Production FormD T1 Classic (READ FIRST POST)

Increase volume from 9.8L to 10.5L to support MSI Suprim X 30XX?

• Yes, worth the trade off to be more compatible with components

Votes: 116 24.7%
  • No, not worth it b/c it is not better than the ROG 30XX, which fits now at <10L

Votes: 353 75.3%

• Total voters

Brude27

Master of Cramming
Jun 21, 2018
While our detectives are finding a solution to which 240mm fits... here I am wondering how any of you can stand the pump noise from any AIO, and ask you to please post your solutions to removing pump noise entirely. I recognize it's unreasonable to not be able to tolerate the slight high pitch hum at idle, but it seriously grates on my nerves, which is why I've been a proponent of air cooling for so long. I have an H60, which I recognize doesn't have pump speed control, but ffs there has to be something better than that, right?!

Luke NK

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Nov 17, 2019
While our detectives are finding a solution to which 240mm fits... here I am wondering how any of you can stand the pump noise from any AIO, and ask you to please post your solutions to removing pump noise entirely. I recognize it's unreasonable to not be able to tolerate the slight high pitch hum at idle, but it seriously grates on my nerves, which is why I've been a proponent of air cooling for so long. I have an H60, which I recognize doesn't have pump speed control, but ffs there has to be something better than that, right?!

What about this?

Can't make it fit into the T1 but a viable option for water cooling if pump noise is a concern I guess. Haven't tested myself.

Reactions: Brude27

DrHudacris

King of Cable Management
Jul 20, 2019

Swiftech apogee drive II will fit on 2 slot GPU mode. I use one in my ghost, and it's very quiet. I don't have experience with the DCLT pump in the LT240, but optimumtech uses it in his ghost build and T1, and I can only assume it's relatively quiet as well, since Ali is pretty obsessed with silent gaming.

In terms of detective work, I saw mention of 312mm being the length limit of radiators, but the C14 power connector at the rear probably consumes about 1 inch space, so probably just ~287mm.

chinyang

Trash Compacter
Oct 17, 2018

I was using the H60 initially but both the pump noise and the Corsair fan is bothering me because I work in a quiet room, usually not listening to any music etc.. I’m quite pleased when I switched to L12S, solved both the pump n fan noise.

That’s why I like T1 out of the box L12S support with 120mm aio support in case i need it in the future

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
Swiftech apogee drive II will fit on 2 slot GPU mode. I use one in my ghost, and it's very quiet. I don't have experience with the DCLT pump in the LT240, but optimumtech uses it in his ghost build and T1, and I can only assume it's relatively quiet as well, since Ali is pretty obsessed with silent gaming.

In terms of detective work, I saw mention of 312mm being the length limit of radiators, but the C14 power connector at the rear probably consumes about 1 inch space, so probably just ~287mm.
I am also using the Apogee Drive II in my Ghost and have the pump set from 25-50% and I don't hear it.

Wahaha360

a.k.a W360
Original poster
SFFLAB
NCASE
SSUPD
Feb 23, 2015
Goatee , DrHudacris, SSJ4

Based on the images posted, this Coolworld 240 radiator has round pipes instead of rectangular pipes like the LT240, which = less contact surface to the fins = less area to dissipate heat = less efficient at cooling.

This Coolworld 240 should perform worse than LT240, how much worse requires testing.

SSJ4, I understand the problem getting the LT240 in Australia, if you are willing to wait until Computex, there will be more options.

Brude27

Master of Cramming
Jun 21, 2018
Thanks @LkNk @DrHudacris @rfarmer for your suggestions! I'm always game to try new things, but I'm also of the same mind of:
I was using the H60 initially but both the pump noise and the Corsair fan is bothering me because I work in a quiet room, usually not listening to any music etc.. I’m quite pleased when I switched to L12S, solved both the pump n fan noise.

That’s why I like T1 out of the box L12S support with 120mm aio support in case i need it in the future
I'm all about the L12S support, and still having the option to use a 120 if I can find a silent solution. :)

Reactions: mfgillia

notbitcoin

Average Stuffer
Aug 3, 2019
I don't have experience with the DCLT pump in the LT240, but optimumtech uses it in his ghost build and T1, and I can only assume it's relatively quiet as well, since Ali is pretty obsessed with silent gaming.
LT pump noise breaks down like this for me (in a primo p115ea case)-
  • minimum speed for me starts at 23%, and from 23% to ~55% speed the noise is effectively silent (with the side panel on) to about the same dba as a12x25 fans at 30% rpm (negligibly audible)
  • 55-70% is when the pump starts to become audible if case is sitting on desk, but it still should be tolerable to most people
  • ~70%+ it's more noticeable because the tone of the noise changes to something more piercing/whirring
  • and then at 100%, the whirring noise is more pronounced, with the actual dba comparable to an a12x25 at ~65% speed (if you run that fan at full bore, it will unquestionably be louder than the pump at 100% though)
@Brude27 i thought i was going to hate going to water cooling/a pump for the T1, but the LT has turned out to be quieter (and obviously more effective) than any of the 92mm tower coolers that i previously used. now i can hold the pump/fans at 30% until 55c, and they rarely ever speed up under normal usage on a 5ghz 9700k. it's at the point where even if i don't ever get a T1 (aka the only reason for buying it), i'll still be happy with the purchase.

Last edited:

DrHudacris

King of Cable Management
Jul 20, 2019
Based on the images posted, this Coolworld 240 radiator has round pipes instead of rectangular pipes like the LT240, which = less contact surface to the fins = less area to dissipate heat = less efficient at cooling.

This Coolworld 240 should perform worse than LT240, how much worse requires testing.

The listings for this radiator mentions that the the tubes have a helical/spiral capillary which mitigate the surface area disadvantage compared to rectangular tubes.

Of course, it could be complete bullshit, as a spiral tube inside a larger cylindrical tube seems like it would be difficult to manufacture.

Reactions: Goatee

Wyd4

Cable-Tie Ninja
Oct 21, 2018
LT pump noise breaks down like this for me (in a primo p115ea case)-
  • minimum speed for me starts at 23%, and from 23% to ~55% speed the noise is effectively silent (with the side panel on) to about the same dba as a12x25 fans at 30% rpm (negligibly audible)
  • 55-70% is when the pump starts to become audible if case is sitting on desk, but it still should be tolerable to most people
  • ~70%+ it's more noticeable because the tone of the noise changes to something more piercing/whirring
  • and then at 100%, the whirring noise is more pronounced, with the actual dba comparable to an a12x25 at ~65% speed (if you run that fan at full bore, it will unquestionably be louder than the pump at 100% though)
@Brude27 i thought i was going to hate going to water cooling/a pump for the T1, but the LT has turned out to be quieter (and obviously more effective) than any of the 92mm tower coolers that i previously used. now i can hold the pump/fans at 30% until 55c, and they rarely ever speed up under normal usage on a 5ghz 9700k. it's at the point where even if i don't ever get a T1 (aka the only reason for buying it), i'll still be happy with the purchase.

I second this and was going to post similar. One thing to note though is the pump is not PWM, so you will need to set your mobo to DC for that header or the pump will run at 100% at all times which is eye twitch inducing.

I run my pump at around 25% at idle and up to 45% to cover spikes in temps.

From there it was just a matter of trial and error with the fan curve to keep the pump noise under the a12x25s in my ncase. I actually run 2 aio's in my ncase and run both of the pumps off one header and the fans off another and manage all of them in Argus Monitor using both gpu and cpu temps (whichever is greater averaged over 15 seconds) to ramp up/down fans and pumps together. So basically if my CPU is running hot, my gpu runs very cold haha and visa versa.

However with the noctua fans and controlling the pumps rpm, its very very quiet still. Almost inaudible at idle and under 4k gaming load I can only just start to hear the fans ramp up with GPU and CPU temps in the 50's to low 60s.

Brude27

Master of Cramming
Jun 21, 2018
It’s the idle noise I take issue with. If I’m gaming, I have my headphones on and the fans ramping up don’t bother me. But it’s that idle noise first thing in the morning where I’m waiting for my coffee to brew that makes it tough to break away from air haha. Thank you all for your suggestions, though! I think I’m just an unreasonable air cooling guy. ??‍♂️

Reactions: chinyang

Thermo

Caliper Novice
Feb 11, 2020
Thanks for that mate. Price is a little better than from Alphacool itself. I got a PM from another helpful user who found a shop in Melbourne. Must be an business IT supplier because I have never heard of em. Still going to be around the $200AUD mark. Which is quite alot for an AIO.

I have found Fractal Kelvin T12 for $79AUD. Which would get me the pumpblock tubing and fittings. Leaving $120 budget for a radiator. But yeh. As I said. I'd rather keep with what the OP says todo because even product specifications can be deceiving.

you're not kidding and the shipping prices from alphacool are tough to swallow... 60 usd to ship their GPU waterblock to Taiwan. I'm probably going to bite the bullet though as it seems no one carries the specific one I need for my non-reference card. *Note to self, buy reference from now on.*

Reactions: SSJ4 and rfarmer

stellarwind

Efficiency Noob
Feb 11, 2020
Thanks for that mate. Price is a little better than from Alphacool itself. I got a PM from another helpful user who found a shop in Melbourne. Must be an business IT supplier because I have never heard of em. Still going to be around the $200AUD mark. Which is quite alot for an AIO.

I have found Fractal Kelvin T12 for $79AUD. Which would get me the pumpblock tubing and fittings. Leaving $120 budget for a radiator. But yeh. As I said. I'd rather keep with what the OP says todo because even product specifications can be deceiving.

What was that store? I am based in Melbourne and looking for one of those units, too.

SSJ4

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 10, 2020
www.ospreygaming.com.au
What was that store? I am based in Melbourne and looking for one of those units, too.

But it now says sold out. Note the price doesnt include TAX. Another user ordered one so we will see if it turns up.

Thermo

Caliper Novice
Feb 11, 2020
It’s the idle noise I take issue with. If I’m gaming, I have my headphones on and the fans ramping up don’t bother me. But it’s that idle noise first thing in the morning where I’m waiting for my coffee to brew that makes it tough to break away from air haha. Thank you all for your suggestions, though! I think I’m just an unreasonable air cooling guy. ??‍♂️
I used to just put my computers on sound proof foam blocks and put a thin slice of the same material on the side panel (avoiding air openings of course) that faced me... but I haven't had a computer I would consider that loud since I was in college (I don't think this would work in these sub 10L cases however). I also hide the cases behind one of my monitors which helps baffle the sound a bit too. Recently on one of my computers I use for work, I use air cooling with a ton of huge case fans and it's by far my most quiet pc I own (compared to my AIO computers). I haven't had a PC with 100% water cooling before though. I'm really considering it for the T1... might be a bad idea to try on such a small PC, but I figure soft tubing will make it less painful. That said, seems air-cooling has come a long way since the 1990's and early 2000's.

SSJ4

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 10, 2020
www.ospreygaming.com.au
SSJ4, I understand the problem getting the LT240 in Australia, if you are willing to wait until Computex, there will be more options.
Thanks OP. That's very cool of you to give me a hint of things to come.

Honestly. The hunt and troubling shooting aspect of SFF is a big attraction for me. Being an Industrial Designer tickering and finding ways to make things work is my life. So while it's annoying I cant just buy a LT240 for a fair price it's fun brainstorming other solutions.

Speaking of other solutions.

The older Ek SE240 is 280x120x26mm the current model is 28mm thick. So you would need to find NOS or a used one.

This unit is 10mm longer than the LT240 which might stop it from fitting.

But if it's not too long. Going by OT video where he shoves in a 30mm rad with 2 slim fans. I am inclined to thick a 26mm rad isn't going to be an issue. It's also 22fpi not 16fpi like the LT240

Another note. I am planning on mounting my radiator what ever it ends up being like OT with the fans between the rad and panel. That way i don't have to worry about clearance of tubes and cables on the fans.

Wahaha360

a.k.a W360
Original poster
SFFLAB
NCASE
SSUPD
Feb 23, 2015
One thing to note though is the pump is not PWM, so you will need to set your mobo to DC for that header or the pump will run at 100% at all times which is eye twitch inducing.

This is one of the main reasons I want Alphacool to change the LT240. PWM on this pump should be there.

The mounting bracket is also no good.

So here is my hybrid 240AIO idea:
1. LT240 25mm thick radiator *with better paint quality or leave the copper fins copper, black framing
2. Noctua Secufirm2 mounting brackets
3, Remove QDC and add G1/4 flow indicator
4. 10mm ID / 13mm OD tubes that are not shinny black (shiny black triggers my OCD)
5. DC-LT with PWM or EK-SPC pump with PWM
6. Noctua fans (not sure industrial, redux or the new sterrox, depends on price vs. performance)

Last edited: