Completed SLATE-CASE AQ >>Status Update - Finalizing Order Fulfillments!

Axwell

What's an ITX?
New User
Nov 30, 2020
@TaylorChiller I just made an account just to ask about this case. Have been lurking around since the first post but now it's been a while since the last update. How is the case progressing? Any speculation about a release date?

TaylorChiller

Super Magical Detailer
Original poster
Oct 10, 2019
@TaylorChiller I just made an account just to ask about this case. Have been lurking around since the first post but now it's been a while since the last update. How is the case progressing? Any speculation about a release date?
Hey thanks for reaching out! I do appreciate it. Things slowed down here and they have a lot to do with our current economy. I still have plans/hopes to release this case first half of next year. I've been doing my best to work with various factories for a pricing that will encourage what I feel people will pay for the design I've made. Factories do many things to to make sure a client is committed to them and it has direct effects to costs. It's been on my mind lately to start producing more content at least to let all of you know that I'm here and it's still in progress. Hope you can be patient.

jaeparku

Cable-Tie Ninja
Oct 19, 2018
Just a small feedback - the 15 L for Air sounds cool, but for 15 L, I am surprised it doesn't accomodate a much larger CPU cooler (130 mm+) and a much more flexible GPU - 3 slot / 315 mm length +

I would expect 11 - 12 L for what it currently offers. Just my 2 cents.

Reactions: TaylorChiller

TaylorChiller

Super Magical Detailer
Original poster
Oct 10, 2019
Just a small feedback - the 15 L for Air sounds cool, but for 15 L, I am surprised it doesn't accomodate a much larger CPU cooler (130 mm+) and a much more flexible GPU - 3 slot / 315 mm length +

Hey @jaeparku , yes you're right. Based on current designs you could get that in 11-12L. Although there is one aspect to this design that functionally needs that space. In earlier posts I described this case to be more aesthetically oriented. You'll notice that the I/O is on the bottom, this requires use of about 2.2L. it's the cost of making the cables less crowded. For the cooling, I've made the width 180mm. Generally you can do 170. I wanted to make a design that didn't require the use of mesh on the sides. Just the front and back for more linear airflow. This also takes a little bit more. Without these features it would be around 11-12L. Thanks for your feedback. I've considered carrying the same aesthetics to a future design that would be even smaller :)

JayHotspur3

What's an ITX?
New User
Dec 15, 2020
Hey @TaylorChiller ! After lurking around various forums for a long time I literally made an account just to express how amazing the concept for this case is and how appreciative we all are for your accessibility on this forum and dedication to the project. Really interested in the Air version but because there have been so many changes I'm a little confused about the materials being used.

Will the case be constructed of aluminium or sheet metal? Also will the front/back panels be made of metal (steel?) as well or mesh or plastic? Finally will there be an option for a full front panel with no power button cut out (maybe we could locate the switch on the back) for those of us that prefer the most minimal look? I'd be willing (and most likely many others here as well) for an aluminium option even it increases costs in order to guarantee quality and premium feel.

Thanks in advance for any insight you can provide!

TaylorChiller

Super Magical Detailer
Original poster
Oct 10, 2019
Hey everyone, sorry for the delay. Things have been stressful lately. I need to keep you all updated more often. It's been a reoccurring hurdle to work with factories as I've mentioned before and seeing other cases being released with similar designs is interesting since it validates our progress, however it does put even more pressure on the development of this project.

Currently I'm working with two different factories to get the best price I can for everyone. I make sure to answer your questions in the next couple days. As always thank you for your support and patience!

TaylorChiller

Super Magical Detailer
Original poster
Oct 10, 2019

Wow, this looks a lot like your case and even has the bottom oriented I/O. It's just ugly lol.
Yup, I knew things like this were going to happen if Im not able to hit a certain schedule. You can also see the IO looks like it is also removable and swappable like I wanted too. I think we are still in a nice spot though, I just need to make sure the design is proportional to the price people will need to pay. Large companies typically can get lower prices simply because they can shove more money at the front of the production process.

TaylorChiller

Super Magical Detailer
Original poster
Oct 10, 2019
Hey @TaylorChiller ! After lurking around various forums for a long time I literally made an account just to express how amazing the concept for this case is and how appreciative we all are for your accessibility on this forum and dedication to the project. Really interested in the Air version but because there have been so many changes I'm a little confused about the materials being used.

Will the case be constructed of aluminium or sheet metal? Also will the front/back panels be made of metal (steel?) as well or mesh or plastic? Finally will there be an option for a full front panel with no power button cut out (maybe we could locate the switch on the back) for those of us that prefer the most minimal look? I'd be willing (and most likely many others here as well) for an aluminium option even it increases costs in order to guarantee quality and premium feel.

Thanks in advance for any insight you can provide!
Hey thanks for reaching out! The design is a mix of aluminum, sheet metal, and a few plastic parts. Do not fret over the plastic though! Making a quality plastic part has a lot to do with the geometry and surface finish. In this case the front panels are plastic, and they have good wall thicknesses and some ribs to ensure rigidity, and since it is a simple tooling the surface finish will also be easy to get right.

Reactions: NocelCrown

TaylorChiller

Super Magical Detailer
Original poster
Oct 10, 2019
Okay Everyone,

I know its been a long time since I've posted here. I have some good information to digest with all of you and I hope we can get things rolling soon. There have been quite a few similar computer cases that have released, since I started this feedback thread for this case, that indirectly compete with this project, however there are still a lot of good attributes to this design that I feel differentiate in a good way. With that said, I need to consult with you about business model structure as it will directly affect how and when you will be able to order these, and at what price. Please let me know what you think on the following two Business Models:

--Artisan Style--​

-Cost: $300-400 USD
-Timeline: fast production start, must be pre-ordered, delivery within 1-2 months.

Pros:
-Can place order immediately start of business date.
-Supports low order quantities.
-Support for 1 on 1 computer build feedback guidance.
-Supports more customizable features; e.g. custom CNC grill patterns in aluminum caps or panels for additional air flow or build design (small time charge), custom anodization colors (applicable charge).
-Customer can more easily choose between glass panels and/or aluminum panels.
-Overall an interesting brand story, feels more special.
-Inspection more emotionally invested.
-Both AQ and AIR sizes will be on sale at the same time.

Cons:
-Maintains a static order-to-delivery timeline.
-Costs more for product.
-limited quantities, favors those who have been following and keeping updated through a sign-up and wait-list.
-International shipping may be limited or increase cost more dramatically.

--Mass Production Style--​

-Cost: $275-300 USD
-Timeline: slow production start (3-6 months), initial pre-orders then ordered from inventory, delivery 4-6 months at start of business then 1-2 weeks delivery based on inventory.

Pros:
-Maintains the traditional production shipment style.
-All components are manufactured and produced in the same factory.
-Once the business and inventory is established people can order and product will ship (after pre-order phase).
-Certain parts, e.g. power cables and riser cables, are more easily maintained to proper length and overmolded end geometry (not that much of a plus TBH).
-Lower product cost.

Cons:
-Less options.
-Different sizes, AQ vs AIR, would have separate phases meaning that some that want the smaller footprint would have to wait longer for it to be released.
-More influenced by shipping delays and complications from international trade politics and logistics.
-Requires larger minimum quantity and larger initial cost for tooling, in other words, needs more people in pre-order phase which increases risk.

*(please note that these are based on estimates from the information I've gathered with factories and research I've done doing domestic production and are subject to change a little).
*(also, prices may or may not decrease based on the supply line of materials in our current economic state).

--Some Design Updates--​

-Fixed some clearance issues with the power cable and routing.
-Small adjustments to the rail system geometry to ensure strong lock.
-Made a size profile adjustment, more wide, to the front and rear I/O components to allow more room for passthrough cables, (like if someone wants to use 2 or 3 monitors it is now easier, or an ethernet cable), and possible more USB ports on rear I/O. This also integrates better for those who choose to turn the case 90 degrees no a non-tower case placement by allowing the user to mount the rear I/O to the aluminum cap so cables stay nice and cleanly routed.
-Also I'm working on some interesting concept content that I think you all will like, involves a build made with high strength frosted clear epoxy for the aluminum parts. Going to make some renders at some point so you guys can see what I'm thinking.

I hope all of you are doing well, especially with all the crazy going on in the world. Please let me know what you think as it will directly affect how we going about getting this computer case to production. We need to made a decision in the coming weeks. Hopefully by mid April or before.

Best,

Taylor Hill

TaylorChiller

Super Magical Detailer
Original poster
Oct 10, 2019

@jaeparku Hey so you are right in certain circumstances. This case focuses more on aesthetics and overall story telling while still able to hit under 20L. It really just depends on the layout and if you have your motherboard facing in a traditional direction or if it has the ports facing down or up. The Phanteks evolve shift for example has the I/O upward and takes up 26L+. This takes up some geometry/volume to cover up. If I changed this design to a traditional motherboard orientation we could shave 2L off the visual volume which then matches your numbers more adequately. I've considered working on other computer case ideas at another point more closely based on your measurements. Hope this helps.

Reactions: jaeparku