confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
Original poster
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
Just before Computex 2017, we were treated to a sneak preview of something different - the CRYORIG C7, but in all copper form. With claims of 10-15% improvement in initial testing, down to community members reporting no real improvement, the C7 Cu has been a controversial product to say the least.

With a review unit in hand (finally!), today we set out to review the C7 Cu versus the original aluminium variant. Unfortunately, we gave away our original CRYORIG C7 some time ago, so with the help of SFF Network Patrons, we picked up a new one to enable apples to apples testing, and see where the numbers truly lie.

Read more here.

TheHig

King of Cable Management
Oct 13, 2016
Totally feel that the Cu is a near miss. The Cu is too expensive for where it ranks vs the $40 L9i/a and too loud as well.

I too like the look of but can’t stand to listen to the fan. My C7 has been sitting in its box after using it for less than 2 weeks.

As always thanks for the review and this definitely answers my questions regarding the C7 cu.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
The conclusion I make from this is that the change to all-copper only matters when you can dissipate the heat faster than aluminium can absorb it. As the the temps are roughly the same in lower fan speeds, it's clear the air flow is the bottle neck. Which makes sense as copper has a higher heat conductivity but it still needs to be dissipated.

So ideally, larger heatsinks with a limited thickness and airflow restrictiveness would benefit the most from copper fins, if noise is considered. At which point probably the heatpipes and the contact they make will be the next limiting factor (so basically manufacturing tolerances).

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016
*sees title* OH NO WAY NICE /click

EDIT: interesting, so it's possibly mounting pressure issues for those complaining of lackluster difference? o_o
still slightly better than the noctua L9aM4 though

Last edited:

comagoosie

sff is life
May 8, 2018
Thoughts:

We have a video! May this be a sign of things to come. The video really gives weight to your troubles with the cooler, and is well done (imo)

Patron funded hardware -- money well spent

Notcua l9a-am4 height omitted. The article mentions Noctua is quieter and is toe-to-toe with C7 CU, but l9a is also shorter at 37mm vs 47mm. So if one case has a max cpu cooler height of 37mm vs something like 50mm, one should not worry about sacrificing too much if they opt for smaller ;)

Reactions: InfernoZeus

gdourado

Chassis Packer
Aug 10, 2017
Any idea how this performs in comparison to a Silverstone Ar11?

Trying to select a cooler to use in a Dan A4 case with an 8700 non k cpu.

Cheers

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
The L9a is about 10% more surface area than L9i.

The C7 also cannot be orientated parallel to the Ram slots to exhaust air more. The L9a can't as well, but it is not quite smushed next to the ram slot. The L9a width is 86mm while. The C7 is about 94mm.

Though to be honest, I think the main issue is that the C7 isn't a very balanced design. It is nice and compact but the surface area to heat pipe ratio, and the way the heatpipes are wrapped may cause less than optimal heat transfer. That is just a theory.

Reactions: Biowarejak

lupohki

Case Bender
Aug 3, 2018
Looks like the Thermolab LP53 with NF-A9x14 (42mm) is still the top dog for under 50mm? There's the all copper AXP-100 coming out that could be a contender?

Reactions: NinoPecorino

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
Looks like the Thermolab LP53 with NF-A9x14 (42mm) is still the top dog for under 50mm? There's the all copper AXP-100 coming out that could be a contender?

AXP-100 is 58mm tall. If you can somehow stuff a fan under it, which may require some bending, it'll work very well.