Silverstone SG13B X99 build

johannbl

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Jan 15, 2016
This build was inspired by Shawn Faherty's Ncase build so thank you for documenting it. This is my first SFF machine and budget had a strong influence in this build. For this reason, there are things that I would have done differently and I'm considering a GPU (980ti?) upgrade, along with a PSU to support it. (Silverstone SFX 600w)

Part list:
  • Silverstone SG13B
  • i7-5820k currently running at 4.3ghz
  • AsRock x99e-ITX/ac
  • Enermax Liqtech 120x AIO cpu cooler
  • 2x G.Skill 16gb DDR4-3200 15-15-15-35
  • Gigabyte GTX970 OC edition (blower type card)
  • Silverstone SFX 450w
  • Plextor 256gb M.2 ssd
  • Sandisk 960gb Ultra II ssd and Sandisk 256gb Ultra.

I went with the 5820k because I already had one. I have considered the 6700k for its lower power consumption and better single threading performance but I figured the upgrade wasn't worth the trouble and the asrock board seemed nice.

As you probably know, the x99e-ITX/ac has a different cooler mount than most X99 boards. The "narrow ILM" has 4 holes forming a 56mm x 94mm rectangle making it closer to the AMD mount (which is 48mm x 96mm). Some forum post somewhere speculates that mounting the cooler with an AMD bracket using tie wraps may work. That would be impossible because the holes for the mount do not go through the motherboard so there would be no way to attach the tie wraps. That said, it's possible to modify an AMD bracket. This is what I did. I cannot recommend doing this but it's working for me. I bent the AMD brackets slightly and I had to grind the inside with a dremel to compensate for the extra length of the AMD bracket but it fits and it's solid.

There is another issue that had to be overcome with this motherboard. It did not support the 16gb ram sticks until the BIOS was updated. So in order to complete this build, I had to use another stick of ram just so I could access the out of date BIOS to update it.

Finally, I got lucky with the size of the cooler. It barely fits. It touches one of the sata input on the side of the motherboard.

In the end I like the SG13, it's small and very lightweight and It's cheap. The build quality does support a lot from this however. There's a lot of room for improvement here, hopefully there's more to come.

johannbl

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Jan 15, 2016
I'm not an expert but I like the case so far, It has everything I need for this build and even though I'm not finished with this aspect of the build, it seems to overclock very well. However It's a bit annoying that the less standard cpu cooler mount limits your options.

I saw the video of your build where you talk about the 20mm fan that never runs unless the temps get really high, is it simply a PWM connected in its own slot on the motherboard or did you use something else to control it? I might give this approach a try with the small that came with the board.

Vittra

Airflow Optimizer
May 11, 2015
Good, clean build. I would recommend waiting for the Silverstone 650W SFX PSU personally. 92mm fan + 50W extra of breathing room.

I went with the 5820k because I already had one. I have considered the 6700k for its lower power consumption and better single threading performance but I figured the upgrade wasn't worth the trouble and the asrock board seemed nice.

There is another issue that had to be overcome with this motherboard. It did not support the 16gb ram sticks until the BIOS was updated. So in order to complete this build, I had to use another stick of ram just so I could access the out of date BIOS to update it.

1) The Z170 itx boards are all lackluster, so while the 6700K is a really nice part (4.0ghz base 4.2ghz boost!), there is no point going itx this gen.

2) This is one of many reasons why I like Asus feature of being able to update directly from a USB stick in the designated USB port. I've made use of this for UEFI updates for CPUs and RAM a few times now. Of course, there is no X99 itx option, so not particularly useful here ;)

Tek Everything

Cable-Tie Ninja
Dec 25, 2015
tekeverything.com
I'm not an expert but I like the case so far, It has everything I need for this build and even though I'm not finished with this aspect of the build, it seems to overclock very well. However It's a bit annoying that the less standard cpu cooler mount limits your options.

I saw the video of your build where you talk about the 20mm fan that never runs unless the temps get really high, is it simply a PWM connected in its own slot on the motherboard or did you use something else to control it? I might give this approach a try with the small that came with the board.

Yes, I used the Asus mobo fan controller to keep it completely off under 70 degrees C.

johannbl

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Jan 15, 2016
Good, clean build. I would recommend waiting for the Silverstone 650W SFX PSU personally. 92mm fan + 50W extra of breathing room.

1) The Z170 itx boards are all lackluster, so while the 6700K is a really nice part (4.0ghz base 4.2ghz boost!), there is no point going itx this gen.

2) This is one of many reasons why I like Asus feature of being able to update directly from a USB stick in the designated USB port. I've made use of this for UEFI updates for CPUs and RAM a few times now. Of course, there is no X99 itx option, so not particularly useful here ;)

Thanks for all this information.. I wish I was able to update the bios that way.

Yes, I used the Asus mobo fan controller to keep it completely off under 70 degrees C.

Great, I will give this a try. Asrock's bios offers this kind of option but I think the slowest a fan can run is 20% of full power. I'm not sure if I can have it completely off until a certain threshold.

I also need to try rotating the PSU 180 degree. I was worried about noise but the system is pretty quiet so far.

Last edited: