Shuttle DH370 Build Experience

m-i-c-k-e-y

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Feb 13, 2018
Hello ?I'm Michael a lurker here in this forum. And as my first post. I wanted to share to you my experience in building the Shuttle DH370.

BACKGROUND
For a long time I wanted to build an SFF for myself. It will be an occasional do-it-all bedside computer. Gaming hardware was out. If we're talking a few years back, maybe...but as years progress your tastes changes also. Right now I wanted it to be a good all-around media player.

This will be my first build after 8-9 years. That monster is still running beautifully ?.

Last Build:

THE SEARCH
I wanted something small. Watercooling is out the question. Too lazy to maintain ?. Was looking at Dan A4 or NCase M1 with possible configurations. However my curiosity shifted to NUCs (why go custom if this kit could do the job?). Specially Intel's NUC8i7BEH w/ i7-8559U processor and HD 655 Iris graphics. Then Shuttle released the DH370. A 1.3L barebones kit that can support 1151V2 65w CPU . So its between DH370's i9 processor or Intel NUC's HD 655 graphics. Since my basic requirement was only to play 4K video and am using an LH Labs Geek Pulse Infinity DAC/Amp w/ LPS4 thru an LH Revive USB Reclocker , I choose the latter for its USB ports ?...(w/ the bragging i9 CPU in a 1.3L case)

SHUTTLE DH370

CONFIGURATION
Shuttle DH370 Barebones Kit
Intel Core i9-9900
Corsair Vengeance DDR4 SO-DIMM 32 GB (2x16GB) 2666Mhz
Samsung MZ-V7S1T0 970 EVO Plus m.2 SSD 1TB
Intel 9260NGW NGFF 802.11 ac + Bluetooth 5.0
Shuttle PVG01 VGA D-Sub extension
Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut
Leicke 19V 6.3A 120W Adapter
(change the supplied 90W adapter since power draw during review testings goes up to 95W)

ASSEMBLY
Was surprised the quality build of the kit ?. Somewhat was built for industrial purposes. Also the sockets, feels sturdy.
Build layout is straight forward. My only concern is cooling. Near non existent customization. I MIGHT fit a 60MM x 15MM PWM Fan. That will be however in the future. Did not bought a 2.5 HDD since I wanted to see if I could squeeze in a 15MM variant too (Seagate 2.5 5TB).

All components Installed.

With heatsink + fans and HDD cage installed

SO 15mm BARELY fits to Fan and HDD question.

USER EXPERIENCE
My 9 yr old computer was a i7 920 OCd to 4.2GHZ 12GB of RAM w/ OCZ RevoDrive 3 PCIe 120GB SSD w/ SLI GTX480. And is still rolling. But THIS is fast (Hey I am a guy whose running TRS80s in his teens on the early 80s).

I'm happy?. BUT then the fans started rolling ?....(me: Oh gosh! It couldn't keep up! Me and my fantasy of having a i9 cpu). It seems that everytime Speedstep kicks in the fans kicks in high gear to compensate the heat. SOLUTION: Disable Speedstep/Turbo, run on baseclock only ?. QUESTION: How much performance did I sacrificed?

At the end I LIKE IT ?! Without the Speedstep/Turbo the unit is quiet, gets the job done, and its small.

NOW, when will that Intel Ghost Canyon NUC9i9QNX be released? ?

BENCHMARKS
Some free benchmarks for its performance:

Cinebench R15 @ Baseclock (3.1GHZ) Note: Max temps @ 69-72ºc

Cinebench R15 w/ Speedstep/Turbo (5 GHZ) Note: Max temps @ 84-89ºc dropped a frame on OpenGL w/ 44pts difference in CPU

Cinebench R20 @ Baseclock (3.1GHZ) Note: Max temps @ 73-76ºc

Cinebench R20 w/ Speedstep/Turbo (5 GHZ) Note: Max temps @ 89-96ºc w/ 40pts difference in CPU

Samsung SSD benchmarks

Samsung SSD w/ Diskcache (using PrimoCache by Romex Software)

Thanks for your patience!
Here for the FUN of it.

Last edited:
Reactions: rfarmer

Sparkey70

What's an ITX?
Sep 27, 2019
That build is Sweet!!!! I wonder if making some Noctua fan replacements. I just got this build but with an i7 9700. It is sweet so far!

Last edited:

m-i-c-k-e-y

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Feb 13, 2018
Thanks!! IME I reccomend to disable the Speedstep. Just for the fan not kicking in too quickly. Slight speed degrade. But a huge difference in noise management.

Noctua is to high am afraid. Best options so far i think is Evercool 60x15mm PWM or Gelid Silent 6 .

But at the end, as you said, it is sweet.

If they could sandwich at the bottom a two slot mini GPU that would be swell!

Last edited: