Completed SLATE-CASE AQ >>Status Update - Finalizing Order Fulfillments!

No Hands 55

Chassis Packer
Feb 11, 2020
i would look into using Box Navy switches for the power button. Contact Novel Keys maybe? Its the biggest click of any switch out there and has a really strong force to actuate. would make a perfect power switch imo.

there is also a huge market for mechanical keyboard artisans to be used as power switches here

TaylorChiller

Super Magical Detailer
Original poster
Oct 10, 2019
Thanks for the detailed response! My GPU was advertised as 2.5-slot GPU in the spec sheet but really it's more like 2.8-2.9-slot with its chonky 57mm thickness (Palit Super Jetstream). Massive heatsink and fan kept the card cool but it's a headache finding a good SFF case without changing the GPU lol. Perhaps a movable spine to choose between 2-slot or 3-slot GPU? ?

Also I realised I never asked this: the bottom 'platform' whereby you put the front and back IO on, what is the inner construction like for it? Thinking if it is spacious enough I can always fit storage drives there as well. Or you could go the other way around: if currently you are only using small area of that platform, you could always reduce the size of the case further by moving the IO connectors on the main chamber instead of having a dedicated platform for it.
The lower chamber is almost necessary atm for access to the motherboard, there is always room for improvement in future designs and different versions/sizes of this case as a product line.

TaylorChiller

Super Magical Detailer
Original poster
Oct 10, 2019
Hey Everyone! It's has been a crazy couple months so far. I have most the parts I need to make another case, this time with air cooling. At the current time sourcing for manufacturing has been a huge hurdle since the covid situation. Factories in China are becoming very picky. The quote I've received from the first factory is not accurate to an honest/realistic quotation. We will communicate with them about certain areas to improve manufacturing process. Will have to widen search for factory sourcing. It's really just the situation we are in right now. With so many companies on hold from the US right now some Chinese factories are having to close doors and others are only wanting business with very high MOQ numbers. This is still considered a niche product area, but we will get through this. I'm looking into doing local sourcing and maybe even a "made to order model." This could drive the cost of the product up a bit but could be better for the long term. What do you all think? How many of you would be willing to do "made to order" or pay a bit more for locally manufactured parts?

nulio

Trash Compacter
Jan 30, 2020
The case is too big for me so any feedback I'd give about that wouldn't be great feedback.

What about updating the first post with the new photos/designs and all relevant information? Possibly interested people will look to the first post and might not read all thread and miss something.

Max Fischer

Cable Smoosher
Mar 22, 2020
What do you all think? How many of you would be willing to do "made to order" or pay a bit more for locally manufactured parts?

Short answer: yes. As long as the quality is there, I absolutely have no problem with paying more. But, there is always a price that is too high, and for me, it's gotta be less than a ghost.

Qzrx

Buried under radiators
Dec 29, 2019
Hey Everyone! It's has been a crazy couple months so far. I have most the parts I need to make another case, this time with air cooling. At the current time sourcing for manufacturing has been a huge hurdle since the covid situation. Factories in China are becoming very picky. The quote I've received from the first factory is not accurate to an honest/realistic quotation. We will communicate with them about certain areas to improve manufacturing process. Will have to widen search for factory sourcing. It's really just the situation we are in right now. With so many companies on hold from the US right now some Chinese factories are having to close doors and others are only wanting business with very high MOQ numbers. This is still considered a niche product area, but we will get through this. I'm looking into doing local sourcing and maybe even a "made to order model." This could drive the cost of the product up a bit but could be better for the long term. What do you all think? How many of you would be willing to do "made to order" or pay a bit more for locally manufactured parts?

I love the idea of “made to order” and am more than willing to pay for it if the aesthetics are there.

Reactions: smik

TaylorChiller

Super Magical Detailer
Original poster
Oct 10, 2019
The case is too big for me so any feedback I'd give about that wouldn't be great feedback.

What about updating the first post with the new photos/designs and all relevant information? Possibly interested people will look to the first post and might not read all thread and miss something.
Hey @nulio ,
Any feedback is great feedback! Thanks for giving it. I already have plans to make a smaller one with same aesthetics so don't go too far! And yes your right I'll update the first page.

smik

Cable Smoosher
Mar 29, 2020
This looks really nice, I hope you figure out the logistics in these crazy times ?
Local sourcing is always a good thing if it doesn't push your costs over 200%...

280mm rad, room for a real pump, two glass sides; this is basically everything I've been looking for.

Can you share some pictures of the bottom of your prototype so we can see the mobo cable routing?

Reactions: TaylorChiller

JDragon

Average Stuffer
Aug 22, 2018
Willing to pay high end keyboard prices for a high end case to match, $500ish. A perfectly designed case with Apple-quality anodization, complex CNC manufacturing, no exposed screws, silence and cooling optimization, etc. would be worth $1K+ to me.

Walderstorn

Average Stuffer
Apr 29, 2018
I feel more comfortable with 300 ish, at most, for a base model...everything else should be charged separately (like custom colors, special screws, mounts, other accessories). That's more realistic for me and that's the most i have payed.

Maniac

Average Stuffer
Oct 18, 2018
I would not have any issues with "made-to-order", but please keep in mind there are some of us who live abroad (Europe for example). So shipping & customs will increase the total cost by a lot. ;)

Platypus

Efficiency Noob
Oct 30, 2019
I am so bummed. I literally have been wanting to make a case. And this is using a borderline identical setup to what I have had in drawings. Mobo above PSU, vertical GPU with 240 rad in front... Grrr....

Platypus

Efficiency Noob
Oct 30, 2019
I am so bummed. I literally have been wanting to make a case. And this is using a borderline identical setup to what I have had in drawings. Mobo above PSU, vertical GPU with 240 rad in front... Grrr....

It really looks solid. I love the power button touch and do keep up the great work.

thecatar

Efficiency Noob
Apr 30, 2020
Love this case and it's exactly what I've been looking for. The clean design, hardware support, and even the power button are all fantastic. Open to both "made to order" and local sourcing as long as prices are not insane.

I think this may have been mentioned in this thread already but want to add that some usb ports and and headphone/microphone jacks in the front by the power button would be amazing. That would complete this case for me.

Loving everything you've put into this so far and really looking forward to this.

TaylorChiller

Super Magical Detailer
Original poster
Oct 10, 2019
This looks really nice, I hope you figure out the logistics in these crazy times ?
Local sourcing is always a good thing if it doesn't push your costs over 200%...

280mm rad, room for a real pump, two glass sides; this is basically everything I've been looking for.

Can you share some pictures of the bottom of your prototype so we can see the mobo cable routing?
@smik Hey sorry for this belated post. I'll have some more images soon so you can see all of that and give your feedback.

TaylorChiller

Super Magical Detailer
Original poster
Oct 10, 2019
Hey everyone, Thanks again for being so patient. The sourcing and factory options have become a lot more realistic in the recent weeks. I put up some more recent updates on the main post. Some are just making sure new viewers can see whats going on. Crowdfunding this project seems to be more promising now although I am still considering doing the PreOrdering route. Your feedback on pricing helped validate a lot of my concerns and was very helpful. Thank you