confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
Original poster
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
Sennheiser, a brand with a significant history in audio equipment design and manufacture, recently invited me to experience their pinnacle achievement, the HE-1. A successor to Sennheiser's original Orpheus headphones, the HE-1 is the result of years of no-compromises development led by Orpheus creator, Axel Grell and directed by the Sennheiser family. While I'm sure you have heard of Sennheiser as a brand, you may not be aware of this headphone, DAC and amplifier combo, which is priced at the ultra-premium end of the range - at around 55,000 EUR.

Read more here.

(And yes, that is a full stop at the end of the article title, something not in any way normal for my content, however, I feel that it is justified in this case.)

HeroXLazer

King of Cable Management
Sep 11, 2016
Sennheiser, a brand with a significant history in audio equipment design and manufacture, recently invited me to experience their pinnacle achievement, the HE-1. A successor to Sennheiser's original Orpheus headphones, the HE-1 is the result of years of no-compromises development led by Orpheus creator, Axel Grell and directed by the Sennheiser family. While I'm sure you have heard of Sennheiser as a brand, you may not be aware of this headphone, DAC and amplifier combo, which is priced at the ultra-premium end of the range - at around 55,000 EUR.

Read more here.

(And yes, that is a full stop at the end of the article title, something not in any way normal for my content, however, I feel that it is justified in this case.)
Two of my favorite things, SFF Forum and Audiophile gear.

Hifihedgehog

Editor-in-chief of SFFPC.review
May 3, 2016
www.sffpc.review
Given my handle, it goes without saying that I am an avid audiophile, having demoed and owned countless orthodynamic and dynamic headphones, Teutonic and Chinese alike, stopping just short of the multi-thousand dollar electrostatic Stax and Sennheiser's legendary Orpheus in its two iterations, classic and modern. Having just acquired the HD 800 in a shrewd deal as of a week ago as my "end game" and super-birthday-and-college-graduation gift, it is easily the best sub-$2000 headphone I have heard from among the many other flagships I have heard from AKG, Beyerdynamic, Grado, HiFiMAN, and more. Given such, I am would not be surprised in the least if Sennheiser's new Orpheus HE-1 is mind-blowing and captivating to listen to, especially from the accounts I have heard of its predecessor, the original HE-90. By the way, whether you are a beginner to audio or a seasoned headphile, I highly recommend giving David Mahler's article "The Battle of the Flagships" on Head-Fi a read for perhaps the ultimate who's who of the world's elite headphones.

Last edited:
Reactions: Phuncz and confusis

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
Original poster
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
SFFn's original focus was solely on SFF computing, however, I think the premium peripherals that our community delights in, the peripherals that complete the experience, seems to be a valid addition to the range of content we publish :) Hence the recent divergence to the DJI Mavic Air and Sennheiser HE-1 events. I plan on more peripheral reviews in the coming months :D

Hifihedgehog

Editor-in-chief of SFFPC.review
May 3, 2016
www.sffpc.review
SFFn's original focus was solely on SFF computing, however, I think the premium peripherals that our community delights in, the peripherals that complete the experience, seems to be a valid addition to the range of content we publish :) Hence the recent divergence to the DJI Mavic Air and Sennheiser HE-1 events. I plan on more peripheral reviews in the coming months :D
I highly recommend reaching out to DUNU and FiiO, then. FiiO's EX-1 2nd Gen (an iteration of their rebranded DUNU Titan earphones) offers perhaps the best price-to-performance ratio in all of headphone-dom. They are dynamic, open and detailed like full-sized premium cans but are easily pocketable IEMs, complete with headset microphone even, that cost just $60. I personally prefer them to the classic "teutonic triple"--the HD 600, K701 and DT 880--which honestly speaks volumes of their sound quality.

Reactions: Phuncz and confusis

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Interesting item ! I am quite aware of the difference in quality a good pair of headphones can give. Which is why I'm still rocking my ye olde Sennheiser HD 555 and haven't replaced it with a gaming headset (most below 200$ are of much less sound quality). Also because I dislike closed headphones.

Reactions: Hifihedgehog

stree

Airflow Optimizer
Dec 10, 2016
I use Sennheiser TR-120 wireless.. Bought second hand for £30 about 10 years ago. Basic and simple, comfortable and dependable.
Replaced original rechargeable batteriess once about 4 years ago, and very occasional squirt of electrical contact cleaner on tune and volume dials pots sort out any white noise and fuzz . Choice of 3 bandwidths, so always a signal available.
perfectly happy with these. Great brand.

AleksandarK

/dev/null
May 14, 2017
This is THE situation of overpriced tech, where, if i had the money, i would buy it!

Keep them coming. Diversity is a good thing and i really enjoy the content, as your writing is entertaining in any form.