Stalled BlackLight Presents: Sion (10.6L) Console Case

Shatrod

Cable-Tie Ninja
Dec 6, 2019
I went out and bought the tapping kit necessary but thanks to whatever genius doesn't like the metric system,ill need to tap all of my M3.5 x0.6 holes with a 6-32 tap. It should work,ill update you guys in the next few hours on progress.
Why don't you use pem nuts?

Shatrod

Cable-Tie Ninja
Dec 6, 2019
I didn't even know that was a thing, but I think those might make more sense. Much less fiddly than tapping the holes yourself. Where would you find them?
They need to be installed during manufacturing. You need a much bigger hole than 3mm to press them into (4.25mm hole for an m3 pem nut). I was able to get some from Amazon and do it into aluminum with an arbor press but nearly every manufacturer I contacted stocks them and will insert them for very cheap. I reckon it saves so much time vs tapping that it might even be cheaper.

They also make press fit blind standoffs. So you can use those for the motherboard and have the other side of the sheet flush.

Want me to take a few pics?

Reactions: Sorakamii

Sorakamii

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Apr 3, 2020
Tapping kit failed. It looked like the tap wouldn't even enter the hole because it was far too big. Currently m3 screws are fitting perfectly in holes designed for m3.5 screws. I also can't insert the motherboard standoffs because of the same issue. The design is nice but since i cant assembly it, I'm giving up for today. Ill continue to look around more tomorrow when I'm calm and collected.

I apologise for the delay, hopefully i can figure something out soon and actually get to testing.
Why don't you use pem nuts?
I'll talk to my manufacturer tomorrow on that

Sorakamii

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Apr 3, 2020
Update:
The company is currently considering remaking the entire project for me free of charge. I am currently talking to their management about it along with a few other processes. The sales rep that im talking to also mentioned i may end up just sending back the parts for them to fix...of course they'd pay for priority shipping.

Last edited:
Reactions: Shatrod

TimeLordTim

Trash Compacter
May 26, 2020
Tapping kit failed. It looked like the tap wouldn't even enter the hole because it was far too big. Currently m3 screws are fitting perfectly in holes designed for m3.5 screws. I also can't insert the motherboard standoffs because of the same issue. The design is nice but since i cant assembly it, I'm giving up for today. Ill continue to look around more tomorrow when I'm calm and collected.

I apologise for the delay, hopefully i can figure something out soon and actually get to testing.

I'll talk to my manufacturer tomorrow on that
If m3 screws are fitting in the holes, maybe you could try the adhesive method I mentioned before with m3 screws instead of m3.5 . some blu-tack or something similar on the screws to hold them in place inside the holes.

Of course, that's only if you're feeling rushed don't want to wait for the remade/fixed project to come back from the manufacturer for your thermal testing.

Sorakamii

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Apr 3, 2020
If m3 screws are fitting in the holes, maybe you could try the adhesive method I mentioned before with m3 screws instead of m3.5 . some blu-tack or something similar on the screws to hold them in place inside the holes.

Of course, that's only if you're feeling rushed don't want to wait for the remade/fixed project to come back from the manufacturer for your thermal testing.
It only fits in some places.I can't mount the SSDs, and motherboard so im basically stuck without either buying different screws and standoffs or trying another method. I personally want to launch this case before the end of the month,so i have a bit of time before i feel rushed.

Reactions: TimeLordTim

Sorakamii

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Apr 3, 2020
Update:
Was told just a few minutes ago,they'll be remaking the parts (properly this time) and it'll be priority. This hopefully means ill be getting them faster than last time. Sadly due to all these holds ups ill be making the kickstarter only last 2 weeks rather than the full month or 2 that i originally planned. The other company that i will be using the produce these cases for customers is already ready to get my first order in,so hopefully it all works out this time.

Sorakamii

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Apr 3, 2020
Still here,waiting and hoping the engineer gets back to me soon. I apologize for taking so long with my testing and launch of this simple case. Thank you for your continued support and i hope its launch will actually go better than these prototypes have been.

Sorakamii

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Apr 3, 2020
No updates yet, while I've been waiting I've just been optimizing the case that way after the testing is done, it'll be ready to launch.

Sorakamii

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Apr 3, 2020
What have you been changing?

Hype!
Been mostly changing a few hole placements,some material thicknesses. Nothing too major. So far,just from my first two "failed" prototype,i really like this simple design and want to keep it like this. I've also realized that by dropping 4 screws,you'll be able to open the entire case. I actually kind of like that for ease of cleaning and replacements. The part of it that sucks,is that lining up the holes can be a bit tedious.

TimeLordTim

Trash Compacter
May 26, 2020
Been mostly changing a few hole placements,some material thicknesses. Nothing too major. So far,just from my first two "failed" prototype,i really like this simple design and want to keep it like this. I've also realized that by dropping 4 screws,you'll be able to open the entire case. I actually kind of like that for ease of cleaning and replacements. The part of it that sucks,is that lining up the holes can be a bit tedious.
If lining up the holes is tedious, why not make some locator posts - posts that stick out of one side and fit into a hole in the other. You could even have the screw holes contained in the posts. A ring of material that sits proud surrounding the threaded hole, and an indent on the other side that fits the proud material. The locator hole would have to not go fully through the metal of the panel though, otherwise the screws wouldn’t have anything to hold together

Sorakamii

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Apr 3, 2020
If lining up the holes is tedious, why not make some locator posts - posts that stick out of one side and fit into a hole in the other. You could even have the screw holes contained in the posts. A ring of material that sits proud surrounding the threaded hole, and an indent on the other side that fits the proud material. The locator hole would have to not go fully through the metal of the panel though, otherwise the screws wouldn’t have anything to hold together
Indeed a great idea,i was considering just moving the holes into a better position if possible. Ill look into your idea more.

TimeLordTim

Trash Compacter
May 26, 2020
Indeed a great idea,i was considering just moving the holes into a better position if possible. Ill look into your idea more.
I mean, just moving the holes would probably be cheaper. There'd probably be a bunch of extra machining and work time needed to make my idea work. Glad you like the idea though!

Sorakamii

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Apr 3, 2020
I mean, just moving the holes would probably be cheaper. There'd probably be a bunch of extra machining and work time needed to make my idea work. Glad you like the idea though!
There is but down the line when im comfortable with making a more expensive case,ill have alot more options and ideas thanks to you and @Shatrod

Sorakamii

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Apr 3, 2020
Designed a case foot (vertical orientation). I sent that in to be quoted,hopefully its a rather cheap endeavor so i can add that to the case. It's about 1mm thick.

Sorakamii

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Apr 3, 2020
Photos of the Prototype post build
30 Minute Stress Test Results for CPU
Video of the prototype booting

Now that the easy part is over its time to go over things that NEED to be improved.
  1. Misaligned Holes
    1. If you noticed,the left panel wasnt on in most of the pictures. Thats because the new support bracket i designed has the holes 2.54mm off,so it wont attach properly. For the testing i was able to hold it on with a some improvising but thats something i refuse to let slide.
  2. Horrible GPU Placement
    1. I honestly dont even know where to start with the GPU. I need to figure out exactly how other case manufacturers design that area because it honestly took me 20 minutes to get the GPU attached "properly". It'll support its own weight mostly but i still need to fix that especially since im using slim fans and it wanted to try to touch them when i lay it horizontally.
  3. SSD Placement
    1. There'w two things wrong with the SSD placement right now
      1. Actual mount is off by 1.5mm so i can only attach one set of screws to hold it in place
      2. PSU Cables completely fill the other two slots for SSDs.
        1. Im not sure how i was to take case of that honestly,maybe ill remove the fan mounts and put the SSDs behind the GPU or I'll attempt to reroute my PSU cables somewhere else.
  4. Cable Management
    1. There alot of areas where i think i can improve cable routing but that may just be me and not the case iteself.
Tell me what you guys think of it and how i can try to improve it. Im actually typing this up using the PC right now so i can tell you it looks rather nice. I'll be painting and modding the case at some point in the next 2 months and im pushing the launch date to November since i believe its not ready just yet. I'll include an edit a bit later on whether or not it passes the backpack test.

Edit: Failed the backpack test
Edit 2: Heading up to a machine shop tomorrow to get the panel and L-Brackets fixed
Edit 3: KickStarter Project has been accepted. Head over to to see it.

Last edited:

TimeLordTim

Trash Compacter
May 26, 2020
Temps look good, I'm assuming they're for under load?

What's the issue with the cable management? Is there not enough space for the cables as they are now, or do they not bend into the positions you imagined for routing?

For the GPU mounting, I think most of them have something for the riser cable to screw into, so the PCB can add support, plus the retention screw by the back plate. Is there a spot for the retention screw on the back plate?

As for SSD placement, behind the GPU might not be the best place given how hot that can get and the GPU issues you're having. Is there enough space on the front panel to mount them there?

The case itself looks really good, I especially like the way the RGB shines through.

Reactions: Sorakamii