Silverstone SX750-PT is loud, hard to install, has compatibility issues.

Sampsy

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
New User
Dec 18, 2020
So I'm not a PSU reviewer and have no way of evaluating the electrical performance of the Silverstone SFX-750 PT. But I can evaluate the noise, ease of installation and importantly compatibility with the Ncase M1 and it performs very poorly on all fronts.

Compatibility:

Be warned that if you want the PSU to intake from the right hand side of the case and exhausting out the top the power plug will be towards the front of the case. This doesn't leave enough room to plug in the internal extension lead the Ncase M1 comes with. See
Noise:

So the PSU is marketed as having a "Silent running 92mm dual ball bearing fan with minimum 0dBA". There was even a warning around the PSU stating the fan won't spin when the load is below a certain level.

Well either that isn't true or there's some serious QA issue with the initial batch of PSUs. With my PC at idle in a cold room the PSU fan is only a tad quieter than GPU fans running at 100%. It's really loud - by far the loudest component in my PC (at idle anyway). I tried running Heaven and Prime 95 at the same time to load up my system and as far as I could tell the PSU noise didn't change at all. So it seems like maybe the fan is stuck on 100% all the time.

What's more the PSU also produces really loud coil whine.

I imagine this might be fixed in the future, and it also might just be affecting some units. There are others with the same issue I've seen on reddit but I don't any data on it or anything. Just be warned.

Ease of Installation:

As with my Silverstone 650-G the cables are awful. They are wrapped in very stiff black plastic which makes routing them really difficult. Many of them also have unnecessary extra leads running from them which means even more stiff cabling you have to deal with. For example all the PCI-E cables have an extra daisy chained header which nobody should even use as it overloads the cables.

Frankly they aren't fit for purpose in an SFX PSU - especially not a high-end one as this is supposed to be.

Summary:

Again, I'm not a PSU reviewer. Maybe the electrical performance is out of this world - I have no way of evaluating that. But from what I can tell it's not a good PSU and if you're looking for a PSU to go in an Ncase M1 in particular you should look elsewhere.

I'll be returning mine and will continue waiting for a Corsair SF750.

Epos7

Trash Compacter
Aug 24, 2019
That's a bummer. When I first built in my NCASE, I used a Silverstone SFX-L PSU. It had noise issues as well - the fan wasn't loud due to spinning fast, but had a clicking noise that was really annoying. I RMAed it and the replacement was worse. Since then I've stuck with Corsair SF PSUs and had better results.

Reactions: thelaughingman
D

Deleted member 23607

So I'm not a PSU reviewer and have no way of evaluating the electrical performance of the Silverstone SFX-750 PT. But I can evaluate the noise, ease of installation and importantly compatibility with the Ncase M1 and it performs very poorly on all fronts.

Compatibility:

Be warned that if you want the PSU to intake from the right hand side of the case and exhausting out the top the power plug will be towards the front of the case. This doesn't leave enough room to plug in the internal extension lead the Ncase M1 comes with. See
Noise:

So the PSU is marketed as having a "Silent running 92mm dual ball bearing fan with minimum 0dBA". There was even a warning around the PSU stating the fan won't spin when the load is below a certain level.

Well either that isn't true or there's some serious QA issue with the initial batch of PSUs. With my PC at idle in a cold room the PSU fan is only a tad quieter than GPU fans running at 100%. It's really loud - by far the loudest component in my PC (at idle anyway). I tried running Heaven and Prime 95 at the same time to load up my system and as far as I could tell the PSU noise didn't change at all. So it seems like maybe the fan is stuck on 100% all the time.

I imagine this might be fixed in the future, and it also might just be affecting some units. There are others with the same issue I've seen on reddit but I don't any data on it or anything. Just be warned.

Ease of Installation:

As with my Silverstone 650-G the cables are awful. They are wrapped in very stiff black plastic which makes routing them really difficult. Many of them also have unnecessary extra leads running from them which means even more stiff cabling you have to deal with. For example all the PCI-E cables have an extra daisy chained header which nobody should even use as it overloads the cables.

Frankly they aren't fit for purpose in an SFX PSU - especially not a high-end one as this is supposed to be.

Summary:

Again, I'm not a PSU reviewer. Maybe the electrical performance is out of this world - I have no way of evaluating that. But from what I can tell it's not a good PSU and if you're looking for a PSU to go in an Ncase M1 in particular you should look elsewhere.

That's interesting. Many thanks to you for putting this in an easy copypastable format. Do you mind if I send this to a few people?

Also, I believe V6 non.1 has the PSU cable left-angle, so the PSU can be mounted fan out if you're a V6 non.1 owner.

As for the noise, seems all the new Silverstone units, the 750W and 1000W alike have some fan control issue. Someone claimed it was due to the fan controller not slowing down the fan and leaving it at its highest, meaning until you fully shut off the system the fan will whine away at 100%. I have yet to verify this but if you have the capability to test this could you confirm/deny the statement?

Gillingham

Efficiency Noob
May 30, 2019
I have the same issues, I ordered a replacement PSU cable that is at the opposite angle so I dont have to bend mine as much.

Also confirming the fan speed issue, I emailed silverstone support and they said its a bad fan controller, it seems to be a _really_ widespread issue from amazon and other forums like this. They also said they wont have replacement stock for another week or two, so hopefully they're working on a V1.1 or something.

Reactions: thelaughingman
D

Deleted member 23607

Compatibility:

Noise:

Ease of Installation:

Summary:

Hey, just wondering something. Is that a 25mm Noctua between the radiator and side of the case? How'd you do that?

Sampsy

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
New User
Dec 18, 2020
That's interesting. Many thanks to you for putting this in an easy copypastable format. Do you mind if I send this to a few people?

Also, I believe V6 non.1 has the PSU cable left-angle, so the PSU can be mounted fan out if you're a V6 non.1 owner.

As for the noise, seems all the new Silverstone units, the 750W and 1000W alike have some fan control issue. Someone claimed it was due to the fan controller not slowing down the fan and leaving it at its highest, meaning until you fully shut off the system the fan will whine away at 100%. I have yet to verify this but if you have the capability to test this could you confirm/deny the statement?

Send it to whoever you like.

Yeah if you can get your hands on a left-angled cable it wouldn't be a problem.

I can't test anything now as I've already sent it back. But yes as far as I could tell the fan was at 100% all of the time when the system was running.

Hey, just wondering something. Is that a 25mm Noctua between the radiator and side of the case? How'd you do that?

Yeah I have Noctua A12x25 fans in between the rad and the side of the case. You just use long screws which pass through the case, through the fan and into the rad.

The advantage is that I don't have to worry about any cables inside the case hitting the fans which is a problem as I'm stuck with a Silverstone SX650-G for now which has the same awful stiff cables as the SX750-PT which are really hard to manage. The disadvantage is the tubes have to make a tighter turn, which isn't ideal but is the best I can do for now.

D

Deleted member 23607

Send it to whoever you like.

Yeah if you can get your hands on a left-angled cable it wouldn't be a problem.

I can't test anything now as I've already sent it back. But yes as far as I could tell the fan was at 100% all of the time when the system was running.

Yeah I have Noctua A12x25 fans in between the rad and the side of the case. You just use long screws which pass through the case, through the fan and into the rad.

The advantage is that I don't have to worry about any cables inside the case hitting the fans which is a problem as I'm stuck with a Silverstone SX650-G for now which has the same awful stiff cables as the SX750-PT which are really hard to manage. The disadvantage is the tubes have to make a tighter turn, which isn't ideal but is the best I can do for now.

Ah got it. I'm guessing those tubes are very much bent, then.

Best of luck to you!

smitty2k1

King of Cable Management
Dec 3, 2016
IIRC the early versions of the NCASE actually came with the left side power cable but they switched to right side once they found a supplier. At least I think my v1 has a left side power cable.

D

Deleted member 23607

IIRC the early versions of the NCASE actually came with the left side power cable but they switched to right side once they found a supplier. At least I think my v1 has a left side power cable.

Should be. Necere said V2-V6.0 are right-angle, then back to left-angle for the V6.1.

Sampsy

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
New User
Dec 18, 2020
Ah got it. I'm guessing those tubes are very much bent, then.

Best of luck to you!

Just got a SF750 direct from corsair today. The cables are much easier to manipulate so I've managed to move them out of the way and have now switched the fans to be on the inside as well no that colliding with cables isn't an issue.

The only downside is now there is no fan noise whatsoever so now I'm left with pump noise. It's obviously quieter but I find it more annoying than the fan noise tbh so I might set some of my Noctuas to idle at 1k or so rather than switching off entirely.