Skyreach Mini HDPLEX doesn't work. Knockoff or user error?

Seamless

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
Jun 20, 2018
I'm building an S4 with the HDPLEX 400w and the Dell 330 brick. I bought the brick from Dell and followed the link on http://nfc-systems.com/s4-mini/ to order the HDPLEX 400w DC-DC PSU.

The link takes you to a HDPLEX 400w HIFI DCATX, which I bought, but the one that arrived looks a bit off.

When I wire it up and plug it into the motherboard, the ram lights up, but it won't post.

I'm not sure if I got a bad unit, a fake unit, or if the plex 400w-DCDC is an entirely different product.

Any ideas or insights would be greatly appreciated.

Reactions: cleveland

Nanook

King of Cable Management
May 23, 2016
I'm building an S4 with the HDPLEX 400w and the Dell 330 brick. I bought the brick from Dell and followed the link on http://nfc-systems.com/s4-mini/ to order the HDPLEX 400w DC-DC PSU.

The link takes you to a HDPLEX 400w HIFI DCATX, which I bought, but the one that arrived looks a bit off.

When I wire it up and plug it into the motherboard, the ram lights up, but it won't post.

I'm not sure if I got a bad unit, a fake unit, or if the plex 400w-DCDC is an entirely different product.

Any ideas or insights would be greatly appreciated.
My 400w DCATX looks the same, with the updated / larger heatsink. I'm sure you've already done this, but double check to make sure the correct cable to used with the corresponding connector.

cleveland

Master of Cramming
Sep 8, 2016
I fell like the picture on HDplex site should be updated, if it does not reflect the actual product anymore...

Seamless

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
Jun 20, 2018
Thanks for confirming its probably not a knockoff, Nanook.

When I've got everything hooked into the old power supply, and the computer works great. Although it looks a bit janky with the top off and the wires coming out of the box.

I plug in the Plex to the dell 330, then swap the 24 pin connector from the old PSU to the plex and power it up. The ram glows, the fan spins for a few seconds, and then it dies.

I plug in the plex to the dell 330, then, leaving everything plugged into the old PSU, I swap out the 8 pin graphics card cable to the Plex. The computer comes on, fans spin, but I get no video output.

When I have the old PSU powering everything except the plex powers the CPU, I hear a clicking noise, like a fan is being blocked, and the machine power cycles constantly.

I'm at a loss.

Seamless

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
Jun 20, 2018
It was user error all along.

After chatting with PLEX tech support, seems like resetting the CMOS fixed me.

Thanks for the help all, I'm up and running!

Reactions: Nanook and confusis