Completed SLATE-CASE AQ >>Status Update - Finalizing Order Fulfillments!

lawney

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 28, 2018
I love the idea of the clean rear panel with the extension ports at the bottom, really makes it seem like a console or an appliance. The case reminds me of Apple's MacPro with the airflow and consolidated i/o. I like it a lot, though I don't really care for glass side panels or the key switch pwr button; they both dress it down, imo. Still a super cool project, and I'd definitely consider it.

Reactions: TaylorChiller

bf3magic

What's an ITX?
New User
Apr 2, 2021
For the AQ version reminds me of the Corsair One. What if we narrow the case down to only allow two slim TX240 rads on the sides, but add a single exhaust fan on the top of the case? I know this would be a pretty big structural change but I always thought case ideas like this was cool.

Fitchew

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 2, 2019
I would like to check in this thread, as I have been following the progress of this case for a long time. I want to cast my vote for
Mass Production Style, because after all the price matters more for many of us. In addition, the rejection of the benefits of Artisan Style is not so significant, as the appearance, style, engineering and materials remain at a very high level. The biggest loss from choosing Mass Production Style is waiting time. But the lower the price for a quality product, the higher the demand, and therefore the more opportunities for production.
I am targeting the SLATE AQ version.

By the way, I wanted to ask if there are any visual or engineering improvements to the airflow of the case? In your Instagram I saw a visualization with a 3d texture mesh panel. Very fresh as for me

MOD EDIT: Multi posts merged. Please use the "Edit" button in the future to avoid multi posting ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

TaylorChiller

Super Magical Detailer
Original poster
Oct 10, 2019
I would like to check in this thread, as I have been following the progress of this case for a long time. I want to cast my vote for
Mass Production Style, because after all the price matters more for many of us. In addition, the rejection of the benefits of Artisan Style is not so significant, as the appearance, style, engineering and materials remain at a very high level. The biggest loss from choosing Mass Production Style is waiting time. But the lower the price for a quality product, the higher the demand, and therefore the more opportunities for production.
I am targeting the SLATE AQ version.

By the way, I wanted to ask if there are any visual or engineering improvements to the airflow of the case? In your Instagram I saw a visualization with a 3d texture mesh panel. Very fresh as for me

MOD EDIT: Multi posts merged. Please use the "Edit" button in the future to avoid multi posting ;)
@Fitchew Hey thanks for the input. That is very valid concerning the price structure. I'm going to make a big update post with more details on where I have come to for the business model. The issue right now is that, many of you have been waiting for quite a long time for this project, and, I want to reward that by taking a path that reaches production sooner while still maintaining quality.

With that said, and because I need to regain some momentum, I've decided to take a less risk approach. I will be doing a "kickoff" presale and inventory stock. This will be at low MOQ. I've found a path that we can do this while still securing a competitive price; $225 - $275. If things go well during this initial phase, we will then move toward mass production.

Give me a few days and I will have a website up and running where those of you can signup on a waitlist/newsletter while we finalize factory sample validation.

Included in the big update: engineering and design changes, component compatibility list, business structure, and other details. (I'll be changing the initial thread post for this)

Enamel_32

Cable Smoosher
Jan 1, 2020
Very cool! Do I see some options laid out already based on your pics?
  1. Colors: silver and space gray?
  2. Is mesh out of the picture?

Last edited:
Reactions: sunefred

TaylorChiller

Super Magical Detailer
Original poster
Oct 10, 2019
Apologies for the delayed response, I've been working very hard to get refinements done with the factory.

@Fitchew Hey! Yes you will can fit a MDTX mobo, however, since most people will be using ITX I favored an accommodation in the design, however small. It is a flange that helps set the PCIE riser cable and improves rigidity for the motherboard bracket. This flange, as is, would get in the way of a MDTX, but doing a small tool free mod you can then fit MDTX. This was one of those decisions I made based on highest user case. (The mod is simply pressing down the flange. It has no cosmetic down side, and will still keep it rigid). As far as Russia shipping, I'm hoping it is a yes. For the first phase of release shipping may be more expensive though, but you should still get a discounted rate. I'll keep you all updated on shipping.

@Enamel_32 Plan is to release in Natural Silver and Dark Grey (some say space grey). For Mesh, it is not out of the picture, but is intended as a future release. It really depends on the success of these first phases.

@ShaggyKris The is no passthrough for DP. It is an extension cable similar to the Meshilicious, except more cleanly implemented. It basically reroutes the port to the new consolodated I/O placement on the rear bottom. If you wish to use a second or third monitor you would use the included passthrough hole on the same panel.

Hope this helps!

Taylor

Reactions: Fitchew

TaylorChiller

Super Magical Detailer
Original poster
Oct 10, 2019
@ShaggyKris Also about he DP version. 2.0 is much more expensive. We may be supplying with 1.4 for now and later you can purchase a 2.0 cable that can be swapped with the original. I'll keep you all updated

Fitchew

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 2, 2019
@TaylorChiller Thanks for the answer. I'm not sure that I understand about the flange. I think it would be easier to show on a photo or 3D model what is meant. Well just in case I will clarify what exactly in my case motherboard will be used - Asus x570 Crosshair VIII Impact. I also wanted to ask if someone from the SFF community already testing the case, bloggers or youtubers?

@ShaggyKris The is no passthrough for DP. It is an extension cable similar to the Meshilicious, except more cleanly implemented. It basically reroutes the port to the new consolodated I/O placement on the rear bottom. If you wish to use a second or third monitor you would use the included passthrough hole on the same panel.
Something like this? https://aliexpress.ru/item/4000308855899.html

Last edited:

TaylorChiller

Super Magical Detailer
Original poster
Oct 10, 2019
@TaylorChiller Thanks for the answer. I'm not sure that I understand about the flange. I think it would be easier to show on a photo or 3D model what is meant. Well just in case I will clarify what exactly in my case motherboard will be used - Asus x570 Crosshair VIII Impact. I also wanted to ask if someone from the SFF community already testing the case, bloggers or youtubers?

Something like this? https://aliexpress.ru/item/4000308855899.html
I'll send you a picture of the flange I am talking about.

Currently there are 3 samples from the factory in testing. One of them is being tested by an influencer from Instagram @sffbuild. He has mostly done a couple teaser reels while playing around with the case features. Expect more content to come soon.

I also plan to reach out to a few more influencers as we come closer to pre-ordering date.

Also some news, I've set an initial pre-order date goal for August 15th 2021. If things work smoothly this should be very attainable. The best thing any of you can do that are interested is to share this thread content, my instagram, and protolyth.com to anyone who you think would be interested. I will be amping up marketing in the coming couple weeks and plan to do some showcasing videos with popular builds.

(as for that DP connector cable you showed me: the DP cable in this case is overmolded and sealed, high quality; not modular like the one you referenced form aliexpress).

Reactions: Fitchew

Fitchew

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 2, 2019
I'll send you a picture of the flange I am talking about.

Currently there are 3 samples from the factory in testing. One of them is being tested by an influencer from Instagram @sffbuild. He has mostly done a couple teaser reels while playing around with the case features. Expect more content to come soon.

I also plan to reach out to a few more influencers as we come closer to pre-ordering date.

Also some news, I've set an initial pre-order date goal for August 15th 2021. If things work smoothly this should be very attainable. The best thing any of you can do that are interested is to share this thread content, my instagram, and protolyth.com to anyone who you think would be interested. I will be amping up marketing in the coming couple weeks and plan to do some showcasing videos with popular builds.

(as for that DP connector cable you showed me: the DP cable in this case is overmolded and sealed, high quality; not modular like the one you referenced form aliexpress).
It would be nice to see updated renders or a few photos and videos on your Instagram or here. I will definitely share the information with sff enthusiasts on the Russian-speaking forum.

TaylorChiller

Super Magical Detailer
Original poster
Oct 10, 2019
It would be nice to see updated renders or a few photos and videos on your Instagram or here. I will definitely share the information with sff enthusiasts on the Russian-speaking forum.
Promotional video coming soon, air cool builds and watercool. Also, thank you for reaching out about the DTX support. I went back to do some testing and I will be making small adjustments to help with that :)

BRSxIgnition

Master of Cramming
Mar 15, 2020
I wish the AQ were closer to 16-17 L but I realise the dual rads need the extra room. Having a second set of fans will probably help temps a lot, too.

Keeping my eyes out for the preorder.

Fitchew

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 2, 2019
Somebody got their hands on the case and built in it. Looks dense AF
sffbuild Instagram owner.

I want to see the details of the assembly in this case so much and even more to get my own experience with this case.

@TaylorChiller i wanted to ask, if it's possible to insert my rx 6900 xt red devil in this case? I see that there shouldn't be any problems with clearance, but this card has a very thick backplate, so I wanted to make sure. I can give you photos and sizes if you want.

Last edited: