Production SFFtime presents: P-ATX V3 - 10.4L evolution of ATX console case

L91

Average Stuffer
Dec 21, 2021
www.youtube.com
Hi everyone,

I am proud to showcase the new design of my P-ATX case, I am really excited about this one.

The idea behind this new version is to address some of the cons of V2 design, mainly weight, production time, and lack of gen4 riser option. But I went a bit further than that so V3 brings all this to the table:

1. Fully aluminum construction - all parts will be made from 1.5mm aluminum sheet, which will simplify the production and lower the weight by full 2kg, for a total weight of 1.66 kg plus cables

2. Flatpack - totally new construction style that enables case to be fully disassembled and flatpacked to around 27mm. It will require some simply assembly but I am sure that many of you will enjoy this adult "lego" assembly style :)

3. Economical and eco-friendly, small volume packaging without ANY plastic at all. Lower shipping weight will also lower the shipping price, I doubt I will get it below 2kg, but it should be below 2.5kg which means I can ship two cases for the price of one

4. Invertible layout - yes, I managed to do it without making either layout look worse, wasn't easy. So good news for anyone who uses AIO, or keeps the case on the left side of the table. It is also very easy to change the layout, you only need to remove the side panels, 8 screws in total.

5. Gen4 riser support - ok this wasn't as easy as it seems, long story short it will come with "gen4 compatible" riser that will enable boot to bios and OS so you can change your setting to gen3 without the trouble, and there will be an option to upgrade to a true gen4 riser, linkup style.

6. USB-C front connector - yes I know, it is 2022. Also yes, we hate that unwieldy internal usb3 cable, I agree

7. GPU position fully adjustable without steps, from 1 slot to 3 slots, with markings for every 0.25 slot so you don't have to guess the riser position

8. Fully perforated right panel - many of you asked for this and I also wanted to make it this way so finally it is here.

And a few other small tweaks. Also one big thing is that this type of chassis construction will enable easier, faster, more precise manufacturing, which means I will be able to make more cases faster, and have more time for new designs and customer support. Also it is friendly for stamping, so who know, maybe one day :)

I am currently waiting for the prototype, I have already submitted the files for the production. Compatibility is the same as with V2, with a few less 2.5" and one less 3.5" drive mount but one 3.5" drive mount is not all the way to the back so you can have a bit wider GPU with 3.5" drive.

Enjoy the renders and please give me your feedback below, thank you a lot for reading!

And flatpack, empty space will be filled with internal cables and some cardboard to hold all the parts:

Excellent revisions, keep up the good work 🙌

Reactions: riba2233

Etalon

What's an ITX?
New User
Apr 12, 2022
This looks very good! I was wondering it there might be an option for cases with less passive venting for those who want to run positive pressure filtered ventilation? The difficulty I see is I need to mount enough fans with filters to make sure the filtered air goes the right way.

Reactions: riba2233

riba2233

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
SFF Time
Jan 2, 2019
www.sfftime.com
This looks very good! I was wondering it there might be an option for cases with less passive venting for those who want to run positive pressure filtered ventilation? The difficulty I see is I need to mount enough fans with filters to make sure the filtered air goes the right way.

Hi, thanks, glad you like it!

I thought about it, but that option could only work if you had the vent holes precisely matched for the hardware that is inside. Every gpu has different fan config, and every mbo has socket in another place not to mention cpu coolers. And it would look worse visually. Another problem is that dust filters would seriously impact the cooling performance.

This version is most compatible and imho best for overall cooling capacity, and case that is this small and that can't have forced ventilation really has to have as mush perforation as possible from my experience.

Meekyuu

Caliper Novice
Apr 13, 2022
It is a shame that there is not some way to cram a 240 into the case, such as with a next gen liquid cooled GPU. I fear the size of 4090s and such when it comes to compatibility. Personally I use my machine for heavy VR acceleration and am currently situated in a meshlicious, but prefer this form factor and would like to go a little smaller. Hopefully flagships ship in 3slot configs as well.

scatterforce

Master of Cramming
May 21, 2018
It is a shame that there is not some way to cram a 240 into the case, such as with a next gen liquid cooled GPU. I fear the size of 4090s and such when it comes to compatibility. Personally I use my machine for heavy VR acceleration and am currently situated in a meshlicious, but prefer this form factor and would like to go a little smaller. Hopefully flagships ship in 3slot configs as well.
I think you can... with some creative construction. Using an ITX motherboard, a flex PSU, and a single slot GPU waterblock, it is possible to use a 240mm rad. The dimensions support this, but you'll likely need to add some holes for mounting.

Meekyuu

Caliper Novice
Apr 13, 2022
I think you can... with some creative construction. Using an ITX motherboard, a flex PSU, and a single slot GPU waterblock, it is possible to use a 240mm rad. The dimensions support this, but you'll likely need to add some holes for mounting.
Certainly a challenge. Hope we getsome higher watt gan PSUs in the future. I'd easily pay 400 for a 850 or 1000w flex psu

Meekyuu

Caliper Novice
Apr 13, 2022
What would be the absolute most overkill cooler that the P-ATX case could handle CPU wise? I was debating an LMed AXP-100 full copper with a p12slim fan swap. Do you have any crazy cooling ideas? I'd love to hear your more overkill thoughts.

Nightblade

Airflow Optimizer
Nov 29, 2017
@riba2233 some questions, if you will

But first, I must say I like the design. very well thought out. I saw the previous version reviewed by Hardware Canucks so I am looking forward to this new revision.

1. does this support Thin-ITX or PIO boards? I know you said that it has an invertible layout, but would like some confirmation on this.

2. what is the max cpu cooler height for this?

3. Am considering using this for an AIO build, would it be possible to mount a monitor to one of the side panels?

4. as far as pricing goes, are we looking at similar pricing for V3 as was V2?

riba2233

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
SFF Time
Jan 2, 2019
www.sfftime.com
@riba2233 some questions, if you will

But first, I must say I like the design. very well thought out. I saw the previous version reviewed by Hardware Canucks so I am looking forward to this new revision.

1. does this support Thin-ITX or PIO boards? I know you said that it has an invertible layout, but would like some confirmation on this.

2. what is the max cpu cooler height for this?

3. Am considering using this for an AIO build, would it be possible to mount a monitor to one of the side panels?

4. as far as pricing goes, are we looking at similar pricing for V3 as was V2?

Hi, glad you like it!

1. If thinITX has the same mounting hole spacing (I am fairly sure it does) they it should work, minus the io shield probably. PIO board no way, they would probably hit the top panel

2. 59-60mm

3. AIO kind of requires airflow through both sides, so might not be ideal if you block one side with the monitor, but it could be done id the screen is not that big

4. It should be similar yeah, but some riser options will cost more .

Nightblade

Airflow Optimizer
Nov 29, 2017
Hi, glad you like it!

1. If thinITX has the same mounting hole spacing (I am fairly sure it does) they it should work, minus the io shield probably. PIO board no way, they would probably hit the top panel

2. 59-60mm

3. AIO kind of requires airflow through both sides, so might not be ideal if you block one side with the monitor, but it could be done id the screen is not that big

4. It should be similar yeah, but some riser options will cost more .

1. Dang. I was hoping to avoid having to deal with riser cables by having the 90 degree pci express slot.

2. cool

3. I was actually going to see if the holes on the side panel would match up to vesa mounting holes and mount it that way. Most monitors are not completely flat on the back, there's usually a bulge for the controller and psu. So I could expect it to only partially block the the side panel.

4. Well if I could get an itx board or matx board with a 90 degree pci express slot then I won't need a riser cable. (unless the case doesn't support the cards in that orientation?)

riba2233

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
SFF Time
Jan 2, 2019
www.sfftime.com
1. Dang. I was hoping to avoid having to deal with riser cables by having the 90 degree pci express slot.

2. cool

3. I was actually going to see if the holes on the side panel would match up to vesa mounting holes and mount it that way. Most monitors are not completely flat on the back, there's usually a bulge for the controller and psu. So I could expect it to only partially block the the side panel.

4. Well if I could get an itx board or matx board with a 90 degree pci express slot then I won't need a riser cable. (unless the case doesn't support the cards in that orientation?)

4. it doesn't, but that is why we have case mods :) This is basically the only supported gpu mounting orientation:

Meekyuu

Caliper Novice
Apr 13, 2022
Riba, I was wondering: Do you have a rough timeline for when you expect to throw orders for the P-ATX v3 up? Saw that the MNLT went up recently and wondering how long the turn around time will be for the P-ATX.