SG13 - a slim 2.5'' HDD with an ATX PSU (will it fit?)

szymon247

Caliper Novice
Original poster
May 2, 2017
Hello guys.
I have a SG13 build with a fairly long 165mm ATX PSU (thus no drive bracket).So far it's only had a single PciE M2 1TB SSD drive. However, since that drive is getting wasted on rarely accessed files and using external drives is bothersome, I was thinking about fitting a HDD into the case.
Easier said than done, it seems like the only reasonable location for it is on the floor, underneath the GPU (I also have a full sized GTX1070 there) Therefore, I found this solution:
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822236541
The drive is 7mm thick and has regular Sata and power ports. Theoretically, it seems like it should fit there, as it's the same thickness as SSDs that people successfully squeezed under their GPUs.
Is there anything that I should be wary about? Do you guys think it's a good idea?
Other than the obvious fit issue, I am worried about introducing vibration, and the fact that I would have to probably use double-sided sticky tape to mount it there. Any advice from SG13 owners would be much appreciated :D
The idea is to mount it here (borrowed photo):

Last edited:

XeaLouS

Cable-Tie Ninja
Dec 29, 2015
There is a spot for 2.5" hard drives under the gpu. it's in the manual.

Running a 180mm psu is fine as long as you don't need the drive bay.

You don't need the drive bay if only using m.2 and a single 2.5" ssd. You also wont need double sided tape, there are holes there.

Reactions: szymon247

szymon247

Caliper Novice
Original poster
May 2, 2017
There is a spot for 2.5" hard drives under the gpu. it's in the manual.

Running a 180mm psu is fine as long as you don't need the drive bay.

You don't need the drive bay if only using m.2 and a single 2.5" SSD. You also wont need double sided tape, there are holes there.

Thanks a lot! I saw those, but as they were referring to SSDs, I wasn't fully sure if a "laptop" HDD can be mounted there, thus the question if there will be any problems. I couldn't find anyone actually putting a Slim HDD there instead.
Also, I'm not sure if the WD drive has traditional mounting holes and if it did, I would still like to consider "cushioning" it from the bottom if space allows to mitigate vibration.

Last edited:

heckinwoofer

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Dec 14, 2017
Thanks a lot! I saw those, but as they were referring to SSDs, I wasn't fully sure if a "laptop" HDD can be mounted there, thus the question if there will be any problems. I couldn't find anyone actually putting a Slim HDD there instead.
Also, I'm not sure if the WD drive has traditional mounting holes and if it did, I would still like to consider "cushioning" it from the bottom if space allows to mitigate vibration.
Yes you can mount a 2.5 HDD at the bottom, but do pay attention to the orientation to the SATA and power connector if they are right angled. The right angled power connector from my CX650M is facing down when connected to the mounted HDD, so it does not fit.

XeaLouS

Cable-Tie Ninja
Dec 29, 2015

Your case doesn't know if the drive was for a laptop or desktop :) and laptop harddrives that are 2.5" conform to the same screw holes as desktops.

szymon247

Caliper Novice
Original poster
May 2, 2017
Yes you can mount a 2.5 HDD at the bottom, but do pay attention to the orientation to the SATA and power connector if they are right angled. The right angled power connector from my CX650M is facing down when connected to the mounted HDD, so it does not fit.
Great point and thank you, I wouldn't have thought of this being a problem, but I just checked and realized that my power cables are also right angled. I wonder if I can mount the hard drive upside down and go back to the sticky tape idea :D