Production FormD T1 Classic (READ FIRST POST)

Increase volume from 9.8L to 10.5L to support MSI Suprim X 30XX?

• Yes, worth the trade off to be more compatible with components

Votes: 116 24.7%
  • No, not worth it b/c it is not better than the ROG 30XX, which fits now at <10L

Votes: 353 75.3%

• Total voters

vpri

Trash Compacter
Sep 9, 2018
This is beautiful! Great job.

Did you consider supporting a top or bottom 240mm AIO for airflow? I have a similar setup with i9-9900K and can tell you that with 240mm I was able to overclock at 5Ghz. It'd be so awesome and perfect to have a configuration like this in this case. I'd totally pick one up.

She loved E

Add smallness
Compact Splash
Jun 24, 2015
So sexy. I've been mildly obsessed with finding (or building) a <10L case for air cooling medium/high-end parts. Really excited to see where you take this.

Is the split color front panel just to highlight the seam? Or a hint at modularity or material choices?

Wahaha360

a.k.a W360
Original poster
SFFLAB
NCASE
SSUPD
Feb 23, 2015
Did you consider supporting a top or bottom 240mm AIO for airflow? I have a similar setup with i9-9900K and can tell you that with 240mm I was able to overclock at 5Ghz. It'd be so awesome and perfect to have a configuration like this in this case. I'd totally pick one up.

I don't think the case proportions and volume increase from supporting a 240 AIO is worth it.

During my testing, the Koolance 30FPI radiator + Noctua Sterrox 120x25mm was enough for my 9900K. Someone else also OC all 8 core to 5ghz at 85-90C for benchmark just to see what happens.

120x30mm 30 FPI *Copper rad + DDC pump will be within 3-5C of a 240x30mm 12-18 FPI *Aluminum rad + Asetek Gen 6 pump. I didn't think it was worth it.

From a volume perspective, once this sandwich design goes 10L+, there are more efficient design alternatives. So it just stops making sense once you increase the dimensions some more.

Wahaha360

a.k.a W360
Original poster
SFFLAB
NCASE
SSUPD
Feb 23, 2015
So sexy. I've been mildly obsessed with finding (or building) a <10L case for air cooling medium/high-end parts. Really excited to see where you take this.

Is the split color front panel just to highlight the seam? Or a hint at modularity or material choices?

Oh wow, didn't know you joined the forum. I remember the days when I we were making the M1, saw your Compact Splash and the military paint job, the website was good too :)

I would prefer two tone anodizing to be standard, I just like that look.

She loved E

Add smallness
Compact Splash
Jun 24, 2015
I've been lurking for years ;) It's so cool seeing where you've taken the M1 and case design in general. When we all started (2012ish?) nobody really took SFF seriously. And now its a bigger part of the industry than its ever been, and M1 is the benchmark for how good designs can be.

Compact Splash was so fun but the logistics & limitations of my design prevented it from really being viable beyond the first run. You guys nailed the production side of things and have really been savvy about knowing when to keep pushing and improving... and just as importantly when to bin a design if things don't come together.

I love your approach to this one. My favorite designs are singular, and strict objectives often lead to the most elegant designs.

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
It's so cool seeing where you've taken the M1 and case design in general. When we all started (2012ish?) nobody really took SFF seriously. And now its a bigger part of the industry than its ever been, and M1 is the benchmark for how good designs can be.
Thanks, but I feel I should mention for the record that w360 had little to do with the design of the M1, and I have little to do with the design of this case. This is his pet project.

She loved E

Add smallness
Compact Splash
Jun 24, 2015
Apologies Necere! I meant to give you both credit for overall execution & had forgotten the different & unique roles you both played on M1. Of course the design kudos goes to you and it was (and is) a beautiful design.

Wahaha360

a.k.a W360
Original poster
SFFLAB
NCASE
SSUPD
Feb 23, 2015
Top handle?

Back handle *only. A flush & collapsible top handle will be in the way of airflow / cooling. The latest components are way too hot to risk it.

The alternative is unibody handle, most are pretty ugly imo, so I passed on those.

I have some insider info on new AMD and Intel chips. Power consumption is going up, so cooling is going to be much more important for SFF.

And whats the front I/O like?

The Front I/O is two USB-C and one USB-C shaped power button. See image below.

Last edited:

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
I'm liking the update to this project, will miss the more rounded feet and handles of the old SideArmD but maybe that's just me. But making it with CNC machined parts will make the case look and feel much more solid.

Reactions: Arboreal

Arboreal

King of Cable Management
Silver Supporter
Oct 11, 2015
I'm liking the update to this project, will miss the more rounded feet and handles of the old SideArmD but maybe that's just me. But making it with CNC machined parts will make the case look and feel much more solid.

Yeah, me too; that handle was impressive. I see the problem though, if power/heat is on the up - what happened to lower power on smaller nodes??

@Wahaha360 - I forgot to say - you had me at CNC machined and Space Grey anodising (UK)...

Luna Starlit

What's an ITX?
Oct 5, 2017
Very excited to water-cool this if I get the chance. I love the 3 slot GPU option as well, my EVGA XC Ultra will fit snugly in there with no side panel if all goes well!

Poblopuablo

King of Cable Management
Jan 14, 2018
Yeah, me too; that handle was impressive. I see the problem though, if power/heat is on the up - what happened to lower power on smaller nodes??

@Wahaha360 - I forgot to say - you had me at CNC machined and Space Grey anodising (UK)...

Yes lower power and smaller nodes, but when you go from ~3.9ghz to ~4.5 AND increase # of cores/threads this is bouund to happen. (Referencing some recent leaks of Ryzen 2.)

Reactions: Arboreal

Wahaha360

a.k.a W360
Original poster
SFFLAB
NCASE
SSUPD
Feb 23, 2015

CNC can achieve near straight edges, a more blocky / edgy design materializes the CNC advantage over bending.

So it's interesting from a design experiment perspective.

Reactions: Beardedswede

Wahaha360

a.k.a W360
Original poster
SFFLAB
NCASE
SSUPD
Feb 23, 2015
what happened to lower power on smaller nodes?

Yes lower power and smaller nodes, but when you go from ~3.9ghz to ~4.5 AND increase # of cores/threads this is bouund to happen. (Referencing some recent leaks of Ryzen 2.)

The expected power increase is bad enough that I'm seriously considering a custom 120 copper radiator that can match or beat aluminum 240 AIO.

Legion

Airflow Optimizer
Nov 22, 2017
I have some insider info on new AMD and Intel chips. Power consumption is going up, so cooling is going to be much more important for SFF.

This is going to be true of the higher core SKU's, 12 core+ will have a lot of power draw and heat dump for people clocking them up with ACT (All Core Turbo)
Custom watercooling makes the most sense here if you need / want high all core clocks. Current AIO's are not built to deal with these heatloads.

The 8 core and under SKU's are going to be relatvely easy to keep under control!

I do love what you've done with the design. I can see myself pulling the trigger on one as soon as you offer it :)
*mumbles something about W360 can then get back to work on Mach One*

Last edited:
Reactions: rfarmer

Demon Boy Jr

Average Stuffer
Sep 1, 2017
Any plans to do a full metal ventilated panel? The example one looks and I imagine would be acrylic which always comes off as cheap to me and potentially scratches easily, which can be seen by people who purchased the Geeek A50. I personally have no interest on whether the panel is transparent or not, I just want the quality to match price.

That being said I am very intrigued by the design of the case. I think allowing the 3 slot option also opens up the potential for an Accelero Xtreme 3 to be mounted similar to the Ncase.

Reactions: Beardedswede