Concept Side Exhaust Graphics Cards.

Ibraah3m

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Mar 9, 2017
I know SFF cases are already extremely tiny but yet I still find myself wanting something smaller.

Walking to my next lecture this idea came to mind, It's probably a bad idea for many reasons that I don't know yet but here it goes. So I've been sketching a SFF case with side exhausts (because my 3d rendering skills are not existent) and the perfect case to me would be the same dimensions as a 13'" macbook pro aside from the height, and the design should lend from the MBP aesthetic as well. The idea is to use these here dynatron k199 coolers with a low enough TDP cpu for it never to have to run at max, a 8700T would be the goal but budgets still exist for me.

Dynatron K199

What I would like to know if any of you tested or can give an expert opinion of if it would be possible to use just the fans of two of these coolers in the same way aftermarket fans are used on the GPU heatsink pictured below"

That is all for now :)

el01

King of Cable Management
Jun 4, 2018
Probably, the main issue would being getting the fan attached to the heatsink: the original fan has cutouts on the sides. Otherwise, I would be concerned about the static pressure of such thin fans: the one attached originally to the heatsink is (most likely) designed to blast air into the (moderately) dense fin array. Couple low static pressure with VRM heatsinks helping "recycle" the air blasted from under the CPU to into the cooler again, and you've got slight issues.

EDIT: I'm confused. What do you want to strap a heatsink onto and which heatsink do you want to use? It seems like you're suggesting the use of a GPU cooler to cool a CPU (from the title).

Ibraah3m

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Mar 9, 2017
Sorry for being so unclear.

In short the aim is to cool a GPU. From my understanding the stock GPU coolers act as exhausts and draw heat away from the heatsinks - maybe stop me if I got this wrong here - so what I would like to do is use just the fan on the CPU cooler pictured above (dynatron k199) and place it onto the GPU heatsink so that it pulls air off the heatsink but out the side.

I wish I could model a picture instead

Reactions: el01

Therandomness

Cable-Tie Ninja
Nov 9, 2016
Well, the fans blow air down into the heatsink, with the air then going out to either side in the example you posted up there (the fan flows parallel to the fins). The dynatron cooler would just have the air exhausted out at one side instead of both.

Reactions: el01

el01

King of Cable Management
Jun 4, 2018
Sorry for being so unclear.

In short the aim is to cool a GPU. From my understanding the stock GPU coolers act as exhausts and draw heat away from the heatsinks - maybe stop me if I got this wrong here - so what I would like to do is use just the fan on the CPU cooler pictured above (dynatron k199) and place it onto the GPU heatsink so that it pulls air off the heatsink but out the side.

I wish I could model a picture instead
The thiccness of the server fan is not ideal, as (probably) the "spray" (as I like to call it in very scientific terms) of the airflow is not directed at all of the fins on the heatsink (I assume, given how tight the space is going to be and the shroud). I would get some NF-A12x25s on there. Otherwise, check out Galax 1070 Katana and maybe find the cooler from that:

http://www.galax.com/en/graphics-card/10-series/galax-geforcer-gtx-1070-katana.html

Reactions: Ibraah3m and Phuncz

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
1. You will need to use thin itx or custom rear IO plates. The height of a standard rear IO required also allows the PC to fit the noctua NH-L9.

2. Are around 27mm in height I think the CNPS2x by zalman would be a much more capable cooler than the K99.