Completed SLATE-CASE AQ >>Status Update - Finalizing Order Fulfillments!

TaylorChiller

Super Magical Detailer
Original poster
Oct 10, 2019
@thecatar Hey! The gpu is fixed to the motherboard bracket. I did notice the flowthrough design on the new RTX cards. I don't think this will be an issue since, serendipitous, I designed the cable management for the psu to go between the PSU and GPU so there is space there that air can travel. All I have to do is put perforations on that part of the bracket and the air should be able to pass freely. It needs to be tested though just to make sure. If it does become an issue, making the gpu PCIE mount adjustable is possible. It just adds more parts and screws.

Reactions: thecatar

TaylorChiller

Super Magical Detailer
Original poster
Oct 10, 2019
@jaeparku Hey! Yes I'm hoping it will. Honestly my initial plans were to release it this year. As we all know this year has been quite interesting and unforeseen things have prevented me from completing that schedule. On the plus side, because my schedule has changed, there has been more room for design improvements I think will make up for it. Thanks for asking.

TaylorChiller

Super Magical Detailer
Original poster
Oct 10, 2019
@Calamari Hey, sorry for the late reply. So I've been validating dimensions and spacing for different pump/block combos that are out there. So far all of them will be supported for this case (including the apogee).

Vacceo

Average Stuffer
Mar 17, 2020
Hey Everyone,
I know this belated. It's because I've been working with a couple different factories with this new design. There are a few hurdles to overcome as this project moves forward. Specifically it's a process of simplifying and refining the design.
I left you guys off at what application I'll be using for accommodating various thickness of gpus. The solution I've decided to go with is to incorporate a slot that can allow the user to move the motherboard bracket side to side by about 10-12mm. This would allow gpu thickness up to 3 slot at the cost of cpu clearance. Especially with the new nvidia gpus this will be very nice.
Also, there will be an optional lower plate swap one can purchase to change the default dual chamber layout to a traditional layout with the gpu connected directly to the motherboard. This will give a lot more options for customization and cooling. After looking at the spacing for this trad layout for the 15.4 L version, it would be possible to use a 280mm rad in the trad layout if you use a pump/block combo. (This is still up for testing and hopefully I can get these benchmarks to all of you soon).
@CarbonPark , as for the rear IO, a lot of people have been asking about this. The end intent is to provide different IO plate options, however the default IO plate will likely have additional through holes for users that need more usb slots and audio etc.
With the traditional configuration, will it be still possible to use dual slim (and slim fans) 240 rads with a DTX board? Aesthetically the sandwiched configuration has some extra bling as you can get rgb shining on both sides, but if this configuration adds further functionality and beefier cooling, sounds like a completely reasonable tradeoff.

Reactions: TaylorChiller

TaylorChiller

Super Magical Detailer
Original poster
Oct 10, 2019
HAHAHa, no there is no list right now. You all are funny. I think the Ampere cards should perform well in this case considering there is overall a good amount of air flow. Need to get my hands on one to test it though. They sold out in miliseconds :(

@Vacceo Also, i'm still working out small details for the trad layout. I think the dual rad will work on the trad layout in the AQ size. You will need to use a pump/block combo on the cpu though. As for DTX i need to finish checking measurements.

Last edited:
Reactions: thecatar

Sixtyfo

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Sep 22, 2020
Long time lurker. Registered just to post here.

Love the design! One thing I am wondering is if there is any merit to configuring dual radiators with only 2 fans pushing air through the case a'la servers, mac pro etc. Would doing this with 2x 30mm 280 rads and 25mm fans work better than using 4x 15mm thick fans?

TaylorChiller

Super Magical Detailer
Original poster
Oct 10, 2019
@Sixtyfo , Having air being pulled through one rad would require a tight seal around the fanless rad and seals throughout the case. Take the Corsair ONE for example. It uses one large fan at the top and pulls air through two slim rads. Theres gasketing throughout the whole case.
For the SLATE case, since it does not come tightly gasketed like most cases, 4 15mm fans would perform better (or use one thick radiator). I"m not saying it wouldn't work just maybe not as good without proper gasketing.

TaylorChiller

Super Magical Detailer
Original poster
Oct 10, 2019
Hey so just to keep everyone in the loop about this project:

I've made a lot of small changes - clearance changes - part interface changes - and part consolidations. After feedback from the factory with pricing, I've decided to consolidate the four CNC aluminum columns into 2 high quality sheet metal parts instead. This will dramatically cut down costs and eliminates four installations steps and should be easier for the user. Initially I wanted to do the CNC columns because they are aesthetically pleasing and reduces mold costs, but since I've found more budget room for molding I decided for the sheet metal for the user's sake.

I'll be updated the main post with refinement information and timeline stuff soon. Its been a little frustrating lately with the factories. I have a contact in China but he has become suddenly busy with other projects that have order quantities thousands more than this project. I have other factory options as well and will be getting feedback from them soon.

Part of the reason you all may not see as much content being presented for this project is because I've been heavily focused on validating the business costs ( and doing my main job). I could be marketing and sharing more info with people and I'm going to be doing more of that as we get more budget stuff figured out. If any of you have any feedback on setting up ways to get more people involved and interested on this project I'm all ears. There are some from Instagram that are following. I'd like to get some initial samples made and send out to a few influencers as we get closer to marketing.