SFF Workshop - It's a thing! It's alive!

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
Original poster
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network

So, yesterday I posted an announcement as to where I've been. Now it's time to launch what I've been doing!

First up, a summary. SFF Workshop is a place where I have fun with tech, photography and other miscellaneous stuff. No reviews per se, just enjoying and exploring the world from my perspective.

These won't be polished perfection videos - just a chatty aesthetic, as if you're in the "workshop" with me. Fun, rather than work!

My first video is here:

Enjoy :) Not sure as to my publishing schedule - that sounds too much like work :p

- YouTube - Facebook - Instagram - Discord - Twitter -

Last edited:

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
So, yesterday I posted an announcement as to where I've been. Now it's time to launch what I've been doing!

First up, a summary. SFF Workshop is a place where I have fun with tech, photography and other miscellaneous stuff. No reviews per se, just enjoying and exploring the world from my perspective.

These won't be polished perfection videos - just a chatty aesthetic, as if you're in the "workshop" with me. Fun, rather than work!

My first video is here:

Enjoy :) Not sure as to my publishing schedule - that sounds too much like work :p

- YouTube - Facebook - Instagram - Discord - Twitter -

HYPE!!

Reactions: el01 and confusis

annasoh323

Master of Cramming
Apr 4, 2018
Alright! Your new ventures are off to a good start. An especially timely view for me since my latest ruminations have been about a NAS/media and storage server type project. I have no idea and no experience -- only a desire to offload files from my daily driver, have some remote file access, and centralize media for the family.

Edit: Follow-on question for @confusis: Am I correct in saying that calling it a server is more tied to its form factor rather than its function? You said that it would serve as a video editor, so functionally, it's more akin to a typical desktop, right? Or will you be running it in a more typical server-ish fashion where you make it a host which your client desktop will log into in order to run the video editing work? (I'm not too keyed into server-land so please forgive any misspoken words or concepts).

Last edited:

SFF EOL

Cable-Tie Ninja
Dec 9, 2018
Great fan of 'home' server racks so I think I'll enjoy these videos. I don't have a rack at the moment but was happier when I did, all the fun of ITX but lateral. Love that heat sink in the video, that is what I call passive cooling.

Reactions: confusis

confusis

Original poster
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
Alright! Your new ventures are off to a good start. An especially timely view for me since my latest ruminations have been about a NAS/media and storage server type project. I have no idea and no experience -- only a desire to offload files from my daily driver, have some remote file access, and centralize media for the family.

Edit: Follow-on question for @confusis: Am I correct in saying that calling it a server is more tied to its form factor rather than its function? You said that it would serve as a video editor, so functionally, it's more akin to a typical desktop, right? Or will you be running it in a more typical server-ish fashion where you make it a host which your client desktop will log into in order to run the video editing work? (I'm not too keyed into server-land so please forgive any misspoken words or concepts).
I'll be editing on my desktop and offloading the render to the server which will run the task whilst my workstation can perform other important things.. like Minecraft :p

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
By the way, for those who have been considering joining the discord, but haven't, just do it (lol).

It's a great place, and actually active at times.

annasoh323

Master of Cramming
Apr 4, 2018
I'll be editing on my desktop and offloading the render to the server which will run the task whilst my workstation can perform other important things.. like Minecraft :p
How do you offload the render? I've only dabbled in Davinci Resolve and all the times I've done final exporting, I've just done it in-place. Any tips for work (play?) flow optimization?

My latest "important thing" has been Overcooked 2 and Dying Light with my brother and sister. Both are frustrating and headdesk inducing for separate reasons...

Reactions: confusis

confusis

Original poster
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
There are official ways of doing I, but to be honest I will probably just move the Premiere Pro file to the server , remote desktop and render it in another install of Premiere Pro.. for now.

By the way, the next video should be up tomorrow. With the summer heat, an office move and life, it is a short voice over video, but I plan on getting some solid content going soon!

annasoh323

Master of Cramming
Apr 4, 2018
What server software will you be installing on it? (unless I missed it on the video, in which case I admit the shame I have incurred on me and my future generations)

annasoh323

Master of Cramming
Apr 4, 2018
Windows 10, adobe premiere pro :p simple little box really!
Windows 10 Pro, I presume (native remote desktop)? Unless you're using an alternate solution to remote in. Hmm... That has me thinking about something else. I'll have to investigate.
So Noctua, much quiet, wow! I see you're putting the Chromax kit to good use. Minecr- I mean, editing should be a breeze with this! I am looking forward to what the great confusis deems his children worthy of in their computers. "Here, play with this Raspberry Pi in this breathmint container. You must prove yourself worthy of this 1st Gen Nuc. Only then will you be strong enough to build in these <wave, flourish to display of SFF case review samples>."
you going to computex this year?
That'd be awesome! I guess this thread is the perpetual "SFF Workshop" thread?

Reactions: rfarmer

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
"Here, play with this Raspberry Pi in this breathmint container. You must prove yourself worthy of this 1st Gen Nuc. Only then will you be strong enough to build in these <wave, flourish to display of SFF case review samples>."

That does sound like something confusis would say. XD

Reactions: rfarmer