Promo Video: we have been also working on a video to showcase the difference features on this case. This is something that has been needed for a while to build up more momentum and keep the energy going. Several other times I've talked about posting a process video, but I put it aside until now since I felt it needs to be something special. I've been able to receive the help of some of my friends I know to help with video production and even music used. Its going to be pretty cool.

-Factory Collaboration: this is an on-going task as we fine tune certain details. We learned a lot from the first factory samples and are implementing them to the design. These are things like making 1-2mm adjustments to features for clearance and fit so everything feels good.

-Business Scaling: As we get closer to pre-ordering and releases I am also finishing up the website in preparation for order fulfillment and management.

Changelog:

-Slightly adjusted the height dimension of the case by 2.5mm. This was an important change to make radiator clearance for certain setups.
-Reversed a side flange on the motherboard bracket. This allowed for better PCI cable holding (on the stock cable). Creates a natural handle. And, opens full MiniDTX support with no modification @Fitchew (many of you have asked about this). The only con is that it may require the user to use the horizontal shift feature (move bracket toward CPU side for more GPU space) to use the lower hole arrangement for water pumps. This was another one of those "how can we benefit the larger percentage of use cases" decision. In my opinion this only has positive effects.
-Removed redundant, upper flange on the fan plates (these are the pieces of the frame that hold radiators and fans). This was to increase clearance support for various radiator brands.
-"Quality of use" PCIE bracket changes: this includes clearances for installation and for modularity. This product will include 2 aluminum standoffs that are spaced specifically for increasing the open area between the GPU and Motherboard bracket. This change allows support for SIGNIFICANTLY higher cooling for FE Nvidia cards. And for implementing more options for cable management, especially with watercooling. It also opens up support for using a passive or active cooler for the back side of the GPU, like for the 3090 cards.

We are so close right now, and I'm super excited! If you have any questions please hit me up and I'll do my best to answer. It seems that my schedule works best for responding on Thursdays and Sundays.

Best regards,

Protolyth Team Shootsample4.jpg

Last edited:

flacman

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 23, 2016
This case looks absolutely stunning - I was one of the first to jump on the original DAN and NFC cases in what seems like a lifetime ago, and have fallen off the SFF bandwagon for a few years now. Awesome work!

Loving the clean, industrial aesthetics and mechanical power switch.

I'm not sure if this has been covered before, but from the images I can find there only seems to be 1x DP, 2xUSB in the rear IO -- does (or how) this case cater for additional USB inputs (e.g. I would need to have Mouse, Keyboard, external USB DAC and possibly one external drive) without using a hub?

TaylorChiller

Super Magical Detailer
Original poster
Oct 10, 2019
This case looks absolutely stunning - I was one of the first to jump on the original DAN and NFC cases in what seems like a lifetime ago, and have fallen off the SFF bandwagon for a few years now. Awesome work!

Loving the clean, industrial aesthetics and mechanical power switch.

I'm not sure if this has been covered before, but from the images I can find there only seems to be 1x DP, 2xUSB in the rear IO -- does (or how) this case cater for additional USB inputs (e.g. I would need to have Mouse, Keyboard, external USB DAC and possibly one external drive) without using a hub?
Currently there is a passthrough in the rear so you can connect through there. There is also a USB C port in the front IO. I've decided to keep with the current design as it should work for most and any with a little more planning. It is my intent to update the IO configuration in future designs, or even have purchasable upgrade configs. (The enclosure geometry that holds the ports is very simple for this reason). Hope this helps

Reactions: Fitchew

flacman

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 23, 2016
Currently there is a passthrough in the rear so you can connect through there. There is also a USB C port in the front IO. I've decided to keep with the current design as it should work for most and any with a little more planning. It is my intent to update the IO configuration in future designs, or even have purchasable upgrade configs. (The enclosure geometry that holds the ports is very simple for this reason). Hope this helps

Thanks for the clarification. Thought as much - though didn't realise there's a USB-C on the front too, that's great!

cennis

Average Stuffer
Jan 13, 2020
Whats the maximum height GPU that can be used with dual 280 rads + 3 thick fans and 1 slim?

I am asking because there are a few models such as Strix and FTW3 that are about 140mm tall + 25mm extra for the Waterblock terminal which sticks out above it.

TaylorChiller

Super Magical Detailer
Original poster
Oct 10, 2019
Whats the maximum height GPU that can be used with dual 280 rads + 3 thick fans and 1 slim?

I am asking because there are a few models such as Strix and FTW3 that are about 140mm tall + 25mm extra for the Waterblock terminal which sticks out above it.
Which brand waterblock are you using? From what i've gathered on my own measurements. Almost all GPUs will fit is this case, with their waterblock options. What changes are the compatible options for Pump/Res components.

cennis

Average Stuffer
Jan 13, 2020
I have the EK Strix 3080/3090 water block, it is 154mm tall, and plus another 12-13mm for the PCI-E finger, brings the total height to be 166mm+. It looks like it could fit given how far to the right the GPU riser is mounted, but would like to confirm if this is would fit in 2x 280mm rad config.

If that isn't clear enough, I encountered this issue in my current case, and had to get a custom terminal that is shorter than the stock.

Stock dimensions:

TaylorChiller

Super Magical Detailer
Original poster
Oct 10, 2019
I have the EK Strix 3080/3090 water block, it is 154mm tall, and plus another 12-13mm for the PCI-E finger, brings the total height to be 166mm+. It looks like it could fit given how far to the right the GPU riser is mounted, but would like to confirm if this is would fit in 2x 280mm rad config.

If that isn't clear enough, I encountered this issue in my current case, and had to get a custom terminal that is shorter than the stock.

Stock dimensions:
At first glance from these dimensions, it looks like this will fit. It could be tight (for the 2x280). I will need to take a closer look in CAD for me to say I'm 100% sure. WIth this large GPU you will need to use a pump/CPUblock combo (apogee, barrow, etc). Unfortunately the length and the height take up all available space for the pump brackets, however this would obviously not stop you from being creative. (also you shouldn't need to use that custom terminal you purchased :)

BRSxIgnition

Master of Cramming
Mar 15, 2020
Can't wait to see more of this case. My Meshlicious is a bit toasty and my parts aren't taking undervolts well, so I'd love to see how cool they can get in an AQ.

Reactions: TaylorChiller

cennis

Average Stuffer
Jan 13, 2020
Any options to have both the glass/perforated panels? or one of each?
Planning a dual 280mm rad set up so I might need at least one perforated panel right?

TaylorChiller

Super Magical Detailer
Original poster
Oct 10, 2019
Any options to have both the glass/perforated panels? or one of each?
Planning a dual 280mm rad set up so I might need at least one perforated panel right?
Yes you'd need at least one, you get a little better performance with two perf. The case is planned to come with one glass panel and one perf panel. At some point you will be able to purchase individual panels

TaylorChiller

Super Magical Detailer
Original poster
Oct 10, 2019

Stock dimensions:
Hey @cennis , I was able to take a closer look in CAD. It looks like the Strix card will fit just fine. The tightest spot will actually be the GPU power cable. There is about 23mm of space to accommodate. So 13mm might be tight but it should work for the cable. You will want to order/make your own custom length GPU cables for the powersupply, for the best fit.

cennis

Average Stuffer
Jan 13, 2020
Hey @cennis , I was able to take a closer look in CAD. It looks like the Strix card will fit just fine. The tightest spot will actually be the GPU power cable. There is about 23mm of space to accommodate. So 13mm might be tight but it should work for the cable. You will want to order/make your own custom length GPU cables for the powersupply, for the best fit.
Thank you! The card's power plugs are actually recessed down, lower than the top edge of the PCB (if you refer to my photo in the T1). This is different than the XC3 card that sffbuilds posted which goes right up to the top edge of the PCB. But of course, in an optimized case like this, custom cables were always part of the plan.

BRSxIgnition

Master of Cramming
Mar 15, 2020
Any new updates for us? I've been thinking of this case lately.

Edit: Seems that others are noticing it as well, but the restrictive rear IO situation seems to be a common complaint. Wouldn't it be better to just have a gap in the rear panel to pass cables through, rather than a dedicated module?

If it was simply a cable pass through area then more builds could be supported and it could even bring manufacturing costs down, a win-win.

Last edited:

TaylorChiller

Super Magical Detailer
Original poster
Oct 10, 2019
Any new updates for us? I've been thinking of this case lately.

Edit: Seems that others are noticing it as well, but the restrictive rear IO situation seems to be a common complaint. Wouldn't it be better to just have a gap in the rear panel to pass cables through, rather than a dedicated module?

If it was simply a cable pass through area then more builds could be supported and it could even bring manufacturing costs down, a win-win.
Hey @BRSxIgnition I taken the feedback on the rear IO in consideration. Over time it is a topic of question because the design for is has changed/improved moving forward. There is in fact a pass through on this rear IO part so people that need the build freedom have it.

You are right about manufacturing costs. While i've been test building in various samples over the months I've noticed that there is a huge benefit to have a ready accessible port for video and at least two standard USB ports. And, having an adequately sized passthrough for additional cables should be sufficient for those that need it. Hopefully this answers your concerns. Here is a picture of the rear IO design currently. There is still windows to make adjustments where needed. Please let me know what you all think.

(please excuse the weird colors in CAD, this should still show a good representation. I would get a picture of the sample I have built right now, but it is not in front of me at the moment).

(Update: I've also received updated samples for small parts from the factory and we are fine tuning certain parts for production and scheduling, so I should have a more specific pre-order date coming soon).

Screen Shot 2021-09-15 at 12.53.39 PM.png

BRSxIgnition

Master of Cramming
Mar 15, 2020
You are right about manufacturing costs. While i've been test building in various samples over the months I've noticed that there is a huge benefit to have a ready accessible port for video and at least two standard USB ports. And, having an adequately sized passthrough for additional cables should be sufficient for those that need it. Hopefully this answers your concerns. Here is a picture of the rear IO design currently. There is still windows to make adjustments where needed. Please let me know what you all think.

Thanks for the reply! I think this is definitely an improvement compared to an all-covered design, and I get you want things to look nice, but I still believe it is causing more issues than it is solving.

If you simply had a passthrough window at the back like the Meshlicious and SV540, you'd be able to cover all scenarios, and only those constantly unplugging and replugging items to the back of the case (the minority) would be affected.

The only item I'd have a port for at the back is power, the rest should be fine to work through motherboard and front IO, in my opinion. Anything more just introduces points of failure and ports that become obselete as technology improves.

This isn't a laptop that's constantly being plugged into new displays/devices. For most, a device that is 20L and this weight remains stationary on a desk.

TL;DR: IMO, you should save yourself and everyone the headache and costs and leave the back gap fully open with an AC Cable extention only.

robojim

Airflow Optimizer
Jun 18, 2020
Thanks for the reply! I think this is definitely an improvement compared to an all-covered design, and I get you want things to look nice, but I still believe it is causing more issues than it is solving.

If you simply had a passthrough window at the back like the Meshlicious and SV540, you'd be able to cover all scenarios, and only those constantly unplugging and replugging items to the back of the case (the minority) would be affected.

The only item I'd have a port for at the back is power, the rest should be fine to work through motherboard and front IO, in my opinion. Anything more just introduces points of failure and ports that become obselete as technology improves.

This isn't a laptop that's constantly being plugged into new displays/devices. For most, a device that is 20L and this weight remains stationary on a desk.

TL;DR: IMO, you should save yourself and everyone the headache and costs and leave the back gap fully open with an AC Cable extention only.
I also think it takes the headache out of making sure your HDMI or DP passthrough doesn't have to be updated to a newer spec like HDMI2.1 or DP2.0. I don't mind as much for USB/Ethernet. Maybe you could create an accessory for those that want it but I think it would be a pain to stock and produce.