Production FormD T1 Classic (READ FIRST POST)

Increase volume from 9.8L to 10.5L to support MSI Suprim X 30XX?

• Yes, worth the trade off to be more compatible with components

Votes: 116 24.7%
  • No, not worth it b/c it is not better than the ROG 30XX, which fits now at <10L

Votes: 353 75.3%

• Total voters

incunabula

Average Stuffer
Jun 14, 2019
I think a confusion here is that the T1 doesn't seem to be built around a 240 radiator, the fact that you can squeeze one in is just a bonus. They did testing and found no real benefit to most 240 AIO/CLC compared to the high quality 120s so proceeded with the intention of users going that route for water cooling. If you WANT to do a 240, you CAN, but there are strict limitations. If I recall this was also supposed to be a small prototype case in order to provide training for the manufacturer, essentially. Not a huge mass market thing that meets all needs of all buyers. It is intentionally niche. That is the best I can do at a TLDR of this thread as an interested purchaser.

I get it. It's his baby, and he's free to make it as niche as he wants. I'm already out so I have no stake, but these forums tend to be echo chambers, so I'm just offering an outside viewpoint.

For the record, the only thermal testing this is being based on is his, which has some inconsistencies with other testers/reviewers. Even if the single 120 that he's found performs as he says, that's a 30fpi rad. Any hope of a reasonably quiet system is gone at that point.

neyurt

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jul 26, 2018
Tested the BARROWCH Chameleon Fish modular radiator on 2x Noctua A12x25 vs. Noctua A12x25 + A12x15.

Have you tried to run 5Ghz all cores on the 9900k using these AIOs? (voltage should probably runs round ~1.35v)

Bonusround

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 26, 2018
I get it. It's his baby, and he's free to make it as niche as he wants. I'm already out so I have no stake, but these forums tend to be echo chambers, so I'm just offering an outside viewpoint.

For the record, the only thermal testing this is being based on is his, which has some inconsistencies with other testers/reviewers. Even if the single 120 that he's found performs as he says, that's a 30fpi rad. Any hope of a reasonably quiet system is gone at that point.

Expression of your own preferences is fine, but did you mean to wander into such a passive-agressive tone? Which thermal testing and what testers/reviewers are you referring to?

Reactions: mfgillia

OtackKulandinglar

Trash Compacter
May 24, 2019
I believe that the testing they are doing is supplemental to other testing done by various review sites, as Wahaha has charts from places like Techpowerup in there as well. I am not the expert here by any stretch, just trying to pass on my understanding. I thought I also saw that associated with this was another effort underway for a custom on block pump/rez and there were some teasers of all copper radiators. Wahaha doesn't seem to be doing anything in isolation as he is trying to build this case in a void between the NCase M1, Dancase, the Ghost, Sliger, and various other offerings, with with a specific intention as a boutique case.

Wahaha360

a.k.a W360
Original poster
SFFLAB
NCASE
SSUPD
Feb 23, 2015
The limited 240 radiator support is there for the Ryzen 3950X Turbo Boost (not sure about OC).

Aside from that CPU, a 120 radiator, via AIO or custom loop should be enough for upcoming Inte and Ryzen CPUs Turbo Boost and moderate OC @ <80C.

roscoejp

Chassis Packer
Mar 28, 2019
They did testing and found no real benefit to most 240 AIO/CLC compared to the high quality 120s so proceeded with the intention of users going that route for water cooling.

I think I missed that message in this thread. None of the charts on the first post seem to put a 120 near the 240s.

PBJ

Airflow Optimizer
Jan 6, 2019
I think I missed that message in this thread. None of the charts on the first post seem to put a 120 near the 240s.

As you may already know, the recommended 240mm radiator is the Alphacool Eisbaer LT 240. Extensive testing has been done on an open bench and is documented in this thread comparing the relative performance of the Eisbaer Lt 240 with other 240 AIO’s and radiators. The results have shown that there is no need to make the case bigger to fit these other 27-30mm radiators because the temperature differences are very minimal and in some cases inferior to the LT 240.

So, to my understanding 120mm rads are enough for most people, but if you do need better performance/lower temperatures go with the LT 240.

Reactions: OtackKulandinglar

quetzacoatlx

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Aug 11, 2017
The limited 240 radiator support is there for the Ryzen 3950X Turbo Boost (not sure about OC).

Aside from that CPU, a 120 radiator, via AIO or custom loop should be enough for upcoming Inte and Ryzen CPUs Turbo Boost and moderate OC @ <80C.
Could you please recommend a reservoir for the T1? Most of them don't fit in sandwich cases easily.

schn1tt3r

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 24, 2018
For those wanting this case be able to accommodate for all hardware, go read the C4 thread. Dan changed his design so many times he got to a point where the people who followed the thread from the start jumped ship as the product became something far from what was expected.

I admire that Wahaha360 has had a vision and has stuck to his idea. It is up to the consumers to choose if they share his idea or not... but designing to fit even 5" drives like was what people were asking Dan to do on the C4 case was just getting ridiculous.

Last edited:

DastruggleBeReal

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Jun 15, 2019
Is anyone else worried about alphacool eisbaer's lt 240 quality control? Their Amazon reviews are honesty quite low. Definitely willing to sell my corsair h100i to get the new 3950x but I'm worried about dealing with a lot of headaches just to fit into this case. Really hoping Wahaha360 can increase the size by 2-4mm in height.

ZerodB

Efficiency Noob
May 30, 2019
Love the CNC solid piece of aluminium and Lego factor of the case.
Currently am building a " Steck". Which is okish sisewize, but does not has the "End Case" feeling and engineering.
I hope this case will have the Alphacool Lt 240 support(for CPU or GPU cooling) and it will stay small and SILENT (@stock or undervolt). With a 120mm AIO it might be cool , but Silent?
Benefit of the Alphacool LT 240 pump it is can run at 7v (Less pump noise). A silent pump seems to be ignored by most manufactures.

Looking forward to see the progress of this case.

Last edited:

Wahaha360

a.k.a W360
Original poster
SFFLAB
NCASE
SSUPD
Feb 23, 2015
Is anyone else worried about alphacool eisbaer's lt 240 quality control? Their Amazon reviews are honesty quite low. Definitely willing to sell my corsair h100i to get the new 3950x but I'm worried about dealing with a lot of headaches just to fit into this case. Really hoping Wahaha360 can increase the size by 2-4mm in height.

I have tried the C4, Ghost, Sunmilo T03, and some other TaoBao cases, they all have 240x30mm radiator support on sandwich layout.

240mm AIOs tend to have longer tubes than 120mm AIOs, and the problem with the sandwich layout is that is doesn't have as much room for AIO tubing compare to traditional layout like the M1. adding 2-4mm is not going to help, you need more than 15mm+.

They all have the same problem - fitting a 240mm radiator on a sandwich (A4) layout case is a *bigger pain in the a$$, unless you make the case height at least 240mm+. At that height, the volume is near the M1, which offers superior Air Cooling compatibility and better results on water cooling, then the entire design stops being efficient, which make the case design borderline waste of space.

Wahaha360

a.k.a W360
Original poster
SFFLAB
NCASE
SSUPD
Feb 23, 2015
More philosophy:

For people who must cram a 240mm AIO / custom loop this case, it's hard to feel bad for you.

You are near the limit of how small standard parts will go, so yes, it's going to be harder to install.

Other wise the case has to be *materially bigger in volume to feel the ergonomic benefits.

baratheonbbq

Caliper Novice
Jun 6, 2019
How strongly would you advise against placing drives under the motherboard? I doubt that the space incidentally fits a 3.5in drive but would a cage for 2.5in drives be considered?

OtackKulandinglar

Trash Compacter
May 24, 2019
From the research I did prior to ordering mine directly from Alphacool in Germany, you're looking at a quality product. Their products seem to review very well on the various tech review sites. On Amazon what we seem to be seeing is low numbers of reviews and frustration over the cost to import into the US via a third party reseller.

AMv8-1day

Cable-Tie Ninja
Feb 13, 2017
@Wahaha360 Since this project is obviously taking up most of your available time, and probably going to delay your low pro Water block/DDC Pump project until a good ways after the Siderarmd T1 release, I'm likely going to go with the Swiftech Apogee Drive II for this build, at least until the Fr33Flow comes to production.
What fitting combo have you found to give you the best clearance/freedom of movement in your testing with the Sidearmd T1? Any major issues fitting everything in? Any hope of being able to come off with the first tube at a right angle for potential hardline tubing? Really want to try glass tubing, but don't think that this is a realistic project for it.
I'm still holding out hope for the 48mm cooler, but recognize the realities and delays inherent in R&D, manufacturing, shipping logistics, new tariff issues, etc. so no hate or pressure. Keep at it and release it when its 100%. I'll still buy it and can't wait to try running multiple PCIe cards in this awesome case!