• Over the next few days, SFF.N will be performing maintenance on the website, some of which may result in periodic downtime. During these periods, users will be unable to log in or access the site. We apologize for any inconvenience and appreciate your patience.

Prototype SLATE AIR & AQ, (15.4L and 19.9L) >>HUGE CHANGES<< modular cooling, Looking for Feedback!

TaylorChiller

Super Magical Detailer
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Oct 10, 2019
NEW NAME! TWO MODELS! -SLATE AQ and SLATE AIR-
In the past two weeks I realized that the internal design of the original case was not strong enough. Considering some of the feedback I've received, I went back to the drawing board and made some very significant changes to the overall experience and features of the case:
-two different size options (19.9L and 15.4L) -added modular support for cooling -new internal structure (CNC ALUMINIUM) -rail system that increases access to component installation -removed all exterior screws, only sleek part lines -thinned out material thicknesses for lighter weight -full glass panel edge to edge
-supports up to 60mm thick radiators -dual radiators (recommend perforated panels) -support for mDTX motherboards

Please reply with any feedback and questions you all have. Negative and positive I'm open to it all!

STAY SAFE EVERYONE!

ARCHIVE CONTENT:
Changelist:
-Added new focus for perforated mesh grill (currently being quoted along side the original grill for comparison). The mesh has some advantages including an option for placing a filtering material more easily.
-Changed some small dimensions to help spacing, especially for wire routing and GPU placement.
-I'm considering reducing the thickness of the 4mm aluminum housing to 3mm. This may lower costs significantly enough to hit our target price point. (There are other options for doing that which are being explored).
-Added a GPU locking plate. This is similar to a couple other cases and is especially necessary for this one for accessing GPU installation. It also cleans things up on the underside. Instead of using two 6-32 thumb screws, It is simply a metal bracket with locking pins and a single screw for tightening. Much easier and faster.

Design Measures:
Under 20L (19.7L) 180mm W, 300mm L, 365mm H
Clean, material-focused aesthetics; high attention to proportions, lines, and visual layout.
Simplified I/O
Dual-Chamber design
Uni-directional air flow
Accommodates most GPUs, (323mm max L, up to 2.75 slots)
1-5 drive mounts (2.5in), depending on configuration
Up to 280mm Radiator, 45mm thick
78mm CPU cooler Height, (works best with aio but notable air cooled options work)
Formed cold-rolled-steel frame with aluminum caps.
Customize Friendly Elements: grill geometry is proportioned for ease of customization, mxcherry switch power button
Optional feet allow user to rotate case for traditional I/O access

SLATE MT1 case

Looking forward to all your feedback! Please note that this case does not aim to be the smallest SFFcase, but to bring a fresh look and opportunity for those interested. If you like it, please share "why." If you hate it, also please share "why."

(Some have asked about adding an optional handle, what do you think?)

Enjoy,

Taylorchiller

Last edited:

JDragon

Average Stuffer
Aug 22, 2018
That is gorgeous. Layout and design look great.

As a mechanical keyboard enthusiast I like the Cherry MX switch as the power button but it does look out of place on such a sleek case.

If the screws on the aluminum end caps could somehow be hidden this case would be perfect.

TaylorChiller

Super Magical Detailer
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Oct 10, 2019
That is gorgeous. Layout and design look great.

As a mechanical keyboard enthusiast I like the Cherry MX switch as the power button but it does look out of place on such a sleek case.

If the screws on the aluminum end caps could somehow be hidden this case would be perfect.
I agree about the screws. They are positioned in line with other elements so they feel okay, but yeah that refinement may come later. It comes down to the complexity of assembly in manufacturing/production. Having no screws will increase costs, however if numbers add up well, then It is something I'd want to change also. A shallower key for the mxcherry might feel better too.

CountNoctua

(no relation)
Jul 11, 2019
I suggested a Kailh Choc switch in another thread (nice to see mechanical power switches is a thing now). Flatter stem should be more stable, and the heavy variant (~100g) would be well suited for a power switch.

Reactions: scatterforce

TaylorChiller

Super Magical Detailer
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Oct 10, 2019
I suggested a Kailh Choc switch in another thread (nice to see mechanical power switches is a thing now). Flatter stem should be more stable, and the heavy variant (~100g) would be well suited for a power switch.
Sweet, thanks for the suggestion. I guess it wouldn't be too much different to use those (Kailh Choc switch). If people are to customize their power switch they would just use the appropriate geometry.

Reactions: LegendsofMace

CountNoctua

(no relation)
Jul 11, 2019
I like the case design overall, too. Very nice symmetrical modularity. Dimensions and compatibility are pretty much perfect for me in what I was looking for in a case.

Reactions: TaylorChiller

Ukee

Efficiency Noob
New User
May 22, 2019
This is probably my dream case, it fits all my wants and needs.
78mm CPU cooler height, 280mm radiator, 320mm GPU length and looks good while at it, take my damn money already.

Really like the power button too, users can add more flair to it by using their own keycap, maybe an artisan one too.

drakeonyou

What's an ITX?
Oct 10, 2019
Can you make a video about the progress? I'd be happy to sub on youtube and lookout for this. also, do you have an estimated release date?

Reactions: TaylorChiller

Windfall

Shrink Way Wielder
Silver Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Okay, thoughts:

In regards to the power switch: WOW. That is cool. I love it!

Case itself: I prefer it vertical.

Question: Who did you have manufacture it?

Reactions: CountNoctua

TaylorChiller

Super Magical Detailer
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Oct 10, 2019
Can you make a video about the progress? I'd be happy to sub on youtube and lookout for this. also, do you have an estimated release date?
I will be making videos soon. I'll be making a second case so I can demo an air cooled setup vs a water cooled. You can follow me on Instagram if you like, @TaylorChiller, either way I'll keep you guys updated.

TaylorChiller

Super Magical Detailer
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Oct 10, 2019
You mention 280mm radiator support—is this in the front and back?! ?

Brilliant design. A kick of personality with the mechanical switch. Looks like it's got good bones, and some well-considered modular aspects. Eager to hear more!
Hey August,
Glad you are interested! As of right now the design supports up to one 280. This was a decision I had to make to keep the case design direction under 20L. However it would be possible to design an extension to the body, similar to the Louqe Ghost does with their top hats, except on the front. I'm not sure if the spacial requirements meets the gain though as one of the radiators would be using cycled air from the first based on the current layout. I'll be releasing more as this progresses. You can also follow me on instagram if you wish, @TaylorChiller

Reactions: CountNoctua

TaylorChiller

Super Magical Detailer
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Oct 10, 2019
Okay, thoughts:

In regards to the power switch: WOW. That is cool. I love it!

Case itself: I prefer it vertical.

Question: Who did you have manufacture it?
Hey Windfall and @CountNoctua
Thanks for the feedback! As more manufacturing this prototype, I had protocase do most of the sheet metal forming. There were some steps I made a tool to press. I did all the 3dprints, finishing and assembly. I have a workshop at the studio so that makes things easier.

Kylenol

Efficiency Noob
Nov 15, 2019
I love how clean and sophisticated this case looks! The switch for power is a great idea. It would be cool to choose my switch type to my own personal preference like one of the heavier zealious switches. I'm planning to build a new relatively small gaming/workstation rig when rtx 3080 comes out and would love to use this case in the new year. Any ETA on this beautiful case?

youngdocument

Chassis Packer
Nov 15, 2018
Love to see a vertical layout and the power switch is a great detail. Does it have mounts/places for case fans? Are there parts of the design you can scale back to free up volume and increase GPU compatibility to triple slot?