Production FormD T1 Classic (READ FIRST POST)

Increase volume from 9.8L to 10.5L to support MSI Suprim X 30XX?

• Yes, worth the trade off to be more compatible with components

Votes: 116 24.7%
  • No, not worth it b/c it is not better than the ROG 30XX, which fits now at <10L

Votes: 353 75.3%

• Total voters

PBJ

Airflow Optimizer
Jan 6, 2019
I for one like the 2 piece/2 tone front design. It stands out from other cases of similar form factor and if it’s beneficial for component installation and cable management, it’s hard to argue against it. Design is very important but form should not take precedent over function or vice versa as they should go hand in hand. I think this case strikes a nice balance between the two.

Also if color combos are possible, then perhaps there are combinations that look aesthetically better depending on the orientation chosen.

Reactions: Brude27 and chyll2

Wahaha360

a.k.a W360
Original poster
SFFLAB
NCASE
SSUPD
Feb 23, 2015
Sorry if I wasn't being clear.

What I meant by performance suffering is that, 1. you can have the rad on the bottom(the smaller piece of the front panel on the bottom), which looks better.
2. You can flip so the rad is on the top. Better cooling performance but doesn't look as good as option 1.

So I'm saying that for a 2 piece design, the user needs to choose between aesthetics vs performance. Of course aesthetics is subjective but I would say most agree rad on bottom looks better.

Edit: If I'm still being unclear: Option 1 is like that CES2019 photo of the case being next to Ghost S1.
Option2 is like that rendered size comparison with other sff cases.

1. Prototype 2 Front Lid and Front Chassis dimensions changed to match the Golden Ratio.
2. Silkscreening the window or applying a decal to hide the radiator and fan might improve the appearance too

I think flipping the case will not look as bad with prototype 2.

* Prototype 2 will support multiple PSU mounting positions, including 90 degree rotated PSU mounting.

The 90 degree rotated PSU mounting shown sacrifices 2 x 2.5" HDD support for better thermals. When rotated 90 degrees, less of the fan area is blocked by the SFX PSU compare to default mounting, in theory, this should lead to better temperature - we will test when Prototype 2 arrives.

Last edited:

Wahaha360

a.k.a W360
Original poster
SFFLAB
NCASE
SSUPD
Feb 23, 2015
I’ve seen a few numbers and charts thrown around, but can anyone point me toward empirical testing of component temperatures with varying airflow clearance for case fans and/or radiator fans? E.g. holding fan speed constant, my gpu temps seemed to drop a few degrees when I propped up my M1 so the bottom intake fans got better airflow. Obviously there’s a little more at play in this case for the top vs bottom orientations (push vs pull, positive vs negative pressure).

And thank you again for keeping the first post updated, it’s so handy for quickly reviewing the project’s current state

I will test inside the case once we get Prototype 2.

Wahaha360

a.k.a W360
Original poster
SFFLAB
NCASE
SSUPD
Feb 23, 2015
Also for that cooler test you did, it seems strange that D15 would perform worse than Corsair H60.

Optimum Tech did a recent video and D15 was 5.5℃ cooler than NZXT X52, a 240mm AIO. Using Noctua Sterrox fans on X52 made it slightly cooler, but still 5.2℃ hotter than D15 stock fans.

Good question, I don't know.

I know the NZXT is an Asetek unit, the Corsair H60 I tested is running on 1) better pump, 2) new 2018 non-Asetek radiator. I'm not sure that will get you 5C though. So I don't know.

teodoro

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 8, 2018
What’s the clearance between the mobo and psu when in the 90 degree orientation? I know the design doesn’t have sfx-l in mind, but with that rotation sfx-l units should be <1cm closer to the mobo compared to sfx in the “normal” position. I might be describing that poorly, but hopefully you get the gist. I’ve still got my eye on that fully passive unit

Brude27

Master of Cramming
Jun 21, 2018
I think flipping the case will not look as bad with prototype 2.

I've always preferred the look of the top radiator on SideArmD if it means anything... but I'm also in love with the design in general! The two-tone is unique and looks great in either orientation, but everyone has their preference. I can't wait to see more on Prototype 2! :)

Reactions: PBJ and Biowarejak

chyll2

Master of Cramming
Jun 27, 2018
I personally like the two tone. I really love those thick CNC frame. Cant wait to see the prototype 2 and the eventual release.

Reactions: Esso and PBJ

BillT

Average Stuffer
Jan 26, 2019
Is it possible to swap the locations of the PSU and 120 rad mounting? That is to say, even when the smaller piece front panel is on the bottom, you still get rad/fan on top for the best cooling.

I agree that two tone looks great, if the smaller piece front panel is on the bottom.

Like you said, prototype 2 improves the look when flipped, but wouldn't you agree that smaller-piece front panel on the bottom still looks miles better?

Wahaha360

a.k.a W360
Original poster
SFFLAB
NCASE
SSUPD
Feb 23, 2015
What’s the clearance between the mobo and psu when in the 90 degree orientation? I know the design doesn’t have sfx-l in mind, but with that rotation sfx-l units should be <1cm closer to the mobo compared to sfx in the “normal” position. I might be describing that poorly, but hopefully you get the gist. I’ve still got my eye on that fully passive unit

SFX-L in 90 degree rotated orientation will not work. Don't forget there is the C13-C14 inlet cable that stick out, so it won't fit.

SFX-L in regular orientation might fit if you loose the AIO + Fan, so your call.

Reactions: teodoro

Wahaha360

a.k.a W360
Original poster
SFFLAB
NCASE
SSUPD
Feb 23, 2015
Is it possible to swap the locations of the PSU and 120 rad mounting? That is to say, even when the smaller piece front panel is on the bottom, you still get rad/fan on top for the best cooling.

I agree that two tone looks great, if the smaller piece front panel is on the bottom.

Like you said, prototype 2 improves the look when flipped, but wouldn't you agree that smaller-piece front panel on the bottom still looks miles better?

For Positive Pressure orientation, the AIO cannot be mounted to the top. There is a Strut across the case for structural support and mobo mounting. Moving the AIO to the top will conflict with this part.

Again, this goes to my question - what is your target temperature on what CPU and what fan speed?

I suspect Positive Pressure Orientation temps will be very close to Negative Pressure Orientation with Alphacool LT240 (240mm ) radiator. In that scenario, do you really need to flip it for better airflow?

BillT

Average Stuffer
Jan 26, 2019
For Positive Pressure orientation, the AIO cannot be mounted to the top. There is a Strut across the case for structural support and mobo mounting. Moving the AIO to the top will conflict with this part.

Again, this goes to my question - what is your target temperature on what CPU and what fan speed?

I suspect Positive Pressure Orientation temps will be very close to Negative Pressure Orientation with Alphacool LT240 (240mm ) radiator. In that scenario, do you really need to flip it for better airflow?

I am happy with my current ATX tower but is planning on upgrading with Ryzen 3000 in an ITX enclosure. I'm targeting at least 8 core @ hopefully 5Ghz all core. If Ryzen disappoints then I'll go 9900K.

For GPU probably 2080Ti, so 3 slot would be nice. For temps I'm an as low as possible in a given size kind of guy, as long as the noise is not unbearable.

I'm confused by your use of Positive and negative air pressure orientations. Do you mind explaining? I don't mind negative air pressure. I'm just looking for rad on top for best cooling and smaller piece front panel on bottom for better looks.

Brude27

Master of Cramming
Jun 21, 2018
1. Prototype 2 Front Lid and Front Chassis dimensions changed to match the Golden Ratio.

I was thrilled when Prototype 2's renderings were posted, but the change to the two-tone ratio had me questioning if I actually liked the change... I realize that it's human nature to initially prefer the "before" of something we really like after it gets changed, so I wanted to get used to the change before commenting about it... Here we are a couple of days later, and while I really like Prototype 2, I still think that the ratio in Prototype 1 is more visually appealing.

I had all but convinced myself that I preferred prototype 2 this morning when I asked my friend if he had seen the new renderings, which he hadn't... so I took it upon myself to quickly make an image showcasing similar pictures between the two versions... Once I did that, and had the prototypes laid out together in front of me... I went back to preferring Prototype 1. I have included that picture at the bottom of this message for anyone interested.

As I've mentioned in previous posts, I plan to have the radiator on top (so black on top of silver), so my opinion was formed with that orientation in mind.

This post doesn't further anything, but I was curious if anyone else preferred Prototype 1 over Prototype 2? Obviously the end call is up to @Wahaha360 , and clearly both versions are still good considering I continue going back and forth on which I prefer, haha.

Keep up the great work, Dan! I always get excited when I see notifications for this thread! :)

Reactions: chyll2

chyll2

Master of Cramming
Jun 27, 2018
if we are voting, I would vote for P1 but in the end, I really want the two tone to stay (so either works and as you said, it is up to wahaha360 to decide)

PBJ

Airflow Optimizer
Jan 6, 2019
I was thrilled when Prototype 2's renderings were posted, but the change to the two-tone ratio had me questioning if I actually liked the change... I realize that it's human nature to initially prefer the "before" of something we really like after it gets changed, so I wanted to get used to the change before commenting about it... Here we are a couple of days later, and while I really like Prototype 2, I still think that the ratio in Prototype 1 is more visually appealing.

I had all but convinced myself that I preferred prototype 2 this morning when I asked my friend if he had seen the new renderings, which he hadn't... so I took it upon myself to quickly make an image showcasing similar pictures between the two versions... Once I did that, and had the prototypes laid out together in front of me... I went back to preferring Prototype 1. I have included that picture at the bottom of this message for anyone interested.

As I've mentioned in previous posts, I plan to have the radiator on top (so black on top of silver), so my opinion was formed with that orientation in mind.

This post doesn't further anything, but I was curious if anyone else preferred Prototype 1 over Prototype 2? Obviously the end call is up to @Wahaha360 , and clearly both versions are still good considering I continue going back and forth on which I prefer, haha.

Keep up the great work, Dan! I always get excited when I see notifications for this thread! :)

Looking at them side by side does make it difficult to decide, but I prefer Prototype 2.

Although I never thought it before this, P2 looks more balanced and part of the case as opposed to P1 that perhaps looks more like an add on.

In the end I would have no complaints with either though.

Reactions: Esso

Brude27

Master of Cramming
Jun 21, 2018
I'm sure it's just a familiarity thing that makes me prefer the ratio of P1 vs P2... and I bet it's b/c of coffee thermoses. I realize that sounds silly, but it's back to the human nature thing... it's something I see all the time, so in being super familiar with it... I'm drawn to it more.

See what I mean? Haha >.<

Reactions: rfarmer

Wahaha360

a.k.a W360
Original poster
SFFLAB
NCASE
SSUPD
Feb 23, 2015
Update 2019-04-09 : Open Bench Test Updated

1. Alphacool LT240 shows near identical performance to XSPC TX240
2. 2x Noctua A12x25 fans vs. Noctua A12x25 + A12x15 makes little difference.

* CPU NOT Delided

Alphacool LT240, Noctua A12x25 + A12x15 (1st img), 2x Noctua A12x25 (2nd img)

XSPC TX240, Noctua A12x25 + A12x15 (1st img), 2x Noctua A12x25 (2nd img)

Last edited:

teodoro

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 8, 2018
I was never quite clear on it: will the H60 fit in the case, or were you just using it as a reference point for cooler performance?