Motherboard Skylake Z170 mATX boards... no WIFI?!

wovie

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Aug 18, 2015

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Most (all?) M.2 WiFi cards have an A-key and or E-key and require a M.2 Socket 2.
But M.2 SSD cards have a B or M-key and require a M.2 Socket 3:

If a board is advertised of having M.2 PCIe x4, it's a Socket 3, most boards that have a Socket 2 already have it occupied by a WiFi card.
If you want the latest WiFi card, you can look at the latest Intel 8260NGW:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B016D7YB94/?tag=theminutiae-20

|||

King of Cable Management
Sep 26, 2015
There are no WiFi solutions I am aware of that are soldered onto the board. All of the ones with a metal box by the rear I/O...the metal box is just a shield covering the M.2 or mPCIe WiFi card (as well as holding the female RP-SMA connectors for the antenna).

Last edited:

wovie

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Aug 18, 2015
Thanks for the info Phuncz, probably saved me a whole lot of hassle - wired ethernet is not an option for me.

There are no WiFi solutions I am aware of that are soldered onto the board. All of the ones with a metal box by the rear I/O...the metal box is just a shield covering the M.2 or mPCIe WiFi card (as well as holding the female RP-SMA connectors for the antenna).

Interesting... I think I'm getting it now. So Skylake made more PCIe lanes available to the M.2, which opened up the possibility of SSDs there. It would be a shame to just occupy that slot with a measly WIFI card, huh? Maybe I'll just stick to Haswell, there should be some great mATX boards there.

|||

King of Cable Management
Sep 26, 2015
Interesting... I think I'm getting it now. So Skylake made more PCIe lanes available to the M.2, which opened up the possibility of SSDs there. It would be a shame to just occupy that slot with a measly WIFI card, huh? Maybe I'll just stick to Haswell, there should be some great mATX boards there.

My point was that all of the solutions out there are using M.2 or mPCIe cards, answering your question on how the cards perform (all solutions are now using cards). Usually, there are dedicated slots for WiFi card use that have fewer lanes. They can also use High Speed I/O PCIe lanes that do not have Intel RST capability (lanes 7 - 14, PCIe #1 - #8), so they won't diminish the potential to have M.2 (or U.2) connectors for storage (lanes 15 - 26, PCIe #9 - #20).

BirdofPrey

Standards Guru
Sep 3, 2015
It would be a shame to just occupy that slot with a measly WIFI card, huh? Maybe I'll just stick to Haswell, there should be some great mATX boards there.
Since they are keyed differently due to having different feature sets, you CAN'T actually occupy an SSD M.2 slot with a wi-fi card.

SSDs are B and M keyed while Wi-Fi cards are A and E keyed as are the slots.

Most of the time the M.2 slots that are advertised are M keyed for SSDs, and if they even come with a slot for a WiFi card, it's usually already occupied by one. It's always a good idea to dig into the specs, though. if you DO happen to see it mention a slot keyed for A or E, you can get a wireless adapter for it. Alternatively, there's always the option for a PCIe WiFi card if you can fit it in somewhere, since mATX has 4 card slots.

wovie

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Aug 18, 2015
Yeah you guys are right, all of these Skylake boards are keyed for SSDs - I was hoping to find a budget/niche board that wasn't.