Stalled BlackLight Presents: Sion (10.6L) Console Case

Shatrod

Cable-Tie Ninja
Dec 6, 2019
Do you by chance have any plans to change the vent pattern on the side panels. Personally I'm not too hot on the large rectangles. It looks kind of restrictive

Sorakamii

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Apr 3, 2020
Well,thanks to my never ending "great" luck,i hit another problem. Since the side panel was created backwards,the motherboard doesn't fit. This means even the test i wanted to do today is on hold since i even that doesn't want to work for me. I will email the company and see what i can do,if nothing works,i'll continue to work towards making that second prototype,with a new company,that should turn out better.
I humbly apologize for this mistake on my part,hopefully i can get word from them soon.

Sorakamii

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Apr 3, 2020
Do you by chance have any plans to change the vent pattern on the side panels. Personally I'm not too hot on the large rectangles. It looks kind of restrictive

Is this enough ventilation for you? Joking aside,this is just an early mock-up for the perforated option.

Reactions: Jerdz and Shatrod

Shatrod

Cable-Tie Ninja
Dec 6, 2019
If you make the vents some common cluster punch dimension it could be very cost effective to make. Something like 1/8" hole with a 1/4" pitch no stagger.

Reactions: TimeLordTim

Sorakamii

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Apr 3, 2020
After some heavy back and forth with the manufacturer that i want,the only way for me to keep these three major points...
  • $150 plus Shipping Price Point
  • Aluminum Enclosure
  • Relatively decent shipping (Around 3 weeks time from Manufacturer--->Me---->You)
Is if i drop the brushing on the aluminum. Currently,according to my math,id be cutting dead even and this isnt even considering that me shipping it to you may cost more than i anticipated.Not to mention i added some material to the side panels so that'll increase the cost of production. I'm too stubborn to raise my price anymore,so sad to say,the brushed aluminum has to get dropped for just regular aluminum. I'll talk to them about giving the surface a little shine or something,but currently i cant get any special surface treatment and keep this price.

TimeLordTim

Trash Compacter
May 26, 2020
Maybe look into having the panels made of aluminum and the body made of a powder-coated steel? I know that would mean the front and back panels would be made of the steel, but that might be a nice contrast, and it might bring costs down

EDIT: My bad, I thought there was an internal frame to the case, but it's all mounted on the side panels. If the cost is an issue, powder-coated steel might be the best option.

Last edited:

Sorakamii

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Apr 3, 2020
Maybe look into having the panels made of aluminum and the body made of a powder-coated steel? I know that would mean the front and back panels would be made of the steel, but that might be a nice contrast, and it might bring costs down

EDIT: My bad, I thought there was an internal frame to the case, but it's all mounted on the side panels. If the cost is an issue, powder-coated steel might be the best option.
The powder coating in general is just too expensive. All of the savings that the steel gives me gets taken away by the powder coating and the shipping.The only way way the shipping wont be a problem is if i get it done by sea (its a US based company but they have a sea shipping option for whatever reason) which would double the shipment time to me. This means it would take around 2 months to deliver the case to the customer,which i feel is completely out of the question since im not based in china,and it just barely keeps me in the positive.

Last edited:

Shatrod

Cable-Tie Ninja
Dec 6, 2019
I think perhaps you can explore other factories? Your design doesn't look very complicated, I'm tempted to say the quotes you are working with are kind of very high. I don't know a lot about manufacturing but from how my own project is going it seems like you should be able to powder coat your whole case and get it made for sub 150usd per unit. Especially if you're talking volumes of like 50 units.

Also, I don't know how others feel, but I would personally gladly pay a slightly higher price for a nice finish. Leaving it raw just seems like it's unfinished. Like I would gladly pay $70 for an sg13 but I really probably wouldn't pay $60 for an sg13 in bare metal with no paint.

TimeLordTim

Trash Compacter
May 26, 2020
I would agree with @Shatrod, the design is ultimately simple, and shouldn't be extremely costly. The material might be expensive given the (Thicc) 3mm thickness, but shouldn't make it prohibitively so. I also wouldn't mind paying a bit more for a more finished product.

I would definitely suggest shopping around factory-wise, and possibly even use the car-buying strategy: pit two or three contenders against each other and let them outbid each other. If that doesn't work, maybe step back the THICCness.

That being said, with the current COVID situation, I would not be surprised if there are premiums being charged because of the backlog of work. Plus, if it's a US-based factory, manufacturing is just generally going to be more expensive.

Last edited:

Poblopuablo

King of Cable Management
Jan 14, 2018
How do you guys feel about Galvanized Steel (DX51D+Z275MAC) I found that its actually cheaper than regular carbon steel and Aluminum.I'll look into it more but i might be able to keep color options.
@grsychckn 's new salvo s402 is galvanized steel. :) I personally don't mind it since I don't move my computer, but those who do, night care.

Sorakamii

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Apr 3, 2020
I would agree with @Shatrod, the design is ultimately simple, and shouldn't be extremely costly. The material might be expensive given the (Thicc) 3mm thickness, but shouldn't make it prohibitively so. I also wouldn't mind paying a bit more for a more finished product.

I would definitely suggest shopping around factory-wise, and possibly even use the car-buying strategy: pit two or three contenders against each other and let them outbid each other. If that doesn't work, maybe step back the THICCness.

That being said, with the current COVID situation, I would not be surprised if there are premiums being charged because of the backlog of work. Plus, if it's a US-based factory, manufacturing is just generally going to be more expensive.
I think perhaps you can explore other factories? Your design doesn't look very complicated, I'm tempted to say the quotes you are working with are kind of very high. I don't know a lot about manufacturing but from how my own project is going it seems like you should be able to powder coat your whole case and get it made for sub 150usd per unit. Especially if you're talking volumes of like 50 units.

Also, I don't know how others feel, but I would personally gladly pay a slightly higher price for a nice finish. Leaving it raw just seems like it's unfinished. Like I would gladly pay $70 for an sg13 but I really probably wouldn't pay $60 for an sg13 in bare metal with no paint.
Sent out the files to around 25 or so companies thus far,lets hope one of them is the right one.

Sorakamii

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Apr 3, 2020
Still looking for a company with a reasonable price,but on a side note i ordered the fixed prototype.

Sorakamii

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Apr 3, 2020

Trying out a different stand idea with a 90 degree adapter for the PSU. Once i get this prototype in the next few weeks I'll let you know how it feel versus the old design.

Reactions: Poblopuablo

Sorakamii

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Apr 3, 2020
Good News: So far,I've had one company who's price i can accept. It is aluminum and is powder coated.
Bad News:It'll take a bit over a month to be delivered to who so ever buys it,getting it manufactured in china.

TimeLordTim

Trash Compacter
May 26, 2020
Good News: So far,I've had one company who's price i can accept. It is aluminum and is powder coated.
Bad News:It'll take a bit over a month to be delivered to who so ever buys it,getting it manufactured in china.
For your given price, plus the inclusion of full aluminum powder-coated panels, I'm willing to wait. There are a bunch of cases that take a similar amount of time to ship. I was honestly surprised when you said it would be only two weeks.

Reactions: Sorakamii

Sorakamii

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Apr 3, 2020
For your given price, plus the inclusion of full aluminum powder-coated panels, I'm willing to wait. There are a bunch of cases that take a similar amount of time to ship. I was honestly surprised when you said it would be only two weeks.
was hoping for the best but as expected,i couldn't get that. Either way,i have a company that now so once i can get my updated prototype, i can seriously get this started.

Side Note:

Ventilation Option if you want to show off your hardware more. Personally I think i should shrink the size of the holes a bit,but i also do like the crazy amount of airflow this offers.