Short review of the Jonsbo U2

phaelax

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Jul 7, 2017
My quick review of the Jonsbo U2 (also called Rosewill Legacy U2 apparently). QuietPC is the only website I managed to find that still had this case, as I don't believe it's manufactured anymore. It was £58.71 + £28.19 shipping and it arrived in 3 days.

The exterior has your usual layout; a power button with led light around it, 2x 3.0 usb and mic/headphone jacks.

I was picky about dimensions because I wanted it to fit on the hutch of my desk. This case was the closest I found. And not satisfied with how my custom acrylic case is coming along, I went ahead and bought this. (black wasn't available at the time)

My first impression? Not happy. Advertised as an aluminum case, but it isn't. At least not completely. The side panels are aluminum, but the main piece that serves as the top, bottom, and face of the case appears to be plastic. This was disappointing. Regardless, it does seem like a pretty solid case despite being very light.

At first glance, you might think heat would be an issue given the lack of ventilation. There is none in the front, and the sides offer very little. The bottom does have many slots cut out for ventilation, which will help the GPU which sits just half an inch off the bottom of the case. The back of the case can fit a 120mm fan. I'm using a Corsair H55 and at the moment I don't have a fan attached to the radiator. The included screws with the cooler are just barely long enough to go through only the radiator or just the fan, it doesn't reach through both of them like their pictures show. It'll be tight, but I think there's still enough room to fit the fan on the radiator inside this case.

The side panel comes off easily with two thumb screws. And there is a fan switch on the back to control speed.

There's room on the front of the case for a harddrive, I'm still using only an M.2 drive so I can't comment on the fit of a 3.5" yet. My NVMe drive is on the bottom of the motherboard, but the included standoffs give you more than enough clearance under the board. It's still pretty cramped in there and I would suggest attaching the front panel wires to the motherboard first before placing it in the case.

I strongly suggest a fully modular PSU. My wires are about twice as long as they need to be and make up the majority of the mess you see. The two thick flat cables you see crossing over the CPU are for the front USB ports.

I used Core Temp to monitor temperatures from Win10. I averaged 37-44c when idle in a room that was about 85f degrees. Not bad considering the cpu is a 7700k and I have no fan inside. But running Prime95 it quickly jumped to 77c within seconds and I stopped the test. I didn't want to push it before having a proper fan over the radiator.

As a rough comparison, I'm using the same cooler on a 3770k in an Antec P180 and stay around 45c while rendering in studio max.

Overall, it's a solid case, it doesn't feel cheap despite being half plastic. But looking at it, you would never notice without tapping on the sides. My PSU is 170mm deep, a bit longer than some others and yet it still fits ok.

Reactions: Phuncz and Kmpkt

fminus

Cable-Tie Ninja
May 14, 2016
Ahh my "favourite" company. My first SFF case was the Jonsbo U3. From what I recall, the entire case was aluminum but that was the least of my issues. While their cases look pretty nice aesthetically, they are HORRIBLE. Repeat. Horrible in regards to airflow and temperature. It's as if almost no thought goes into this when their design their cases.

Maybe it's just their SFF cases...who knows. This company reminds me now of a poormans Streacom.

Smanci

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Apr 21, 2017
Odd. I haven't found a piece of plastic in mine. The ventilation is very decent with air cooling.

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
Hmm, that is weird about the plastic feel. What made the wraparound piece feel like plastic to you? I had the Rosewill version of the case for quite some time and the whole body looks and very much feels like solid aluminum.

P.S. for better cable management I tend to run the power cables underneath the board, especially if they are slim cables like the ones you have. The extra tall motherboard standoffs make that space underneath a good place to tuck those cables in.

phaelax

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Jul 7, 2017
Could've sworn I responded to this days already. Maybe I didn't hit post.

The manual even says all aluminum as Phuncz points out, and maybe it is. Could be a coating over the metal that makes it feel like plastic? Tapping on the sides versus the main body make two distinctly different sounds. One metallic, one just a flat thud like plastic. I can even pull up on the top slightly and watch it bend a little and go back into place. Metal doesn't really do that. I'd do a magnet test but...... aluminum.

for better cable management I tend to run the power cables underneath the board
Good thinking. I didn't worry about it too much since I still plan on taking it back out to test my own case when I finish it.

Reactions: Mtthwmths