Hey gang, I am running a system with the following specs:
  • Rzyen 3600
  • Gigabyte X570 ITX
  • Inland Premium NVME
  • 16 GB Crucial DDR4 3200
  • Sapphire Pulse 5700XT
  • Cooler Master NR200
  • Cooler Master Master Liquid ML280
  • 2x Noctua 120x15 and 2x Cooler Master Sickleflow 120 (both sets at 45% fan speed)
  • FSP Dagger Pro 550
This setup has a power draw, according to my UPS of 360 or so watts under peak gaming loads. I see between 345 and 360 while playing RDR2. After about 10 Minutes of RDR2 I notice the noise from the PC has picked up. At first I thought it was the CPU or GPU coolers but checking, neither was making all that much noise, it was instead the PSU.

I am curious of a couple of things.
  • Is my PSU underpowered to stay quiet, should I get a bigger PSU?
  • Is the PSU fan based purely off of wattage pulled as the various vendor charts indicate or is heat an issue for fan speed?
  • Is it just this PSU, would a different 550 in the same setup be quieter?

smitty2k1

King of Cable Management
Dec 3, 2016
Yes most, if not all, PSUs have their fan curves tied to power output.

You could try a fan mod or a different PSU. The Corsair gold and platinum PSUs are highly regarded as being the quietest SFX PSUs.

If your case can fit an SFX-L form factor PSU you have some more options, some of those have quieter 120mm fans.

Mopar63

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Jul 13, 2019
The case will fit an SFX-L but the modular cables actually push down on the GPU backplate. I have tried to pull them up enough but just not happening.

I am considing a fan fan with a Noctua 92x14 and also looking at an SF750 or a Silverstone SX-700PT

smitty2k1

King of Cable Management
Dec 3, 2016
The case will fit an SFX-L but the modular cables actually push down on the GPU backplate. I have tried to pull them up enough but just not happening.

I am considing a fan fan with a Noctua 92x14 and also looking at an SF750 or a Silverstone SX-700PT
If you're willing to pay the price you can't go wrong with the SF750 platinum.