Skyreach S4M Ryzen/GTX 1060 brickless

Zackmd1

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Jun 3, 2016
Well it has finally arrived! The S4M is very impressive! The goal with this build is to take my Xbox One S PSU project seen here: https://smallformfactor.net/forum/threads/dual-internal-xbox-one-s-psus.6849/ and install it in the S4M.

Build specs:

1. AMD Ryzen 1400 (possible upgrade to 2600 when available)
  2. Biostar X370GTN (possible upgrade to Asus Strix ITX)
  3. 16gb Hyperx DRR4 overclocked to 2933mhz
  4. Samsung 960 NVMe 256gb
  5. 1tb HDD
  6. Zotac GTX 1060 6gb
  7. 2 Xbox One S Internal Power Supplies
Currently the PSUs do not fit in the S4M due to OEM mounting tabs and power sockets. The plan is to remove the mounting tabs and relocate the power sockets to the c8 connector the S4M is designed for.

More updates to come!

Zackmd1

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Jun 3, 2016
Dry fit done! Took a bit more modification then I was expecting but I have one PSU fitting. It is certainly a tight fit but it does fit. Up next is modifying the second PSU and the completing/cleaning up the wiring.

There are two options for locations of the second PSU, in front of the GPU or above the GPU. I am choosing in front as it is cleaner IMO and because a lot of the high end GPUs are taller then the Zotac 1060 but not longer.

Zackmd1

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Jun 3, 2016
So currently I have the PSUs wired up with 14 gauge which is just a bit big and bulky to deal with in the tight spaces I have. My plan is to re-wire using 16 gauge and hopefully do some custom cable sleeving on both the PSU and the rest of the wiring. The problem is that I cannot seem to find a supplier that is US based (no shipping from overseas) that has 3-4mm pet sleeving in black with white tracers.... Does anyone know of a supplier that would have this kind of sleeve?

Zackmd1

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Jun 3, 2016
It’s alive!! Got initial wiring complete and fired it up. Need to still clean up sections of the wiring and figure out a solution to 2.5 drive mounting. Since the PSU blocks the front side mount, I am considering cutting the hdd bracket in half. That would allow mounting to the rear on both sides of the GPU.

Still need to run it through stress tests to confirm temperatures of all components. A 10 min Doom session though went well with little to no audible coil whine!

Zackmd1

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Jun 3, 2016
Finally was able to get some time on the PC to shake it down. Happy to report rock solid gameplay in battlefield 1 and other stress tests! Wattage from the wall was about 190 watts when in game with peak stress testing around 215 watts. Slight coil whine from the PSUs when being pushed but barely noticeable (game was on mute BTW) When in game with sound and during lighter loads the system is inaudible. S4M itself does not get warm like I was expecting around the PSU area. All in all I would call this a success! Now I am just on the hunt for some cable sleeving that I actually like color wise to clean up the last few bits inside and to figure out my 2.5 drive mounting solution.

Zackmd1

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Jun 3, 2016
Well I have some sad news.... My Pico PSU has finally decided to kick the bucket... Not bad though for running 2+ years at about 40-60 watts above its rated wattage. I do not believe the failure is related to the new Xbox One power solution since to the Pico it should have been a pretty steady power input...

I now have a decision to make in terms of purchasing another Pico 160xt or moving to a 19v solution (now that HDplex is coming out with a 400 watt brick I am more inclined to move that route) I can also use the Xbox PSUs in smaller one on one systems that I have planned.... Decisions, decisions...

Zackmd1

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Jun 3, 2016
Last edited:

Zackmd1

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Jun 3, 2016
To be fair, their 300 watt adapter would fit in the S4M as well with just some slight sanding to the exterior housing. I did not go that route with this build due to expense.... $80 for the brick and then $125 for the dynamo combo. If this Meanwell brick works out then this power solution would still be cheaper ( $45 for the brick and 50 for the Pico).

Reactions: Naavjames

BrotherStein

Cable-Tie Ninja
Nov 11, 2017
I think I might have stumbled on to something very interesting....

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/MEAN-WELL/UHP-200-12?qs=YCa/AAYMW02wbY6zs%2b73Lg==

Meanwell passively cooled 200 watt 12v AC-DC PSU with dimensions of 194x55x26mm. Would be a perfect fit in the S4M and I would be able to retain my Xbox PSUs for smaller systems.

Edit: Purchased it along with another Pico for testing.

Would love to see how you wire up the Meanwell when it comes in. I'm not super knowledgeable about wiring :(

Zackmd1

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Jun 3, 2016
Haha yea I have to figure that one out as well. Messed around with DC a lot but not a whole lot of experience in AC. I would like to connect the Meanwell PSU to the non polar plug that I already have. From what I can tell that should be fine but I would love some input on this from those more knowledgeable...