SFF Network SilverStone's PCIe to M.2 Range Expands

Discussion in 'News' started by confusis, Sep 28, 2018.

1. confusis

confusis John Morrison. Writer, Editor, Awesome Person.
    Thread Starter Site Staff LuxIndustries

TechPowerup recently revealed that Silverstone has launched two of their PCIe to M.2 adapters – the ECM23 and ECM25. While we saw these at Computex 2018, it’s great to see them finally ready for retail.

The ECM23 is a ...

Read more here.

Phuncz and ChinStrap like this.
  2. chx

chx Airflow Optimizer
    Silver Supporter

#2 chx, Sep 29, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2018
    You forgot to mention the ECM25 fits 1U chassis! That's huge. OTOH it doesn't support 22110 length??? When the Intel Optane and the Seagate Nytro disks are 22110?? Especially given how this is obviously a server part... that's not the wisest design decision. See https://www.servethehome.com/intel-optane-905p-hits-1-5tb-finally-and-380gb-m-2-specs-up/ here. And there would be space -- there's a full 47mm from the PCI slot cover to the edge connector where this adapter starts so lengthening by 30mm in that direction would have been rather easy and not conflict with anything. https://www.moxa.com/edit_pic/CP_104EL_dimensions.jpg

http://www.holchips.com/series_P16NM01.html See?

Soul_Est likes this.
  3. confusis

I get the feeling that this unit is definitely aimed at consumers, hence the lack of support for the aforementioned, rather expensive, drives. @SilverStone would be better placed to comment on your thoughts - I'm just reporting the news, @chx :)

4. chx

chx Airflow Optimizer
    Silver Supporter

Yeah but 1U support is big news :)

5. confusis

It is for ServeTheHome :p I don't know of any SFF cases that specify they are 1U compatible :) (although I do have some server plans in the works for my own home rack that may be SFF in nature..)

6. chx

chx Airflow Optimizer
    Silver Supporter

7. Therandomness

Therandomness Cable-Tie Ninja

Aww, what about the other way around?

8. Therandomness

Therandomness Cable-Tie Ninja

9. Phuncz

Phuncz Lord of the Boards
    Moderator Gold Supporter SFF Purist

I've been waiting for the ECM23 ever since the reveal at Computex, it's an excellent fit for the In Win Chopin to add NVMe storage without modding.

10. chx

chx Airflow Optimizer
    Silver Supporter

11. Phuncz

Phuncz Lord of the Boards
    Moderator Gold Supporter SFF Purist

12. LeDelmo

LeDelmo Average Stuffer

I posted this in another thread. But, for anyone interested. I contacted SilverStone about these and they E-mailed me back stating they will be available this December. But, I didn't get a price.

Phuncz likes this.
  13. SilverStone

SilverStone Caliper Novice
    SilverStone

At the time of ECM25's development, commercially available bare 22110 M.2 SSDs were nearly non-existent. There was also the increased difficulty and cost associated with longer trace required from M.2 slot to PCIe slot if we increased the length of ECM25 to accommodate 22110. However, we are constantly monitoring the market trend of these things, so if availability improves or demand for this increases, we'll for sure release one!

Soul_Est likes this.
  14. SilverStone

SilverStone Caliper Novice
    SilverStone

Hi everyone, since we are here already, let's get more of your feedbacks before we proceed. For the future 1U adapter card that can accept 22110 M.2 SSD, are there any additional requirement / features you'd like to see? Should we make it also compatible with the wider 30.5mm format? (but this may increase height over 1U).

15. chx

chx Airflow Optimizer
    Silver Supporter

I thought 30.5mm was extremely rare with like two models, one from Samsung and one from Adata?