Production FormD T1 Classic (READ FIRST POST)

Increase volume from 9.8L to 10.5L to support MSI Suprim X 30XX?

• Yes, worth the trade off to be more compatible with components

Votes: 116 24.7%
  • No, not worth it b/c it is not better than the ROG 30XX, which fits now at <10L

Votes: 353 75.3%

• Total voters

pwnedundies

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 9, 2019
man, some days I think I should just dump the 240 radiator support or remove it from spec like a secret feature.

I really need to create a 120 radiator kit that’s better than all these 240mm aluminum radiator kits.
I can only imagine the beauty of a full copper radiator. Not sure it's actually practical or possible though

Reactions: PBJ

madbrayniak

Caliper Novice
Jun 23, 2018
240 rad support, seems to be ver contentious for some because it is so limited in support. I think a 120 is enough for the majority of us.
The sides aren't switched. The case is just flipped upside down
man, some days I think I should just dump the 240 radiator support or remove it from spec like a secret feature.

I really need to create a 120 radiator kit that’s better than all these 240mm aluminum radiator kits.

paulesko

Master of Cramming
Jul 31, 2019
Sorry duplicated message. The black and copper looks great in my opinion, and it costs 43 euros incl. shipment. looks nice. Also its just 120mm wide, so it should fit

Last edited:

ExplodingWaffle101

SFF Lingo Aficionado
May 11, 2018
that thing looks like it has a pretty nice fpi as well (couldnt be bothered to count). These things do need testing to see if they are worth it tho: pictures arent the be all and end all of quality and qc.

hetvler

Cable-Tie Ninja
Aug 13, 2019
that thing looks like it has a pretty nice fpi as well (couldnt be bothered to count). These things do need testing to see if they are worth it tho: pictures arent the be all and end all of quality and qc.

I counted 50ish on the 120mm. Not sure what is considered good or bad so I'll withhold judgment there.

Poblopuablo

King of Cable Management
Jan 14, 2018
Well 120mm is ~4.7inches. and 50fins/4.7in is ~11fins per inch. (I assume that's how the calculation is done)

unless you only calculate the fins where the fan itself would be. Fan diameter is about 105mm. Thus coming out to about 12 fins per inch. But I don't think that's the correct method.

paulesko

Master of Cramming
Jul 31, 2019
It would be interesting to see how it behaves. I can buy one to test it against the stock eisbaer one and a nemesis gts I have but not now because it would arrive on the 8th of November and I won't be at home, so it has to be mid November when I come back.

I don't know much about radiators, but it has a different layout, normal rads have a different design in the fins don't they? This one looks like it has straight rectangular fins perpendicular to the pipes, and other rads have a zigzag design on the fins which could probably give more area for disipation... I don't know what the f. I'm talking about though ? so maybe someone can give us a better insight before throwing some bucks away.

Reactions: PBJ

paulesko

Master of Cramming
Jul 31, 2019
One thing that surprised me about the eisbaer radiator is that the depth of the core is the same than the tx240 (16mm). This aliexpress radiator seems to have a much thicker core into the same 25mm

incunabula

Average Stuffer
Jun 14, 2019
Reactions: paulesko

Allhopeforhumanity

Master of Cramming
May 1, 2017
That rad looks to have round channels. Worth checking, as that will hinder performance pretty dramatically.

That entirely depends on how the fins are attached and the flow rate of the fluid. Proper reflow solder or conformal braising should allow the fins to be attached just as uniformly to a round channel as flat/square one; basically the same way as every high end GPU fin array is attached to the heat pipes. Round channels are also rather beneficial from a pressure drop perspective allowing you to run a smaller pump. I'm not saying that this particular model is a quality one, but just that round channels shouldn't necessarily be a deal breaker on principle.

Reactions: paulesko

incunabula

Average Stuffer
Jun 14, 2019
That entirely depends on how the fins are attached and the flow rate of the fluid. Proper reflow solder or conformal braising should allow the fins to be attached just as uniformly to a round channel as flat/square one; basically the same way as every high end GPU fin array is attached to the heat pipes. Round channels are also rather beneficial from a pressure drop perspective allowing you to run a smaller pump. I'm not saying that this particular model is a quality one, but just that round channels shouldn't necessarily be a deal breaker on principle.

As I understand it, the issue has more to do with the proportion of liquid in the tube that is in close proximity to the walls of the copper (for more efficient heat transfer). The total tube length is typically also reduced if I remember right (which I definitely may not). That will contribute to less restriction, which would be great if you're limited by a weaker pump, but will hurt performance if you're not. Further back in the thread, Wahaha360 ran into this very issue while testing custom radiators.

Edited to add: I don't think heat pipes are comparable in this instance. The fluid in a heat pipe will transfer it's energy to the surrounding fluid much faster than water.

Last edited: