SG13 VRM Cooling Options

firemike

What's an ITX?
Original poster
Dec 6, 2018
Hey guys, I crammed a ton of stuff into my SG13 and it's resulted in extremely hot VRM temperatures. I have a full ATX PSU, Reference Sapphire Vega 64, a H60, and two sticks of ram which are blocking almost all airflow from the front fan on the radiator. Also I was silly and went with the solid front panel model. Here's my build for reference: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/sbdHKB

Here is a pic of my current VRM temps at idle.
I'm not an expert on computers by any mean, but 99c at idle dosen't sound very good. I'd like to improve airflow over my VRMs since I think it's causing stuttering in my games.

From what I've heard, my two best options are flipping the PSU to exhaust hot air and cramming in a 92 x 14mm fan between the motherboard and the left side of the case, and flipping the psu and adding a tiny fan over the VRMs. If any SG13 owners have any idea on how to improve airflow over the motherboard and which approach is optimal, please let me know. Thanks guys.

ondert

Airflow Optimizer
Apr 16, 2017
I had a pc built in SG13 before and the total wattage weren't much like yours. Mine had Ryzen a 5 1600X being cooled by Silverstone 120mm AIO with a 120x25mm fan, an m.2 nvme ssd behind the mobo, a reference gtx 1080 and a 500w sfx-l psu. So, I haven't much cable hanging around, 8 pin for cpu, 24pin for mobo and 8 pin for gpu. Sfx-l psu also leaved me a bit more space. Also, I had removed and not installed the hdd bracket before. The first thing I did was flipping the psu up-side down. So, the psu fan acts as an exhaust. Second, I installed the AIO fan as Silverstone recommends (behind the radiator) and the fan orientation was also as an intake. Btw, my case has a mesh grid on the front.

bret0213

Efficiency Noob
Dec 9, 2018
first thing I did was flipping the psu up-side down. So, the psu fan acts as an exhaust. Second, I installed the AIO fan as Silverstone recommends (behind the radiator) and the fan orientation was also as an intake.

Did having the AIO radiator blowing into the case not heat up you other components? I am trying to figure out out to get a 2080 ti and 9900k into the SG13. I might go with a different CPU though so i can run a 120mm fan. A aio looks like there will be to much heat for the GPU.