Completed SLATE-CASE AQ >>Status Update - Finalizing Order Fulfillments!

Fitchew

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 2, 2019
Preorder date: Beginning - mid January.

Manufacturing/Production: Starts between end January and/or end of February, (1-3 month grace period to finish, first production round always takes longer in case of tooling alterations or tolerance changes).

Shipping: As late as April - May.
This is fine for me! In fact, it's even better if you can give us a deadline ahead of time. At least I can plan my budget a little better.
I am not upset by this delay at all. I believe that it's better to take all the factors into account in advance and get down to business than to face the problem later.

Matteomora

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Jul 19, 2021
Hey everyone,

Sorry for the late update this week.

@Matteomora Yes we are nearing a decision. I'm looking into what will be the best decision for most people.

I know we have been pushing the suggested date further ahead for a while now. This has many reasons. Earlier this year we had a goal to open pre-orders in August, this didn't happen because we needed more time to solve some details and because we have been looking at how the production and shipping industry is doing and trying to make a solid decision for that as well.

As for the timeline we are looking at currently: (subject to change based on factory's schedule and capacity, economy, and user/market feedback)

Preorder date: Beginning - mid January.

Manufacturing/Production: Starts between end January and/or end of February, (1-3 month grace period to finish, first production round always takes longer in case of tooling alterations or tolerance changes).

Shipping: As late as April - May.

(We theoretically could start preorders in a few weeks from now, however it is a higher risk for us and for time. It is also competing with users' expectations for the Holidays and we need to be clear so everyone is on the same page).

How do you all feel about these dates? I know this is quite a bit later than our original goals, but we want to have a strong release.

Looking forward to your feedback! Thanks
Thank! Hope to be able to order the case in January, thanks for the reply

Reactions: TaylorChiller

TaylorChiller

Super Magical Detailer
Original poster
Oct 10, 2019
Hey @TaylorChiller is there any news?
Yes, I'll have news closer to the new year. Lots of items to get done at the end of this year. My sincere apologies for all of you who are waiting and wondering.
Most of what I'm doing right now is managing some of the business side of things while I validate finishes with the factory. The next post I make with be a final timeline schedule for the first release, including the final first pre-order date.

Best regards,

Taylor

htko89

Trash Compacter
Nov 22, 2017
I keep checking back at this forum post for latest info, because I'm really excited about the design. Honestly I think it deserves much more attention - how do you feel about the current audience size / waitlist size? Is it too much to handle production wise or is there room to grow?

I think this case is much better than any of the big case releases, like winter one, louqe, thorzone, etc. We should make more a buzz, release more prototype / prod sample photos. Have a influencer / youtuber sample release plan, etc etc.

But that's just me thinking big lol. I just want the success of this project and popularize the design. If this is past the scope of your project / comfort, don't mind me.

coby

Chassis Packer
Aug 16, 2021
So the case will only have a single hdmi port in the io section?

Last edited:

Pyotr

Caliper Novice
Oct 2, 2020
Will the removable section at the back have a stl released for those who wish to make non standard layouts? E. G. Thunderbolt output

XNine

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jan 11, 2022
Gotta say, this thing rotated 90 degrees checks off all my boxes (accomodates a good size rad, while keeping things fairly small). Only concern with that is front I'O not being accessible. If that can be moved to the top of the case (when it's laying horizontal) you've got yourself a sale.

Reactions: TaylorChiller

TaylorChiller

Super Magical Detailer
Original poster
Oct 10, 2019
Gotta say, this thing rotated 90 degrees checks off all my boxes (accomodates a good size rad, while keeping things fairly small). Only concern with that is front I'O not being accessible. If that can be moved to the top of the case (when it's laying horizontal) you've got yourself a sale.
You're in luck, ;)

• Wow
Reactions: XNine and Alur

TaylorChiller

Super Magical Detailer
Original poster
Oct 10, 2019
Hey Everyone!

Hope you had a great weekend. Just posting this here to remind you to refer to the initial post on this thread. Below is a summary of the important timeline goals and preorder date:

Preorder date: ->March 15th<-
Production Cycle goal: March 25th - May 25th
Start Ship date goal: June 1st (this can vary a lot due to supply challenges everywhere, container shipments can be months out, but because this will be a small initial batch I think we will be okay).

I will be updating the website and focusing on some marketing between now and when preorders open. If you feel there is a way you can contribute you can DM :)

Note: there will be about a week grace period from March 15th to push sales to meet our production quote costs. I feel pretty confident we will do well considering this is a small batch to get everything going.

Best,

Protolyth Team

BRSxIgnition

Master of Cramming
Mar 15, 2020
Definitely like the new grommet on the rear, but did we ever get that survey regarding the ports on the back of the case?

Still firmly of the mind that you should save the cost and only provide a wide grommet + power port on the back of the case.

No USB Ports. No AV Ports. Nothing else except a wide, grommeted cut out for the user's own cables.

Otherwise you're just adding cost and complexity to the case for minimal (if any) payoff and eventual obsolescence as those ports become dated.

At the very least, that's my opinion - though a survey may prove it's also the popular one as well.

Last edited:

TaylorChiller

Super Magical Detailer
Original poster
Oct 10, 2019
Definitely like the new grommet on the rear, but did we ever get that survey regarding the ports on the back of the case?

Still firmly of the mind that you should save the cost and only provide a wide grommet + power port on the back of the case.

No USB Ports. No AV Ports. Nothing else except a wide, grommeted cut out for the user's own cables.

Otherwise you're just adding cost and complexity to the case for minimal (if any) payoff and eventual obsolescence as those ports become dated.

At the very least, that's my opinion - though a survey may prove it's also the popular one as well.
Hey @BRSxIgnition ,

You're concerns were and still are in process. I have spent a lot of time testing and building with this case, and have received user feedback from other builders as well. The data I have suggests that keeping the current design is, in most of its meaning, more beneficial in general. You are definitely right about ports going out of date. A strong example of this is the "currently provided" DP extension cable. It is DP 1.4 which is still used by the vast majority. I would make this DP 2.0 except there are no DP 2.0 extension/angled cables/adapters. At some point there will be and they can be made in the geometry that fits the current design.

The extension cable for the two USB 3.0 ports are still of high value, and are interacted with the most of any. These represent what you would normally see as a standard on many cases.

Part of the story of this is to reduce the amount of interaction to the main I/O. To some it is better to have just a through port, like yourself, which is why I've been able to consolidate even more space to make the current through hole much larger. One thing I may have not been clear enough on is that the geometry for this consolidated I/O housing is designed to be easily updatable/replaceable/changeable/3dprintable. (One thing to note is, because of the slim design on this section, some DP cables will not fit because the over-mold/cap geometry for the connectors vary in length. There is about 2in of space, similar to some other top/bottom oriented cases but on the tighter side; which is part of the reason to include a DP extension or supply the user with an angled adapter to ensure wider cable compatibility).

Still theres the topic of gathering more data. I want to and will still do this as it has been on my mind as part of the first things to do before March.

Designs can be improved almost indefinitely. This could be a topic of debate for quite some time. My goal is at least to provide a quality product at a reasonable time period. I'll do my best to to include this in the survey I'm planning to send out this week and I'll keep all of you updated.

Thanks for your support

Best,

Taylor

TaylorChiller

Super Magical Detailer
Original poster
Oct 10, 2019

@BRSxIgnition

Also one solution, I have thought could be a good compromise between the two votes, is to remove the DP extension and keep the USB 3.0 ports to free up most of the space for a throughhole. This way most get the even larger throughhole while the USB ports remain as standard. Instead of the DP extension I can include a DP angle adapter which would be cheaper anyway while doing the same thing essentially.

Thoughts?