Completed SLATE-CASE AQ >>Status Update - Finalizing Order Fulfillments!

TaylorChiller

Super Magical Detailer
Original poster
Oct 10, 2019
Hey! Yes it has space for two 140mm fans. I'm considering allowing the user to slide the motherboard bracket forward to consume that space so one can place a push/push config on the radiator. Although it may not be necessary. My latest build has very good results so far. Also, you can technically fit a three slot card in this case, however there would be 5-7mm of space left between the fans and the glass panel (I can double check this) because of how the case fans would be pushing air at the GPU it probably would be fine.

TaylorChiller

Super Magical Detailer
Original poster
Oct 10, 2019
Alright everyone! Here are a couple leak images of the Slate T1 fully watercooled. This next round I'd like to get some feedback on a few ideas I have and also possible part additions. Stay tuned!

zafo

Case Bender
New User
Jul 29, 2019
Looks great! The combination of the silver and black is aesthetically pleasing to look at. If you could clarify if there is a ever small gap allowing light to pass through between where the glass meets the metal at the top(2nd photo). I like the power button concept, but would love to see some USB ports, mic, headphone jacks included. I understand that would probably come at more of a cost and with your targeted price point I would completely understand. Is that a 280 rad with a push pull configuration? I might have missed the post on fan layout. Is there also two 140mm fans mounted at the front? I can slightly make out some circular shapes.

TaylorChiller

Super Magical Detailer
Original poster
Oct 10, 2019
Looks great! The combination of the silver and black is aesthetically pleasing to look at. If you could clarify if there is a ever small gap allowing light to pass through between where the glass meets the metal at the top(2nd photo). I like the power button concept, but would love to see some USB ports, mic, headphone jacks included. I understand that would probably come at more of a cost and with your targeted price point I would completely understand. Is that a 280 rad with a push pull configuration? I might have missed the post on fan layout. Is there also two 140mm fans mounted at the front? I can slightly make out some circular shapes.
Hey Zafo,

Thanks for the feedback! Currently there is a little gap of light bleed, but in the Design for Manufacturing (DFM), I will be addressing that so there is no light bleed. The flange behind the glass and cap just needs to be extended a few mm. This config has two case fans and two fans on the radiator, 280mm radiator. The performance I get from having this unidirection airflow its a huge performance increase from when the PC was inside my Phanteks Evolv Shift X. Even though I had more radiator surface area per component, the difference in airflow changes everything. Under load my fans would be at around 1600 RPM (GPU 60 and CPU 50, 1080ti with 8700K). Now with the 280mm radiator (45mm thick) I get even slightly better performance with the fans 750-800 RPM. I realize the Evolv Shift has rather poor airflow, but still that is a significant validation for me, especially with a much smaller case.

What I was saying about the push pull possibility: I am thinking about changing the joints between the motherboard bracket and the frame to slider joints, instead of static screw fastening, so the user could opt to take out the case fans and slide the motherboard bracket forward. This would reallocate the space for the case fans to the radiator for a push pull config (now with negative pressure). I haven't tested this to see if it has any performance advantages but it might appeal to some. (I will include reference images in a later post).

As for additional audio and usb jacks, Yes there is room in the front. Currently there is 2 usb ports in the rear with video and power. It is enough for me but it may not be for others. Adding the audio jacks and more usb is a matter of changing a very small part. I may just have both as an option. I will know more for this as we get closer to funding when I can get more overall feedback.

Last edited:

TaylorChiller

Super Magical Detailer
Original poster
Oct 10, 2019
with your targeted price point I would completely understand. Is that a 280 rad with a push pull configuration? I might have missed the post on fan layout. Is there also two 140mm fans mounted at the front? I can slightly make out some circular shapes.
refer to my reply to Zafo above :)

Walderstorn

Average Stuffer
Apr 29, 2018
I love the looks but dislime the power button tbh. It protudes too much and its fors "breaks" the case lines for me.

Love everything else! Btw is it sfx only or sfx-l as well? Also wouldnt mind 2 additional usbs A and/or C.

Is your intention to sell with 2 glass panels or 1 glass + 1 "regular"?

Reactions: TaylorChiller

TaylorChiller

Super Magical Detailer
Original poster
Oct 10, 2019
I love the looks but dislime the power button tbh. It protudes too much and its fors "breaks" the case lines for me.

Love everything else! Btw is it sfx only or sfx-l as well? Also wouldnt mind 2 additional usbs A and/or C.

Is your intention to sell with 2 glass panels or 1 glass + 1 "regular"?
Hey Walderstorn,

Thanks for the feedback. This case supports sfx and sfx-l (less space for cables however they do fit snug. My pc in the last picture is using an sfx-l. I actually trimmed the PCIcables and recrimped the pin connectors so they didn't need as much room. The rest of the cables fit well routed behind the psu).

Since it is an MX switch for the power button, It would be fairly easy to place a low profile cap. I planned to pitch the case with two glass panels. Part of the features of this case is to introduce a simple kind of customization; which would include replacement options for panels and grill pieces. This is why I have the front and the back grills the same geometry. Maybe the case comes with one aluminum panel and a glass one, then people can purchase either an additional glass or aluminum panel for their needs?

TaylorChiller

Super Magical Detailer
Original poster
Oct 10, 2019
Would the aluminium panel be preforated?
Initially the case was designed so perforations are not necessary. The max CPU cooler height takes into account a certain amount of clearance for airflow. There is space for two case fans in the front that provides more than enough air based on the prototypes I've made. However, perforated side panels are well within an addition I'd like to include.