Production FormD T1 Classic (READ FIRST POST)

Increase volume from 9.8L to 10.5L to support MSI Suprim X 30XX?

• Yes, worth the trade off to be more compatible with components

Votes: 116 24.7%
  • No, not worth it b/c it is not better than the ROG 30XX, which fits now at <10L

Votes: 353 75.3%

• Total voters

paulesko

Master of Cramming
Jul 31, 2019
Hi Paulesko i didnt even lapped my cpu and have way better temperatures on the 3900x and the cooling situation in the ghost case is less than ideal i think there is a wall on zen2 around 4,3 and 1,3 vcore. What helped me is updating the bios to abba that fixed the LLC problem this way i can run the cpu on 4,25 and 1,26 LLC on High that is in my oppinion.
I also tried the eisbaer LT and was underwhelmed it performed ok but was way too laud.
Why dont you try to change the rad on the eisbaer? For lwts say an hw labs black ice nemesis i have to admit what ppl and the producer are saying is somewhat true. It performs almoust as a thick radiator in 1000-1500rpm scenario and also performs better at low rpm.
How is you system setup? Witch fans are you using and witch direction are the blowing how is your psu oriented?
Hello! I think my temps are Ok, take in mind that the 3900x has 50% more cores over a double the die area, so it is more spread and even though the global heat produced by the cpu is greater than on the 3700x, it would be easier to dissipate it because of the extra surface if contact with the heat spreader.

I'm planing on using it with a hardware labs gtx this weekend, and also have the dc-lt 3600 to put inside it to try and see if it improves further.

I'm using it in a ncase with 2 noctuas nf-a on push mode. The thing is that vcore I'm using is quite high, I will try a new bios, because I've been so busy lately that haven't have time to try the new abba version, I'm using the inmediatly previous one.

stepnyVLK

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Sep 23, 2019
Hello! I think my temps are Ok, take in mind that the 3900x has 50% more cores over a double the die area, so it is more spread and even though the global heat produced by the cpu is greater than on the 3700x, it would be easier to dissipate it because of the extra surface if contact with the heat spreader.

I'm planing on using it with a hardware labs gtx this weekend, and also have the dc-lt 3600 to put inside it to try and see if it improves further.

I'm using it in a ncase with 2 noctuas nf-a on push mode. The thing is that vcore I'm using is quite high, I will try a new bios, because I've been so busy lately that haven't have time to try the new abba version, I'm using the inmediatly previous one.
I think that the pump wount help mutch also try to rotate the fans to pull fresh air in instead of bliw out. But aim for high LLc this board i think its mandatory ive seen way lover vcore with that.
I think that the big fin stack on the xspc raystorm helps alot that would help with the 3700 aswell since the cpu die sitts off center.

MattyKHZ

Average Stuffer
Sep 26, 2019
Thanks to all those who have stuck up for me asking for dimensions.

Look at the 1st page, all the way back to January and you see so much detail about cooler fitment down to the mm, showing pictures with a digital caliper.

It seems so much trial and error and thought has gone into what cooling fits as documented in this thread, but similar attention has not been given to the other component fitment requirements. 10 months later and still nothing.

I will not ask any more. It seems a simple question like this falls on deaf ears so if that is the support prior to purchase it does not give a great impression for post purchase customer service.

RolandX

Chassis Packer
Nov 7, 2019
I know this may sound crazy as most of the info I found is related to fit in a mini-itx case not only an small motherboard, but to have room for a GPU card.. well for me as I have a different plan for my system which is a home lab with a case smallest as possible and power and cooling efficient, a GPU card is not needed. That’s why so far Ncase m1 is my first option to go (when is available again), however this project also got my attention. I see that the column in the middle can be moved to allow more space for the GPU, but what about I would like to have more space for the CPU FAN, can I slide the motherboard column to have more room for a bigger fan and just not to have a GPU Inside?

Thanks a congrats for such a nice project!.

MattyKHZ

Average Stuffer
Sep 26, 2019
I know this may sound crazy as most of the info I found is related to fit in a mini-itx case not only an small motherboard, but to have room for a GPU card.. well for me as I have a different plan for my system which is a home lab with a case smallest as possible and power and cooling efficient, a GPU card is not needed. That’s why so far Ncase m1 is my first option to go (when is available again), however this project also got my attention. I see that the column in the middle can be moved to allow more space for the GPU, but what about I would like to have more space for the CPU FAN, can I slide the motherboard column to have more room for a bigger fan and just not to have a GPU Inside?

Thanks a congrats for such a nice project!.

I believe 1st page is your answer, mentions 70mm cpu clearance in 2 slot GPU mode. Or at least it is a 70mm Noctua cpu cooler mentioned.

Think middle partition is fixed in either 2 slot or 3 slot. If it was not and could also be 1 slot or no slot that would be the answer to your no GPU and max space in cpu area. You might be lucky and get an answer from someone more knowledgeable in this design however.

jtthejam

Efficiency Noob
Jun 8, 2019
it's fixed at either 2 / 3 slots, max CPU clearance is 70mm (enough for a noctua l12s); you can't move it further iirc.

hetvler

Cable-Tie Ninja
Aug 13, 2019

Look at the 1st page, all the way back to January and you see so much detail about cooler fitment down to the mm, showing pictures with a digital caliper.

It seems so much trial and error and thought has gone into what cooling fits as documented in this thread, but similar attention has not been given to the other component fitment requirements. 10 months later and still nothing.

I will not ask any more. It seems a simple question like this falls on deaf ears so if that is the support prior to purchase it does not give a great impression for post purchase customer service.

I think that is an unfair standpoint.

1) its a forum. its extremely easy to miss things in this format. presumably support through sfflab will be better as its a dedicated channel for such inquiries and it wont be full of us talking about (insert topic)

2) @3feetcat appears to be a student from @Wahaha360 mentioning his midterms or exams or whatever and I would fault him more for being on here and answering our questions than doing well in school

3) its a pet project. the case is being made regardless. the community ultimately doesn't matter.

I'm with you in that please god answer the questions but for where the project is at i think communication has been fine.

gwertheim

King of Cable Management
Nov 27, 2017
I think that is an unfair standpoint.

1) its a forum. its extremely easy to miss things in this format. presumably support through sfflab will be better as its a dedicated channel for such inquiries and it wont be full of us talking about (insert topic)

2) @3feetcat appears to be a student from @Wahaha360 mentioning his midterms or exams or whatever and I would fault him more for being on here and answering our questions than doing well in school

3) its a pet project. the case is being made regardless. the community ultimately doesn't matter.

I'm with you in that please god answer the questions but for where the project is at i think communication has been fine.

The communication about the ghost s1 was alot worse than thus. This is a part time gig, school will always come first in my opinion no matter what.

Reactions: rfarmer

Wahaha360

a.k.a W360
Original poster
SFFLAB
NCASE
SSUPD
Feb 23, 2015

Looks like we dropped ball on this one ? . I passed the ball to 3feetcat , but he is busy with school and a girlfriend I think, it happens.

Anyways, the reason you didn't get a straight answer is b/c the Front I/O PCB is not finalized, so the length of the GPU that can fit can easily change by 5mm.

1. For simplicity, lets just say without Front I/O, 320mm long by 140mm tall GPU for 1-2.75 slot should be ok. A true 3 slot GPUs throughout the entire length up tp 320mm might bump up against the Front Panel rim, but in theory should fit.

2. With Front I/O installed, for 1-3 slots, let's just say 315mm by 140mm tall.

Last edited:

Wahaha360

a.k.a W360
Original poster
SFFLAB
NCASE
SSUPD
Feb 23, 2015

I wouldn't go as far as to say it doesn't matter, but I think it's crucial to stay focused with product dev in general. Also, if you try to make everyone happy, you end up making no one happy.

God is likely more busy, so I will do as much as I can ?

Last edited:

DrHudacris

King of Cable Management
Jul 20, 2019
I
Looks like we dropped ball on this one ? . I passed the ball to 3feetcat , but he is busy with school and a girlfriend I think, it happens.

Anyways, the reason you didn't get a straight answer is b/c the Front I/O PCB is not finalized, so the length of the GPU that can fit can easily change by 5mm.

1. For simplicity, lets just say without Front I/O, 320mm long GPU for 1-2.75 slot should be ok. A true 3 slot GPUs throughout the entire length up tp 320mm might bump up against the Front Panel rim, but in theory should fit.

2. With Front I/O installed, for 1-3 slots, let's just say 315mm.

I believe the original question was regarding height and width limitations of the GPU compartment, if you have that available. Totally understand if this can be better answered by @3feetcat instead

RolandX

Chassis Packer
Nov 7, 2019
So, just as a feedback to the creators, it would be great to have an extra slot to allow the flexibility to move motherboard to the back and position a bigger CPU fan with 120mm height for example (I would love to use something like the Noctua NH-U9S), just like the Ncase does.

Thanks!

it's fixed at either 2 / 3 slots, max CPU clearance is 70mm (enough for a noctua l12s); you can't move it further iirc.

Reactions: Engr62

Wahaha360

a.k.a W360
Original poster
SFFLAB
NCASE
SSUPD
Feb 23, 2015
I

I believe the original question was regarding height and width limitations of the GPU compartment, if you have that available. Totally understand if this can be better answered by @3feetcat instead

added to the org. post, 140mm tall for 1-3 slots to be safe, potentially 6mm more but it’s not user friendly.

Wahaha360

a.k.a W360
Original poster
SFFLAB
NCASE
SSUPD
Feb 23, 2015
So, just as a feedback to the creators, it would be great to have an extra slot to allow the flexibility to move motherboard to the back and position a bigger CPU fan with 120mm height for example (I would love to use something like the Noctua NH-U9S), just like the Ncase does.

Thanks!

to fit a 120mm CPU cooler with single slot GPU means making the entire case wider to at least 145mm wide.

If you are referring to no GPU, it’s beyond the scope of what we want to do.

hetvler

Cable-Tie Ninja
Aug 13, 2019
1. For simplicity, lets just say without Front I/O, 320mm long by 140mm tall GPU for 1-2.75 slot should be ok. A true 3 slot GPUs throughout the entire length up tp 320mm might bump up against the Front Panel rim, but in theory should fit.

2. With Front I/O installed, for 1-3 slots, let's just say 315mm by 140mm tall.

instead of slots can we get this in mm? i'm having a very hard time finding out how many slots i need for a morpheus 2 gpu cooler w/ slim fans but know i need 59-60mm for it.

Reactions: newzealot

newzealot

Caliper Novice
Jul 26, 2019
instead of slots can we get this in mm? i'm having a very hard time finding out how many slots i need for a morpheus 2 gpu cooler w/ slim fans but know i need 59-60mm for it.

I am an SFF newbie and the SFF community driven projects are really strange. They seem to measure the gpu thickness by number of slots, when everyone else is measuring using metric or imperial systems.

The specs for this very case (just a day ago) says:
  • Three-Slot Slot GPU up to 315mm
  • 2 slot GPU configuration allows for 70mm CPU cooler height
  • 3 slot GPU configuration allows for 48mm CPU cooler height
I am interested in this case, so i plan to get a GPU (for example ZOTAC GAMING GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER AMP), and the specs say 209.6mm x 119.3mm x 41mm.

The obvious insights are as as follows:
  • The GPU will fit length wise
  • No idea if it will fit height wise
  • Very rough idea if it will fit width wise
  • Hence, cannot precisely calculate what CPU cooler height is supported
So right up to a day ago, it is really a leap of faith thing. With Wahaha's answer about 140mm tall, at least height wise it could fit.

Sure, I can google and read about Graphics Cards Slot Width Explained, as chyll2 posted. The answer i get is "2.2 slot graphics card is around 42mm wide". So my intended GPU is "around 2.2 slots".

So can a L12S cooler fit? Or do i now have to get a C7G instead?

Instead of very rough and imprecise measurements by number of slots, i really hope the community will start moving towards the standard measurements.

As a newbie, obviously i have no clue about how hard it is to give GPU width compatibility in mm format. I would like to post this question to the experts here. Is it really that difficult to give GPU width compatibility in mm right from the start?

notbitcoin

Average Stuffer
Aug 3, 2019
I'm just going to go ahead and use my big brain and say if the difference between CPU compatibility w/ 2-slot and 3-slot is 22mm (70-48), then you can make the assumption that a "slot" in this case is roughly 22mm. So 2-slot would allow for (at least) 44mm-wide GPUs, and 3-slot would allow for (at least) 66mm-wide.

(I say at least because there appears to be roughly 3mm of buffer between the PCI-e area and the side panel, so it may be closer to 47/67 in terms of maximum compatibility.)

0x3F2D

Trash Compacter
Oct 13, 2019
You guys really need to be more patient. There have been a lot of changes to the case which affected the dimensions. The more time wahaha spends here to answer our questions, the less time he has to develop the case. I'm sure there will be plenty of information about the case before/when it is released. This is not a case from a huge manufacturer but rather a project of more or less one person who makes it for him and the community. This should really be appreciated more.
Even if it's difficult because we all want this beautiful case asap:
Wait patently, look at posts in this thread, look at the available information when released, maybe look at reviews and experience from others before you buy, consider if this case meets your requirements, then buy, then take measurements and fit your components/buy new.
In sff the case is not (and cannot be) designed to fit all your components. Your components are selected or modified to fit the case.

Reactions: mfgillia and PBJ

newzealot

Caliper Novice
Jul 26, 2019
I'm just going to go ahead and use my big brain and say if the difference between CPU compatibility w/ 2-slot and 3-slot is 22mm (70-48), then you can make the assumption that a "slot" in this case is roughly 22mm. So 2-slot would allow for (at least) 44mm-wide GPUs, and 3-slot would allow for (at least) 66mm-wide.

(I say at least because there appears to be roughly 3mm of buffer between the PCI-e area and the side panel, so it may be closer to 47/67 in terms of maximum compatibility.)

You have just illustrated my point about having imprecise slot measurements.

From your assumptions, the 42mm thick GPU i was talking about, fits within 2-slot size and you can safely buy an L12s cooler.

Another person can just interpret it as 42mm thick GPU = 2.2 slots, which exceeds the 2-slot thickness and have to buy a C7G instead.

A third person can easily come up with more assumptions and have a different conclusion.

It is just unnecessarily complicated.