Stalled BlackLight Presents: Sion (10.6L) Console Case

TimeLordTim

Trash Compacter
May 26, 2020
Out of curiosity, if you orient the case horizontally, do you think it would be strong enough to work as a monitor stand? I'm sure thermals would skyrocket, but it would be cool to have that as an option, I think

Shatrod

Cable-Tie Ninja
Dec 6, 2019
Oh oh... That prompts another interesting question. Can you make it vesa compatible? So you could mount it behind the monitor?

TimeLordTim

Trash Compacter
May 26, 2020
Oh oh... That prompts another interesting question. Can you make it vesa compatible? So you could mount it behind the monitor?
I feel like that would just be a sidepanel option that hides the mounting points in the ventilation pattern. The big question is, why would you want to hide this beautiful case behind a monitor? Also what beefy monitor can hold up a 10L case?

Sorakamii

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Apr 3, 2020
Out of curiosity, if you orient the case horizontally, do you think it would be strong enough to work as a monitor stand? I'm sure thermals would skyrocket, but it would be cool to have that as an option, I think
Shall test once i get my prototype on July 7 or so. While i wait,i can design a stand for it and/or add an inner bracket to keep the metal from bending into the cpu cooler.

Reactions: TimeLordTim

Sorakamii

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Apr 3, 2020
Side note,im really glad the two of you like this case so much. I hope once i start the first back order others just like you will come out and share this experience

TimeLordTim

Trash Compacter
May 26, 2020
What does the case render you have right now look like? When you showed us the new vertical stand there looked like there had been a couple more changes. I'd love to see some renders with the different side panels and some nice shots of the internals.

Sorakamii

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Apr 3, 2020
What does the case render you have right now look like? When you showed us the new vertical stand there looked like there had been a couple more changes. I'd love to see some renders with the different side panels and some nice shots of the internals.
I'll get those uploaded here tomorrow.

Sorakamii

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Apr 3, 2020
I'll be receiving the updated model (prototype) by next week Tuesday. Everything should fit properly this time since i specified every little detail that needed to be addressed. After i receive it, I'll be doing some major testing...this time with actual fans so you can get a better idea of thermals and noise. Like i mentioned before,i have a Ryzen 5 3600 and an RX5600 XT. CPU cooler is 70mm which is the biggest the case can fit.

TimeLordTim

Trash Compacter
May 26, 2020
I'll be receiving the updated model (prototype) by next week Tuesday. Everything should fit properly this time since i specified every little detail that needed to be addressed. After i receive it, I'll be doing some major testing...this time with actual fans so you can get a better idea of thermals and noise. Like i mentioned before,i have a Ryzen 5 3600 and an RX5600 XT. CPU cooler is 70mm which is the biggest the case can fit.
Sounds like it's just a waiting game at this point. One where we all sit on the edge of our seats while the exciting stuff creeps closer

Reactions: Sorakamii

Sorakamii

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Apr 3, 2020

Current Side Panel and Internal Renders. Note: Theres a hole at the bottom missing in the renders but it will be in the final product

TimeLordTim

Trash Compacter
May 26, 2020

Current Side Panel and Internal Renders. Note: Theres a hole at the bottom missing in the renders but it will be in the final product

Looks really good!

Good News: So far,I've had one company who's price i can accept. It is aluminum and is powder coated.
Bad News:It'll take a bit over a month to be delivered to who so ever buys it,getting it manufactured in china.

I forgot to ask before, what powder coating options are you thinking of having?

Shatrod

Cable-Tie Ninja
Dec 6, 2019
There looks to be enough room for a 3 slot gpu if you remove the two 120mm fans. Is there support for this?

Sorakamii

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Apr 3, 2020
There looks to be enough room for a 3 slot gpu if you remove the two 120mm fans. Is there support for this?
Ill be adding a separate option for that. I dont want people with 2 slot cards to have a massive extra hole in the back. It'll be another back panel option.

All extra panel options will be able to be bought separately also. Since the case dimensions are the same,itll be a quick swap and drop.

Looks really good!

I forgot to ask before, what powder coating options are you thinking of having?
Probably just going to go with black or bare silver. Depending on how it goes the first few months i may add another few options down the line

Sorakamii

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Apr 3, 2020
The case prototype that i ordered wasn't powder coated since i wanted to save $250 for that single order. There will be three sets of pictures.
  • Just the bare case, empty.
  • The empty case with a black base coat on it (This is what the final product will be powder coated with)
  • Assembled,personally painted and with a few added personal touches.
    • This will be the one that i will be doing the testing with since ill be using it as my personal rig from then on. I doubt paint and vinyls will affect temperatures at all but hey maybe 1 or 2 degrees at the most.

TimeLordTim

Trash Compacter
May 26, 2020
The case prototype that i ordered wasn't powder coated since i wanted to save $250 for that single order. There will be three sets of pictures.
  • Just the bare case, empty.
  • The empty case with a black base coat on it (This is what the final product will be powder coated with)
  • Assembled,personally painted and with a few added personal touches.
    • This will be the one that i will be doing the testing with since ill be using it as my personal rig from then on. I doubt paint and vinyls will affect temperatures at all but hey maybe 1 or 2 degrees at the most.
I’m super excited!
I can’t wait to see what the thermals look like, and I’m sure the added thickness to he panels will make it look better too!

Waiting on the edge of my seat!

Sorakamii

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Apr 3, 2020
As expected,i have good news and bad news.
Good news is the prototype came in today and Its actually bent properly this time. Everything seems to fit together mostly as intended.
Bad news is the company i got for this job didnt thread a single hole. Not a one. Im currently talking to management and they can confirm that i specified every single hole that needed to be tapped/threaded along with multiple models and drawings. I'll keep you guys updated on the progress.
Neutral news is i have some extra screws laying around that let me cheat the non threaded holes a bit. I might be able to fully assembly the system if i can force the fan screws and motherboard stand-offs in place.

TimeLordTim

Trash Compacter
May 26, 2020
As expected,i have good news and bad news.
Good news is the prototype came in today and Its actually bent properly this time. Everything seems to fit together mostly as intended.
Bad news is the company i got for this job didnt thread a single hole. Not a one. Im currently talking to management and they can confirm that i specified every single hole that needed to be tapped/threaded along with multiple models and drawings. I'll keep you guys updated on the progress.
Neutral news is i have some extra screws laying around that let me cheat the non threaded holes a bit. I might be able to fully assembly the system if i can force the fan screws and motherboard stand-offs in place.
Hey, the case arrived early! That's pretty neat!

The holes didn't get threaded? That's...really unprofessional and really disappointing. You could try cutting the threads yourself if you having a tapping kit, but you shouldn't have to do that on a product you spent money on for a company to make for you. Alternatively, you could try stripping the screws you have and just sticking the leftover posts into the holes with a bit of blu-tack or some other adhesive around them to hold them in place.

Sorakamii

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Apr 3, 2020
Hey, the case arrived early! That's pretty neat!

The holes didn't get threaded? That's...really unprofessional and really disappointing. You could try cutting the threads yourself if you having a tapping kit, but you shouldn't have to do that on a product you spent money on for a company to make for you. Alternatively, you could try stripping the screws you have and just sticking the leftover posts into the holes with a bit of blu-tack or some other adhesive around them to hold them in place.
I went out and bought the tapping kit necessary but thanks to whatever genius doesn't like the metric system,ill need to tap all of my M3.5 x0.6 holes with a 6-32 tap. It should work,ill update you guys in the next few hours on progress.

TimeLordTim

Trash Compacter
May 26, 2020
I went out and bought the tapping kit necessary but thanks to whatever genius doesn't like the metric system,ill need to tap all of my M3.5 x0.6 holes with a 6-32 tap. It should work,ill update you guys in the next few hours on progress.
Good luck! Tapping is hard to do and a little finicky