SFF.Network Silverstone’s Passive SFX-L PSU launched !

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016
I hope, if i choose to buy that one, that it doesnt. I would even consider the 800w if that would make it quieter, which doesnt seem to be... :|

Is your version the 1st or the 2nd? They said that they changed to fans.
they changed the power profile of the fan controller (somehow by hardware or something) but yeah mine's the revised version

also it's not as irritating to me ._. i go to sleep with that sound

Walderstorn

Average Stuffer
Apr 29, 2018
I got used to being 2 meters away from my pc and that will change to being 30 cm from it so i am trying to find a good sfx-l psu but seems noise is a constant problem in most opinions i see.

BaK

King of Cable Management
Bronze Supporter
May 17, 2016
Basically any air-cooled PSU can be a passive PSU if it's downrated enough so the components stay within their thermal limits without a cooler. This is "basically" (*) the SX800-LTI internally that's downrated so it's able to sustain this load. Another SFX-L PSU wouldn't even have been possible without a high efficiency, Silverstone said to us in the past. Maybe if enough of these sell, an SFX version could be possible but I'd be amazed if it would be rated over 300W.

(*) mind you that the entire enclosure is made of much thicker aluminium so it can't be an exact 1:1, but it probably has a large amount of similar electrical components.
Thanx for the complement!
Passive 300W SFX PSU would be great and powerful enough for much of builds, I hope they sell lots of these NJ450-SXL!

Mackan

Airflow Optimizer
Jun 2, 2016
I found this on SilverStone's facebook page:

It should start popping up in stores (Asia) in a couple of weeks and be widely available by the end of June or early July.

In other words, it seems we can get our hands on it quite soon.

Reactions: Phuncz

QuantumBraced

Master of Cramming
Mar 9, 2017
Can't wait for reviews, I hope there is no coil whine...

Maybe a stupid question, but if they can make this, why can't they make a 450W passive external power brick of the same size?

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
Original poster
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Considering it's based on the SX800-LTI which costs even more (in my part of Europe), I think that's a good price :)
Maybe not for the wattage but there's no other SFX-L passive PSU in existence. The only thing coming close is a combination of AC-DC and DC-DC that'll easily run into the same price bracket.

Reactions: aquelito

el01

King of Cable Management
Jun 4, 2018
What I imagine is that SeaSonic will step into the fanless SFX market later as well, given their experience with fanless parts. I wonder if SeaSonic has catching up to do with downsizing of AC/DC transformers, though.

aquelito

King of Cable Management
Piccolo PC
Feb 16, 2016
Maybe not for the wattage but there's no other SFX-L passive PSU in existence. The only thing coming close is a combination of AC-DC and DC-DC that'll easily run into the same price bracket.

That's entirely true !

- Combo Hdplex 400W AC-DC and DC-ATX : 400W for $198
- Combo Meanwell RPS-400-24C and Hdplex DC-ATX : 400W pour $180

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017

Confusis, I expected more of you. You know that teaser pictures for an article coming in any more than 3 seconds is a violation of intergalactic law. Shame, shame. Give me the evidence so I can catalog it. The evidence has the right to remain silent... ;)

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
@Windfall - I must cave to the masses and post teaser images to alllllll the social media weeks, nay, months before something is published.

In reality, I'm just so excited to test this beast :)

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
@Windfall - I must cave to the masses and post teaser images to alllllll the social media weeks, nay, months before something is published.

In reality, I'm just so excited to test this beast :)

Did you appreciate the "evidence has the right to remain silent" joke? I'm super proud of it for some odd reason...