Production FormD T1 Classic (READ FIRST POST)

Increase volume from 9.8L to 10.5L to support MSI Suprim X 30XX?

• Yes, worth the trade off to be more compatible with components

Votes: 116 24.7%
  • No, not worth it b/c it is not better than the ROG 30XX, which fits now at <10L

Votes: 353 75.3%

• Total voters

rOy_bOy

Chassis Packer
Sep 3, 2019
Hey Guys, have you heard anything about the results from the most recent prototype? Have benchmarks been made to the Ghost S1 or the Ncase M1 and other popular SFF cases?

Last edited:

Wahaha360

a.k.a W360
Original poster
SFFLAB
NCASE
SSUPD
Feb 23, 2015
I'm going to assume the mesh is sourced, not fabricated, for this build. Not much choice in the shape of the holes when sourcing i'd imagine.

The mesh is an option for the Side Panels. I think DrHudacris is strictly talking about the Top and Bottom Panels with round holes

@Wahaha360 I know you're approaching the first production run, but I would like to share one concern of mine. It looks like the top and bottom panels have holes arranged in an inefficient manner, where less than 50% of the panel is actual holes to allow air to pass through. Do you think the vent pattern can be changed to a hexagonal arrangement, which is a much more efficient way to allow air flow? Basically you will have more holes in the same amount of space with a hexagonal arrangement. This might help thermals without any increase in volume.

Link to "circle packing", see "packings in a plane" subsection https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circle_packing

In short, it doesn't work well in execution, and that much ventilation will make the panel itself too weak.

1. manufacturing problem - the hexagonal or honeycomb vents has to be larger in size compare to circles to be CNCed, it looks ugly to me
2. reduction in space efficiency - large honeycomb vents needs thicker panels to maintain structural rigidity, that means increasing the overall size
3. even *if you could use a die to punch honeycomb vents somehow (thinner material maybe), the vent holes size will still have to be bigger than round holes, that means more dust particles.

The optimal cooling for this case is for the Top or Bottom Panel to serve as exhaust vents, where the Side Panels are intake. In this scenario, 50% ventilation vs 30%+ ventilation is not going to make enough difference if you have decent coolers.

Last edited:

Wahaha360

a.k.a W360
Original poster
SFFLAB
NCASE
SSUPD
Feb 23, 2015
I'm just ready to pay for a case already just to ensure I get one. I think I check this thread 20+ times a day for updates...

Hey Guys, have you heard anything about the results from the most recent prototype? Have benchmarks been made to the Ghost S1 or the Ncase M1 and other popular SFF cases?

We are manufacturing now, things are slowly getting to regular speed.

DrHudacris

King of Cable Management
Jul 20, 2019
The mesh is an option for the Side Panels. I think DrHudacris is strictly talking about the Top and Bottom Panels with round holes

In short, it doesn't work well in execution, and that much ventilation will make the panel itself too weak.

1. manufacturing problem - the hexagonal or honeycomb vents has to be larger in size compare to circles to be CNCed, it looks ugly to me
2. reduction in space efficiency - large honeycomb vents needs thicker panels to maintain structural rigidity, that means increasing the overall size
3. even *if you could use a die to punch honeycomb vents somehow (thinner material maybe), the vent holes size will still have to be bigger than round holes, that means more dust particles.

The optimal cooling for this case is for the Top or Bottom Panel to serve as exhaust vents, where the Side Panels are intake. In this scenario, 50% ventilation vs 30%+ ventilation is not going to make enough difference if you have decent coolers.

Thank you for the reply! I see your point about honeycomb ventilation pattern, but does this also apply to the hexagonal arrangement of circular holes? As shown in the gray and black cases in your picture (left and right)? I also prefer circular holes to honeycomb/hexagons, but I'm asking of the actual arrangement of circles.

Bonusround

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 26, 2018
@Wahaha360, your comments about the downsides to a honeycomb pattern (round holes in hex/offset arrangement) surprise me. Is this a hunch or do you have data? Apple have used this pattern for years. Hell, the M1 uses this pattern.

Do I understand correctly that this issue only arises when the hole-making process is via CNC?

Last edited:

Wahaha360

a.k.a W360
Original poster
SFFLAB
NCASE
SSUPD
Feb 23, 2015
Thank you for the reply! I see your point about honeycomb ventilation pattern, but does this also apply to the hexagonal arrangement of circular holes? As shown in the gray and black cases in your picture (left and right)? I also prefer circular holes to honeycomb/hexagons, but I'm asking of the actual arrangement of circles.

Yes, we explored this option, we didn't pursue it b/c the marginal performance gain vs cost was not worth it.

What you are asking is 60 degrees staggered hole pattern. We have structural parts on the Top & Bottom panel, so we can't make vents on the entire surface. The 60 degree staggered hole pattern can increase ventilation from 28.26% (latest) to < 35%. However, that means more holes to CNC, we might have to make the panel slightly thicker for structural strength reason as well, that also means it will take more time to drill each hole on a thicker panel = more CNC time again. I estimated this would increase cost by $3-$7 per panel depending on the season (low vs peak), or $6-$14 per case. Effectively, you gain <7% ventilation at $6-$14. To that I say, just get a better fan or cooler, it's a better way to get performance for your money.

If you go back few pages on the thread, people also liked the linear staggered hole pattern more.

In the end, we stuck with the current design of the hole pattern.

Last edited:

Wahaha360

a.k.a W360
Original poster
SFFLAB
NCASE
SSUPD
Feb 23, 2015
@Wahaha360, your comments about the downsides to a honeycomb pattern (round holes in hex/offset arrangement) surprise me. Is this a hunch or do you have data? Apple have used this pattern for years. Hell, the M1 uses this pattern.

Do I understand correctly that this issue only arises when the hole-making process is via CNC?

I was referring to strictly using CNC to make holes. For *punching / stamping holes it's different.

I also want to make a distinction between the shape of the holes, round vs honeycomb. While you can punch / stamp honeycomb and round holes are similar density, To CNC honeycomb at a similar density to round holes = using a smaller bit = more likely to break in production = more downtime and defect = more cost = you end up making a bigger honeycomb holes to offset the cost increase and lost of efficiency.

The M1 Side Panels uses punched holes because the aluminum is 60% thinner. The hole pattern on M1 & A4 via Lian Li is made at 45 Degrees staggered, not 60 degrees, which is less dense. So the M1 Top Panel ventilation % is actually *less than the T1 Top & Bottom Panel.

Last edited:

Beardedswede

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 9, 2018
now when you put down the time on this case. Do one "massproduction" and do one high end that is like dubble price extra low production. Where you have extra thick walls, improved airflow, durability etc. But probably a reason why you wont do more then one case, So i get that. More work either way.

Keep it up, either way

Wahaha360

a.k.a W360
Original poster
SFFLAB
NCASE
SSUPD
Feb 23, 2015
PS. Imagine a next gen T1 case, collab with G-unique.12V "PSU" even more optimezed. I would pay double for that case.

There are a few people that asked for something genuinely expensive over the years, it doesn't get more genuinely expensive than unibody SFF. I probably sell it at cost, for people that want the crazy thing. Probably next year fall for the people with deep wallets, but it will prob cost $1000-$2000 each though.

Last edited:

Beardedswede

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 9, 2018
There are a few people that asked for something genuinely expensive over the years, it doesn't get more genuinely expensive than unibody SFF. I probably sell it at cost, for people that want the crazy thing. Probably next year fall for the people with deep wallets, but it will prob cost $1000-$2000 each though.
fair enough. Just more the ideal of the "perfect case" ever sense I saw G-uniques PSU solution,I wanted to have a case custom for that. I saw a guy put a 120/140 mm AIO in the place where the normal PSU usally in in the Ghost S1. Not ideal solution, but made me curious how that could open up for more compact cases with high performance. Just hoped that his product were more mainstream, under warranty etc.

Wahaha360

a.k.a W360
Original poster
SFFLAB
NCASE
SSUPD
Feb 23, 2015
fair enough. Just more the ideal of the "perfect case" ever sense I saw G-uniques PSU solution,I wanted to have a case custom for that. I saw a guy put a 120/140 mm AIO in the place where the normal PSU usally in in the Ghost S1. Not ideal solution, but made me curious how that could open up for more compact cases with high performance. Just hoped that his product were more mainstream, under warranty etc.

The current Sandwich layout doesn't benefit from Flex or 1U PSU as much.

The only way to go smaller while maintaining cooling potential is integration, power supply and heatsink, that's why I said unibody, and very expensive.

rOy_bOy

Chassis Packer
Sep 3, 2019
@Wahaha360

Thanks for the update. By 'manufacturing' are you indicating that a new prototype is in manufacturing or that the final product design and BoM are in manufacturing?

Thanks!

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
I was referring to strictly using CNC to make holes. For stamping holes it's different.

I also want to make a distinction between the shape of the holes, round vs honeycomb. While you can stamp honeycomb and round holes are similar density, To CNC honeycomb at a similar density to round holes = using a smaller bit = more likely to break in production = more downtime and defect = more cost = you end up making a bigger honeycomb holes to offset the cost increase and lost of efficiency.

The M1 Side Panels uses stamping because the aluminum is 60% thinner.
Let's be accurate, please. Stamping implies 3D features; the M1/A4 use punched holes. This might be a semantic difference to some, but when you talk about a "stamped case" vs. one that uses punching it has vastly different cost implications.

The hole pattern on M1 & A4 via Lian Li is made at 45 Degrees staggered, not 60 degrees, which is less dense. So the M1 ventilation % is actually *less than the T1 Top & Bottom Panel.
The M1/A4 open area is ~39%, about 38% greater than the 28.3% you gave for the T1 hole pattern.

gwertheim

King of Cable Management
Nov 27, 2017

The perfect case is a unicorn, you might think it exists but every couple of months the unicorn changes shape to the newest thing.

If you keep chasing the unicorn, you'll never be happy and you'll be broke.

PBJ

Airflow Optimizer
Jan 6, 2019
The perfect case is a unicorn, you might think it exists but every couple of months the unicorn changes shape to the newest thing.

If you keep chasing the unicorn, you'll never be happy and you'll be broke.
Very true! I’ll be happy with the T1....until the T2 comes out ?

Last edited:

PBJ

Airflow Optimizer
Jan 6, 2019
I just wanted a strong, high quality premium SFF case. The T1 fits the bill nicely. I’ll gladly give up some ventilation % for better structural integrity.

If you want better airflow, get the mesh panels.

If you want to protect your components for travel (or prefer the look), get the aluminum panels coming 2020.

And if you want to show off the insides, get the TG panels.

This case is so flexible, it’s unreal.

Wahaha, to you and your colleagues: Keep up the great work!!