Production FormD T1 Classic (READ FIRST POST)

Increase volume from 9.8L to 10.5L to support MSI Suprim X 30XX?

• Yes, worth the trade off to be more compatible with components

Votes: 116 24.7%
  • No, not worth it b/c it is not better than the ROG 30XX, which fits now at <10L

Votes: 353 75.3%

• Total voters

teodoro

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 8, 2018
Prototype 2 revision
move PSU and GPU upward to allow better airflow from fans, so temps should be better
add cable mgmt clasps
1. what's current GPU height max? will 140mm tall (which seem to be the ceiling?) still fit after the gpu position move?
2. will psu moving up allow for sfx-l + rad + 25mm to fit?

Wahaha360

a.k.a W360
Original poster
SFFLAB
NCASE
SSUPD
Feb 23, 2015
1. what's current GPU height max? will 140mm tall (which seem to be the ceiling?) still fit after the gpu position move?
2. will psu moving up allow for sfx-l + rad + 25mm to fit?

max GPU height around 155mm, I fitted the EVAG RTX 2080 FTW3 inside, so 2.785 slot 140mm tall is not a problem.
get back to you on SFX-L, but unlikely for best temps.

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Apr 6, 2016
Test Setup
SideArmD Project Prototype 1
Intel i9-9900K + Asus Z390 ITX
Fr33Flow 48mm CPU Block + Pump Prototype 1
Koolance HX-CU420V Radiator (120x30mm, 30FPI, *Copper)
Noctua Sterrox Fan (120x25mm, one mounted on Koolance radiator, one beneath motherboard)
Nvidia RTX Titan
Samsung 960 EVO SSD

Results
Ambient temperature probably around ~25C
WITHOUT OC, CPU-Z stress test max temperature ~65C
OC all 8 core to 5ghz, (unstable & ran out of time to test more), ~85C
* there is no side panel on the CPU side (it was late, prototype 2 is more relevant for benchmark)
* case in pull mode, where radiator is on the bottom, 5mm feet
* thanks to 3lfk1ng, |||, PlayfulPhoenix, 3feetcat, for helping despite insane schedule during CES

Prototype 2 revision
move PSU and GPU upward to allow better airflow from fans, so temps should be better
add cable mgmt clasps
Mine:
DAN Case, all panel in place
Intel 9900K+ASrock Z390 Phantom Gaming ITX
Alphacool Eisbaer LT CPU Block+ DC-LT Pump 2600rpm
HW Labs GTS 120mmx30mm 16fpi, COpper
Gentle Typhoon 2150rpm DC
Nvidia 2070 (Was planned to use in it the Titan RTX, but my Gunique arrived dead, so, I stay with the 2070 + HDplex 400W)
Samsung 970 Pro

RESULTS:
Ambient 22 degrees
OC 8 Core of 5GHz, Offset of -30mv, AVX offset 3, 86 degrees MAX in Prime95 after 20 minutes, VRM 80 degrees.
CPU Z OC, 5950 Multithread point, 70 degrees, VRM 60 degrees.

Reactions: rawsh

gwertheim

King of Cable Management
Nov 27, 2017

CES 2019, special thanks to 3lfk1ng for thermal testing and volunteering his Ghost S1 + 26mm Top Hat.

240mm AI0 might be unecessary - the Koolance HX-CU420V radiator and Noctua Sterrox fan combo is so impressive on the i9-9900K.

Test Setup
Noctua Sterrox Fan (120x25mm, one mounted on Koolance radiator, one beneath motherboard)
Nvidia RTX Titan
Samsung 960 EVO SSD

Results
* there is no side panel on the CPU side (it was late, prototype 2 is more relevant for benchmark)
* thanks to 3lfk1ng, |||, PlayfulPhoenix, 3feetcat, for helping despite insane schedule during CES

Prototype 2 revision
add cable mgmt clasps

How did your case compare with the ghost? One of the problems I am having with my ghost is the lack of airflow coming in from the bottom to the top because there is no room for a fan without a tophat.

Wahaha360

a.k.a W360
Original poster
SFFLAB
NCASE
SSUPD
Feb 23, 2015
How did your case compare with the ghost? One of the problems I am having with my ghost is the lack of airflow coming in from the bottom to the top because there is no room for a fan without a tophat.

I'm trying to get the best cooling for current gen parts in the smallest foot print / volume. CNC is like a bonus, since I have to train a new mfg for some other products.

It's not fair for me to comment on the comparison, since I might be unconsciously biased.

I will send the next prototype to some reviewers. They can decide more objectively.

Narwhal

Average Stuffer
Jan 30, 2018

CES 2019, special thanks to 3lfk1ng for thermal testing and volunteering his Ghost S1 + 26mm Top Hat.

240mm AI0 might be unecessary - the Koolance HX-CU420V radiator and Noctua Sterrox fan combo is so impressive on the i9-9900K.

Test Setup
Nvidia RTX Titan
Samsung 960 EVO SSD

Results

Prototype 2 revision
add cable mgmt clasps
thats a damn clean prototype

Reactions: fabio

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015

Test Setup
Nvidia RTX Titan
Samsung 960 EVO SSD

Results

Prototype 2 revision
add cable mgmt clasps
The thermals look promising and the case looks amazing ! Can't wait to see more !

Reactions: fabio

Wahaha360

a.k.a W360
Original poster
SFFLAB
NCASE
SSUPD
Feb 23, 2015
Oh man, It’s amazing!!! I want it!

I might move to a Titan V because the blower fan should be better than the RTX Titan for a solid window / side panel.

Btw, Alphacool is considering customization of the Eisbaer DC-LT block pump for SFF, so if you have suggestions, we chat on the Fr33Flow 48mm CPU Block + Pump thread.

Last edited:

PBJ

Airflow Optimizer
Jan 6, 2019
I might move to a Titan V because the blower fan is than the RTX Titan for a solid window / side panel.

Great to see everything going according to plan in the first prototype. That’s impressive!

The RTX Titan should be fine with the vented panel though , right?

Wahaha360

a.k.a W360
Original poster
SFFLAB
NCASE
SSUPD
Feb 23, 2015
Great to see everything going according to plan in the first prototype. That’s impressive!

The RTX Titan should be fine with the vented panel though , right?

Only testing will quantify, but I doubt it will thermal throttle, prob still 75C.

We need to test with prototype 2, because the airflow is superior, but it also has a dust filter to make temps worse, this will be the best test.

Reactions: chyll2 and fabio

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Apr 6, 2016
I might move to a Titan V because the blower fan should be better than the RTX Titan for a solid window / side panel.

Btw, Alphacool is considering customization of the Eisbaer DC-LT block pump for SFF, so if you have suggestions, we chat on the Fr33Flow 48mm CPU Block + Pump thread.
The problem with the Titan V is that the blower is not keeping it cool enough, and the frequency goes down a lot. In any case, only the test phase will tell us which option fit better!

For the Eisbaer, is a great news!

For_Science

Master of Cramming
Feb 16, 2018
The problem with the Titan V is that the blower is not keeping it cool enough, and the frequency goes down a lot. In any case, only the test phase will tell us which option fit better!

For the Eisbaer, is a great news!

Will you have a way to keep the DDC cool? As far as i am aware the pumps have a high failure left if there isnt active cooling on the heatsink.

Wahaha360

a.k.a W360
Original poster
SFFLAB
NCASE
SSUPD
Feb 23, 2015
Will you have a way to keep the DDC cool? As far as i am aware the pumps have a high failure left if there isnt active cooling on the heatsink.

I'm leaning towards an aluminum heatsink top for the DDC, the challenge is that I need the whole Block Pump + heatsink under 48mm.

I would like this to fit the DAN A4, DAN C4 and Circletect Pro.

I will figure it out after I visit Alphacool in Germany. They have suggestions on the block itself, which determines minimum height, that will determine how tall the heatsink will be.

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
Love the CNC build of the case. It's like a high end TaoBao case but with potential for more market reach.

Is it possible to replace the default base of the pump with a heatsink and still fit? Some companies make DDC heatsinks that would look good with the finish of the case, including this Bitspower silver heatsink.

Wahaha360

a.k.a W360
Original poster
SFFLAB
NCASE
SSUPD
Feb 23, 2015
Love the CNC build of the case. It's like a high end TaoBao case but with potential for more market reach.

Is it possible to replace the default base of the pump with a heatsink and still fit? Some companies make DDC heatsinks that would look good with the finish of the case, including this Bitspower silver heatsink.

I have this heatsink for my DDC, I will try for the next CPU Block Pump prototype

Wahaha360

a.k.a W360
Original poster
SFFLAB
NCASE
SSUPD
Feb 23, 2015
@Wahaha360

What is the outlook for extruded aluminium & wire EDM production in your new factory line-up...?

The new factory can do both.

However, the issue has never been about mfg techniques, it's about quality control and anodizing. So the training really emphasize on the latter.

Manufacturers are abundant, just not many trained to QA to our expectations.

Reactions: Nanook and Boil

Boil

SFF Guru
Nov 11, 2015
The new factory can do both.

However, the issue has never been about mfg techniques, it's about quality control and anodizing. So the training really emphasize on the latter.

Manufacturers are abundant, just not many trained to QA to our expectations.

Good to hear that extruding & wire EDM are in the tool kit...!

Quality control & assurance are definitely a factor that can make or break a product, especially in the boutique chassis market...

Regarding anodizing, we are talking about that "Apple-esque" sandblasted anodized finish, yes...? If so, that is huge for the boutique chassis market...!

Man, now the gears are grinding away in my head...!

Reactions: Arboreal