Stalled BlackLight Presents: Sion (10.6L) Console Case

Sorakamii

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Apr 3, 2020
While I'm waiting on my prototype to get here,I'm really interested to know what some of your concerns are with the case. I also forget to mention my plans on selling this case.
I plan on opening the pre-order at the 1st of every month and accepting orders for the first 2 weeks (14 days in total). After those two weeks are over,I'll close it and place the order. It should take around another 2 weeks to arrive to me for final examinations and packing. Then,I'll send it to the respectable future owner. Should arrive,hopefully to the owner,by the 25th of every month. My hope is that i can sell a minimum of 30 orders per month to start. I also forgot to mention that im considering adding a handle but im not sure yet

I want to personally thank every single person who took the time to read this and my previous post. I want to create one of,if not the best console case out there especially at the price point of $160 USD.

Last edited:

TimeLordTim

Trash Compacter
May 26, 2020
That sounds like a very sensible way of doing low-volume business! I'm pretty new here, but your case looks like exactly what I'm looking for!

One thing that I've noticed is that you've not said anything about a horizontal placement for this case. Is that a possibility, or are you leaving it in the upright position?

Sorakamii

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Apr 3, 2020
That sounds like a very sensible way of doing low-volume business! I'm pretty new here, but your case looks like exactly what I'm looking for!

One thing that I've noticed is that you've not said anything about a horizontal placement for this case. Is that a possibility, or are you leaving it in the upright position?
I never mentioned it because im waiting on the case feet i ordered to arrive with the case. Once i test and see how it looks/feels,ill design my own feet and run with it. I do plan on having a horizontal orientation.

Also, welcome to the forum,i hope you enjoy it as much as i do.

Reactions: TimeLordTim

TimeLordTim

Trash Compacter
May 26, 2020
While the reduction in volume is good, would venting the hot air to the bottom be a good thing? I feel like that would make the thermals worse, since the hot air would just try to rise directly back into the case.

On the other hand, if you turned the power supply 90 degrees the other way, it would act as an intake to supply the other components with fresh air and then the sides of the case would act as exhaust

Sorakamii

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Apr 3, 2020
While the reduction in volume is good, would venting the hot air to the bottom be a good thing? I feel like that would make the thermals worse, since the hot air would just try to rise directly back into the case.

On the other hand, if you turned the power supply 90 degrees the other way, it would act as an intake to supply the other components with fresh air and then the sides of the case would act as exhaust
I think With small cases convection has almost no impact. The air moves where your fans push it.
I'll keep that in mind,I'll need to look into other changes that could be made. I want to,if possible,sell the best console case for the price. What other changes would you like to see?

Shatrod

Cable-Tie Ninja
Dec 6, 2019
Do you have a cutout at the back for the PSU power cable to go through? Is it a panel mount extension? Are you going to include it with the case?

It would be great if all the cables plugged in from just one side. So if someone was to carry it to a lan party or something setup would be easier. Just plop it on the desk and plug everything in the back.

Sorakamii

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Apr 3, 2020
Yes there will be a cutout for the PSU power.
Here is the link to the exact cable that ill be using.

The cutout is indicated by the red circle. I also made a path for it to follow,but there is around 10mm of space behind the motherboard to allow the cable to sit.

Reactions: Shatrod

Sorakamii

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Apr 3, 2020
Getting a new stand 3D printed,i like the design but it would be far to expensive to create this from metal.

Sorakamii

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Apr 3, 2020
Prototype Update : June 03,2020
Looks like the manufacturer will be taking a few extra days to finish my prototype before shipping it out to me. They also didn't have the right thickness i wanted but didn't tell me until i happened to re-read my order and found it. The final product will be made of 3mm 1050 Aluminum,but it looks like this prototype will sadly be using 1.5mm aluminum. I hope this mix up doesn't change your opinions of the final product.

Last edited:

Shatrod

Cable-Tie Ninja
Dec 6, 2019
Prototype Update : June 03,2020
Looks like the manufacturer will be taking a few extra days to finish my prototype before shipping it out to me. They also didn't have the right thickness i wanted but didn't tell me until i happened to re-read my order and found it. The final product will be made of 3mm 1050 Aluminum,but it looks like this prototype will sadly be using 1.5mm aluminum. I hope this mix up doesn't change your opinions of the final product.
Depending on the design this might not be a big deal. Flat panels will be less strong but if you have bends in appropriate places it should still be plenty strong enough. Did the manufacturer tell you if they will be respecting your internal or external dimensions? I would be concerned about the PC hardware not fitting correctly if it is the external dimensions. Also in your pictures most panels look flat. Are you using pem nuts or did you plan to tap a thread directly in the panels?

Sorakamii

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Apr 3, 2020
Depending on the design this might not be a big deal. Flat panels will be less strong but if you have bends in appropriate places it should still be plenty strong enough. Did the manufacturer tell you if they will be respecting your internal or external dimensions? I would be concerned about the PC hardware not fitting correctly if it is the external dimensions. Also in your pictures most panels look flat. Are you using pem nuts or did you plan to tap a thread directly in the panels?
To be honest,they didnt tell me anything. I had sent them all of the necessary files and was basically told,it could work. Im not worried about parts not fitting since i designed it without worrying about the thickness. At most,it would slightly push the motherboard back.i tapped into the panels themselves and had L-Brackets at each of the corners for the screws to fit in. I was just told that i couldn't cancel the too since it was done and actually being shipped out today. Once i get it and do my test fitting,ill go with my original plan of starting up that kickstarter and hoping for the best. I found a better company to get the case made and, good news to everyone interested, the price is going to be dropped from $160 USD. I dont know exactly where i want it yet,but it will be between $130-150. I'll also be changing the L-Bracket design to be something closer to an L-Bar (i just made that word up i think). This should help alot more with stability.

Last edited:

Sorakamii

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Apr 3, 2020
While I'm sitting here designing,i thought that i should update the community on my thoughts. I knows its not professional to do so,but i believe its more important that you all know of the changes that i am making and can actively voice your opinions.
I digress, the update for today is that i want to increase the CPU tower clearance height to 72mm,for more options. In order to do this,i would need to go over the 10L points. Which do you think is more important...Cooling or that 0.25L increase for a case of this concept.

TimeLordTim

Trash Compacter
May 26, 2020
Firstly, I think one of the best parts of builds like this is that the community can see and understand the decisions made in production, and even have input in the decisions. Don't worry too much about being professional.

Is there a specific cooler you have in mind that wouldn't fit in the space allotted for the CPU cooler? Or do you just want to increase the cooler compatibility? In my opinion, the cooler space is fine as is, but if it turns out that the hardware that you want to fit into the case is running too hot then the increase in cooler space is completely justified.

Sorakamii

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Apr 3, 2020
Firstly, I think one of the best parts of builds like this is that the community can see and understand the decisions made in production, and even have input in the decisions. Don't worry too much about being professional.

Is there a specific cooler you have in mind that wouldn't fit in the space allotted for the CPU cooler? Or do you just want to increase the cooler compatibility? In my opinion, the cooler space is fine as is, but if it turns out that the hardware that you want to fit into the case is running too hot then the increase in cooler space is completely justified.
I want this case to be able to have high end hardware in it. Personally,i want a ryzen 9 in there with a Scythe Big Shiuriken 3 in there.

The cooler is 69mm, im just 5mms short and im seriously considering hitting that 10.3L mark for the cooler. My main competition right now is the Node 202 and Sentry 2.0. My case is right in the middle in terms of price and size,but i want something that will seriously push it above the rest of the console cases other than the 4 SSDs that i can slap in here.

TimeLordTim

Trash Compacter
May 26, 2020
Support for a big CPU and cooler like that would definitely be a bonus in my mind, I think that's worth the extra space. Especially considering your competition. Cases like the Sliger Console and the various Salvo cases won't fit the kind of hardware you're looking support which is a plus. I'd suggest taking a look at the Sliger Conswole though, since that case has a 75mm CPU cooler clearance and specifically mentions the Scythe Big Shuriken 3 as compatible. As for the Node 202 and the Sentry 2.0, the first is known for bad thermals and the second was only produced as a special limited run, so I think you'll fine competition-wise there.

The most direct competitor you'll have is the Sliger Conswole, I think, and your planned price undercuts theirs by a large margin without the space for 4 SSDs that you have. (Which, by the way, is pretty freaking incredible).

Sorakamii

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Apr 3, 2020
Support for a big CPU and cooler like that would definitely be a bonus in my mind, I think that's worth the extra space. Especially considering your competition. Cases like the Sliger Console and the various Salvo cases won't fit the kind of hardware you're looking support which is a plus. I'd suggest taking a look at the Sliger Conswole though, since that case has a 75mm CPU cooler clearance and specifically mentions the Scythe Big Shuriken 3 as compatible. As for the Node 202 and the Sentry 2.0, the first is known for bad thermals and the second was only produced as a special limited run, so I think you'll fine competition-wise there.

The most direct competitor you'll have is the Sliger Conswole, I think, and your planned price undercuts theirs by a large margin without the space for 4 SSDs that you have. (Which, by the way, is pretty freaking incredible).
Thank you again for your kind words and awesome recommendations.

Sorakamii

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Apr 3, 2020
While taking some more time to talk to talk to the manufacturing company i want,and actually setting up the excel spreadsheet i need to actually track my sales,i came to a very disappointing conclusion. If i want to keep the color options I wouldnt be able to sustain it. Before i even consider taking away the customization that i promised to myself and the community,I'm going to look around for other options.